Decisions decisions, .260 REM or 7mm 08

204rips

Hi all, I’m looking at putting in a variation shortly for a deer rifle and have spend weeks researching and speaking to several people, some a lot more helpful than others I may add!

looking at the reloading manuals at both these rounds they stack up fairly close but I’m leading towards the .260, can I ask for your opinions and pro’s and con’s?

it will be used for Fallow and red mainly also some longer range fox work. I will be loading for it myself also.

Thanks in advance

caberslash

Same bullets, same advantage of the high BC small cartridge length etc, plus I don’t like following the common people, hence why I shoot a .204r for fox’s

6.5 SAUM (Short Action Ultra Magnum, sometimes also called Remington RSAUM)

Potential to leave the factory 6.5 PRC ammo in the dust if you reload and are willing to tote a 24" or longer barrel. 7mm SAUM a bit more sensible.

Dies and brass expensive, cool factor invaluable!

A personal 'grail' rifle is a Remington Model 7 7mm RSAUM.

the prowler

I do love the idea of a ackley chamber, .260ai is meant to be good also. Would I be ok to get the chamber re cut or a rebarrel though?
Would think its best to be done from the start. But no doubt others will correct me. Ai cartridges are very good. I had a 223ai. Once you fireform. Your all set to go. And ai helps the case from stretching. Apparently.

Malxwal

I do love the idea of a ackley chamber, .260ai is meant to be good also. Would I be ok to get the chamber re cut or a rebarrel though?
I know where there's a 260ai chambered barrel, Krieger I'm fairly sure, with negligible shot count. Was threaded to fit a Borden, but rifle dismantled and sold in parts.

204rips

I've got a custom sako75 204ruger 1-11twist so your quite common really.
Nice rifle! My feo hadn’t even heard of the .204 when I asked for one, I meant as in following the crowds and getting a .223 for example. How you liking the .204 mate?

HandB

If you are not yet decided and don't mind reloading, have a look at a 7x57. I am impressed with my BSA Hunter in that cartridge. It has good ballistics, good accuracy, a good range of projectiles and is nice and mild shooting with RS62 even when pushing 2900 fps with a 139 grain Hornady SST.

204rips

If you are not yet decided and don't mind reloading, have a look at a 7x57. I am impressed with my BSA Hunter in that cartridge. It has good ballistics, good accuracy, a good range of projectiles and is nice and mild shooting with RS62 even when pushing 2900 fps with a 139 grain Hornady SST.
Thanks, I’ll have a look into the round 🙂

HandB

Thanks, I’ll have a look into the round 🙂
You're welcome - it has a bit more case capacity so you can use a larger load of slower powder, which gives high velocity but with quite mild recoil. PPU cases in 7x57 are relatively cheap but give good results in my experience.

Treedave

Have both the calibre mentioned. The 260 is a great round, happily sending 140gr bullets out to 1000m+ on range days. It’s not unusual to get comments on the visible impact power when shooting steel out to 300m. It runs a good selection of lead free bullets (I’m on 95gr GSC from a 1:8 twist tube). It handles large red stags and hinds with ease (usual proviso about accurate placement) and fallow are no issue.
The 7-08 is a deer only rifle for me. It does the job nicely on roe, red and fallow with Barnes TTSX etc.Plenty of whack on arrival and not too much punch on departure I got mine as a custom from @Ronin to give me a few features I wanted and couldn’t find in one rifle. He also shoots a 260AI so is probably worth a chat with.

Mungo

Hi all, I’m looking at putting in a variation shortly for a deer rifle and have spend weeks researching and speaking to several people, some a lot more helpful than others I may add!

looking at the reloading manuals at both these rounds they stack up fairly close but I’m leading towards the .260, can I ask for your opinions and pro’s and con’s?

it will be used for Fallow and red mainly also some longer range fox work. I will be loading for it myself also.

Thanks in advance
It doesn’t matter. At all. Not even slightly. You could pick one entirely at random each time you go out and you’d never notice any difference. The differences on paper are utterly marginal. In real life, you’d need to shoot thousands and get the services of a very talented statistician to detect any difference.

Neither are particularly easy to find factory ammo for, though 7-08 probably a bit more common. But if you’re reloading, that doesn’t matter.