DEER IN GENERAL or THEIR ANTLERS .

Hi Robbo
It's a cracker, to have a really interesting cull fallow is a rare thing I find, I have shot lots of the species (when lived down south) yet have none on my wall.
The only time I have seen anything like this he was very, very old. I assume there was no damaged to his testicles? It does look more hormonal/genetic than damage/frost damage-related.
ATB
Nick

Doe 'hanging around' ready for collection later. Hang them up like this in trees and continue stalking. Come around with the vehicle later to collect them all(hopefully).

http://
P1190152.jpg

Hi Robbo
It's a cracker, to have a really interesting cull fallow is a rare thing I find, I have shot lots of the species (when lived down south) yet have none on my wall.
The only time I have seen anything like this he was very, very old. I assume there was no damaged to his testicles? It does look more hormonal/genetic than damage/frost damage-related.
ATB
Nick

Found out that the cause is a rare genetic disorder more commonly found in red deer, heads are known as a 'cromey head'. Chap i spoke to said he has only seen one other fallow like it and he has seen 1000's of deer!

atb
robbo

Doe 'hanging around' ready for collection later. Hang them up like this in trees and continue stalking. Come around with the vehicle later to collect them all(hopefully).

P1190152.jpg

Some years ago i did this, unfotunately the hounds came past,,,,, im sure you can guess the rest;) hang um high....

Here are some whitetail bucks from Montana. The one on the left is mine and on the right is my wife's.

e5023789.jpg

A closeup...

5277216f.jpg

Attachments

• e5023789.jpg
    e5023789.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wapiti bull, we had to quarter it out and backpacked it to a sled then pulled it out about 3 miles. I think that was at least 12 years ago...Time flies.

ryelk20022.jpg

Here he is as mounted.

60bb0128.jpg

Last edited:
Well it is about time my lovely wife made an appearance. This is a whitetail buck she took a few years ago that was aged by Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks at 5 1/2 years, right in the prime. We didn't get a photo until the next morning and by then the carcass had frozen solid. One thing I notice about my pics as I look through them, the quality gets better as the years go on ;)

crywt2002.jpg

Here is the same buck as mounted.

curvyhorn.jpg

I have really enjoyed the pics on this thread, I hope you guys enjoy these. I have a lot more :)

Another wapiti bull. This one was taken on about the steepest mountain you can imagine. I was alone when I killed it and had to quarter it and hang it in a tree, returning the next morning with a couple horses to pack out the meat.

elk2004.jpg

I have just posted a thread about this buck in the 'general' section, however I thought I would post the picture here as well. The buck was shot in February 1999 on humane grounds, and I have never seen another like it either before or since. I found the picture at the weekend after sorting out some old books and paperwork.

WierdBuckFeb1999.jpg

Back