Deer decoys?

Utectok

I’ve seen American videos of buck and doe white tail decoys being used I think during the rut?
Anyone ever tried it in the uk for uk species? Or is it another American bit of madness like scent sprays and attractors

Utectok

Absolutely nailed it, now we just need a “flapper” one on a spring that jumps up and down, the only change you would need then is a bigger bullet pouch
I’m a bit worried about the legs... the deer may be quite freaked about that

Erik Hamburger

I have seen videos of hunters using a 'Stalking Horse' to hide behind, while stalking in to deer. The 'Stalking-horse' being cut and painted in a more-or-less deer-like shape. For those who think I have lost my mind: It is a plywood sheet, cut in a horse/deer shape (ish), pained on one side, with a carrying handle/straps on the other side. You strap it on your arm like a shield and move in to the deer hiding behind it. Also several YouTube hunting series show 'decoys' in the shape of large antlers, worn on the head (!), to decoy Elk etc. Could this work with Fallow, in the rut? (be wary of a charge....! ;) )
So not a totally silly question and it would be interesting if somebody would show what they have used and if it was successful, or a total flop.
I don't think it would be illegal to use either methods in the UK. But others first, please....

terrier1

I’ve seen American videos of buck and doe white tail decoys being used I think during the rut?
Anyone ever tried it in the uk for uk species? Or is it another American bit of madness like scent sprays and attractors
I have often thought it may work when calling muntjac. I see a lot of bucks come to the edge of cover but will not come out. I have thought some board cut outs of a doe and a buck behind her would make a dominant buck show. Not tried this yet.

Utectok

Mr. Gain

I think the stalking-horse / dressing-up-as-a-deer tradition probably died out due to unsustainable levels of unintended fratricide.
This may explain why I have also seen cow-shaped blinds used for antelope stalking.