Deer callers.

basil

Distinguished Member
Does everyone use them?
This will be my first year trying one. Now, in your experienced opinions which one should a less experienced stalker try? The Buttallo? or what else is there on the market that you could recommend?
Thanks, basil.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Basil try a Butolo, but when you use it just peep it twice and keep it in your pocket when using it, but only call every few minutes, dont go hammering away on it too much. I have found it works a treat. Good luck

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
PeteE, have to agree with you there, you have to be careful which pocket you put it in when you are stalking, otherwise it suddenly goes off and you sound like an extra from the Sooty and Sweep show :lol: :lol:

monynut

basil

Whatever you use dont call untill you know the rut is on, you will not do yourself any favours it will just educate the deer.

Personally l dont call untill l have seen plenty of sign of the rut, my local patch is split in 2 by a big main road and last year one side was buzzing and on the other side not a sign untill a few days later.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

basil

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your replies guys. This year is more of a "experiment and learn" time. I`m not really bothered about shooting something when i go out. I like to observe the deer in its natural form and because it`s standing there, that isn`t always a reason to shoot it.
I am a firm believer in respect for my quarry.
basil.

Trapper

Got a buttalo and a cherry caller!! never sat on my cherry caller !! Buttaloo the odd squeak in the pocket !! or was that a curry from last nite!!. Just have to be more careful in future! still it amused the rabbits,
cheers Trapper.

stone

i love my buttalo :lol:
don't realy use it till last week of july and first week of august when the rut is starting to get into full swing,
hav tried it at other times of year with out much success
never hav a problem with squeezing it by mistake while crawling in for a shot ,as i don't crawl to many nettles for my liking :lol: :lol:

buck52

I use a Hubertus cherry wood call for the kid squeak and a Richard Prior call for the terror call which took some getting to grips with, I also use a buttolo now and again, the only problem with the buttolo is that your hands are too busy, the best way is to make a few calls then put it down and wait.

The mistake a lot of people make is to go around the woods sounding like the london philharmonic and then moving on every 5 minutes which is useless and just tells the deer that you are there, you should go to your chosen spot, settle down and then (only if you know the rut has definatly started on your 'bit') make a few calls, then wait for say 15 - 20 minutes without calling again.

Get the Roe calling CD form the master (Richard Prior) its about £10.00 and will tell you more about calling Roe than anyone on here can.

Nick Gordon

I'm curious to find out the type of ground everyone here stalks on.

As you may know from reading some of my other posts, me and my mate stalk a large conifer block.

During the rut here in Scotland the grass etc is so high on the rides and open spaces that even using high seats it is virtually impossibe to see the roe.

For all we know we could be calling them to the bottom of the ladder.

The result - no success so we don't bother during the rut :(

wadashot

Account Suspended
I use a cheery wood call and have had some success with it over the years. They are small, and hang around your neck out of the way. ;)

wadas

stone

Nick Gordon said:
I'm curious to find out the type of ground everyone here stalks on.
(
hi nick if you look at my post in the articles section about the another nights stalk
you will see the vids and pics of fallow in rape seed imagine the same ground but with roe, i hav over 8 hundred acres of rape this year
also i hav wheat and barley fields, aswell as untounced vegitation on the tracks and rides around these such fields
calling in a roe doe with a buck following or just a buck takes a lot of time and patience mixed with a bit of luck , normaly a head and a little neck is all that is visible , sometimes means you take your shot with the chance that is given if you are not happy don't shoot , but if you are not out there then you don't get the chance
tell us more about your ground and how often you stalk it as some one on here maybe able to offer a little knowledge that might help you to a little more succes in the rut
ATB
stone

basil

Distinguished Member
I have one 600 acre farm to shoot on at present. Much of it is flat moorland/grazing land for cattle and some is made up of wheatfields. There is also part of a woodland that extends on to the land There are only Roe deer in this immediate area.
basil.

stone

Gyr said:
Stone
"over 8 hundred acres of rape this year" and a lot of nettles!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you were lucky you only went around the wheat fields :lol: :lol:
last night we saw the buck that eluded us by the maize plantings where we saw that doe , (you know the one that jumped up nearly at our feet)
it was a 4 pointer good cull buck but only offered a head shot and liz did not feel confident to take the shot but it stood on 3 occasssions each time about 8o yards away but still no chest shot was available
never mind liz was estatic about seeing so many deer , even though we only saw 1 roebuck and followed it for about a hour, but saw plenty of does and a good fallow buck
bloody nettles , they were a little hot i can tell you :oops:

Beowulf

You will have to meet Wadas Mr Mole, he has that Dick Van Dyke thing going on. Always talking and singing to animated birds and animals, dancing around and whistling his 'Cheery wood call' and chatting away with a very bad cockney accent! :lol: Gooor bless ya Mary Poppins. ;)