Deer knife

TomT3

Chaps

Been done to death I appreciate!

As you may or may not be aware I’ve been shooting or 15 plus years but only seer shooting for a year or so so please bare with me!

I currently have a Brussleto Falken knife which is 3.5 inch long do you think this is of adequate length for Gralloching?
If not please suggest alternatives.
I have a separate butchery set.

Thanks

gossy

Aslong as its sharp and of a good shape the length of the blade is irrelevant. I personally prefer a smaller knife, easier to carry on your belt and more manoeuvrable inside the carcass.

Rory

+1 for EKA swingblade and Mora. I carry one of each. Get a Mora Roeing knife as well, skinning (even Muntjac) is really easy with this little knife.

Scapegoat

Length really doesn't matter, in fact a shorter blade is easier to carry, use and maintain. My favourite gralloching knife is an Enzo Necker 70. Scandi grind so even a duffer like me can keep it sharp, and available in all sorts of colour, handle and sheath variants.
Moonraker Knives ... Enzo

Freeforester

Chaps

As you may or may not be aware I’ve been shooting or 15 plus years but only seer shooting for a year or so so please bare with me!

I currently have a Brussleto Falken knife which is 3.5 inch long do you think this is of adequate length for Gralloching?

Thanks
I recall being in a course in the '80's watching Richard Prior demonstrate the gralloch on a roe doe with a Puma lock knife of blade length not more than 2", with aplomb; I used one of similar size thereafter for many years.

Cottis

ESEE CR 2.5

Carbon steel, solid as anything, rinses through sternums, keeps an edge and when it does go, easy to sharpen. Decent sheath, micarta handles, small and handy and less than £90 I think.

I would be amazed if anyone broke it. A brute of a knife for its tiny size. Maybe not ideal for the bigger beasts but perfect for Munty and Roe.

devonair

I mostly use hi viz or coloured Moras for roe/fallow. Dont like losing stuff and these are spotted quickly if dropped or put down whilst gralloching. However I recently ordered a cold steel Finn bear which is black. A lanyard/tag of colourful paracord will solve that one. I have nicer knives but the mora design is near perfect for me and they are easily sharpened. I've gralloched roe with a 2" blade (or less) 4"is my preferred blade length.
Pays your money + takes your pick etc.

Bigboab29

Absolutely fine for gralloching, as long as its sharp. Ive got a massive collection of knives, alan wood, guy stanthorp, stuart Mitchell etc and I use a cheap as chips mora and a buck folder for everything.

Island

Chaps

Thanks
An absolute belter of a knife mate, I have had a Falken for somewhere between 15 and 20 years. Although I do have, and use, a collection of Mora and Helle knives there is just something about the Falken that makes it a pleasure to use (and the edge that it will take is quite simply scary!). It is more than enough knife for use on deer. If I could find someone to make a Kydex sheath for it then it would likely rediscover its place as my "go to" knife for Roe. It is arguable that it is perhaps not the ideal shape for doing the back end, but with a bit of practice it becomes pretty easy.

geoshot

£10-12 Mora. They keep a good edge, easily cleanable. Come in a range of colours (including bright orange for if you’re prone to losing them like me) and cheap as chips so if it gets lost then it’s not the end of the world.
T
What he said!
I have a load of knives but it's my Mora roeing blade & an orange Morakniv which goes with me when I'm stalking

lochty

Bushwear bush knife in bright orange (so it's easily found in the heather) at under a tenner. 4" blade. If i lose it, it's slightly more than the price of a pint to replace. Pair it with a diamond steel, keep it sharp and that's all I need. Simple is best.....