Deer DNA used for first time in UK to prosecute poacher

Monkey Spanker

I'm currently helping a PHD student to compile a DNA profile to be used to make forensic DNA test kits to be used by wildlife crimes departments. These will be used to match up evidence. For example, a gralloch could be traced to blood or hair in a vehicle or to a carcass. Hopefully this will help with some more prosecutions!
MS

artschool

now its in the news the gralloch will no doubt get carried out elsewhere.

they would have been better off keeping that part secret.

6pointer

Account Suspended
MS This is a crime but the fact remains its not that big a deal on the scale of things. What a complete waist of public money bringing this old fella to justice.

Glyn 1

MS This is a crime but the fact remains its not that big a deal on the scale of things. What a complete waist of public money bringing this old fella to justice.
Unbelievable. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be associated with this site.

Buckaroo8

It is not a waste of public money to bring genuine poachers to justice.
Well done to West Lochaber DMG
Well done to the police
Shame on whoever gave him a paltry £100 fine and £70 compensation charge. The carcass alone must be worth twice that, let alone all the bother he's caused everyone!
Should be more like £1000 fine £700 compensation.

Taff

I suppose you'd say the same if the thieving scum stole the stereo out of your car?
He did not steal from a car, he took a deer off the hill, the deer was not payed for by the landowner it just happened to be on his land at the time, and could have been somewhere else by the next day. Who says he was thieving scum, he may have worked all his life payed more taxes than you will ever do, fought for your freedom to call him scum, and been getting the odd deer to supplement his pension for many a year.

Glyn 1

He did not steal from a car, he took a deer off the hill, the deer was not payed for by the landowner it just happened to be on his land at the time, and could have been somewhere else by the next day. Who says he was thieving scum, he may have worked all his life payed more taxes than you will ever do, fought for your freedom to call him scum, and been getting the odd deer to supplement his pension for many a year.
Yes, he may have done all of those things in the past but now he's gone and thrown it all back in societys face and is now a convicted criminal or, to use laymans terms, thieving scum.

Sorry but if you had had your career effectively ruined by the actions of wildlife criminals, as I have, then you might feel differently.

Monkey Spanker

He is a convicted poacher and therefore a thief! It matters not the scale it is on, or his age. He took something that was not rightfully his, and more worryingly with a firearm! I do hope that was removed too? The cost of his conviction will be well worth it if this case acts as a deterrant to others!
I can't believe there are people on this site that clearly condone his behaviour!!:eek:
MS

Dan Gliballs

he may have worked all his life payed more taxes than you will ever do, fought for your freedom to call him scum, and been getting the odd deer to supplement his pension for many a year.
NOTHING could be further from the truth!

Last edited:

Mossypaw

This was Kennedy,s sixth conviction for poaching. His house is known as "venison villa" and his car reg is 5TAG. Not exactly an old boy after one for the pot !

Taff

Alas someone who can enlighten us on this chaps past record,fire away Dan , as far as I can see everyone else is making there judgements without any back ground information at all, which is usual for people on this site.
palmer Mike if you are genuinely hard up give me a call and I will give you some venison, as I am sure you would not want to be labelled as scum.

Taff

Obviously this man is not what I thought, six convictions for poaching, and he still has a firearms, obviously a free mason.