Deer Stalking in thick fog

kobidog

What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worth giving it a go I suppose?

The tramp

Easy to stalk up to them, not so easy to see if a shot is safe...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

willowbank

What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worth giving it a go I suppose?
Personally I would not be going out stalking in thick fog, there are not only major safety issues but also the chance of not being able to take a second shot or follow up if necessary. Just not worth taking risks, a non starter.

atb WB

The Singing Stalker

Well unless you you thermal will you be able to find them? I was out tonight watching a muntie in the woods adjacent to where I shoot. Little xxxxxx didn't come over to my side. But a light mist came down and it certainly brought visibility down. To get a secure safe shot I think I would have had to get in to about 60/80 yards. So if thick fog I would stay in bed. Mind you. I'm not a morning lover.

DamaDama.243

Do not stalk in thick fog. As others have said there is a real issue with safety as you can not always see your back stop. Not worth the risk.

brunel-999

What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worthwa giving it a go I suppose?
I was in a high seat once, and woman walking with her dog come towards me right in my kill zone. She was walking around the field margin hundreds of yards away from the public right of way.

Even if you can see the deer, can you be 100% sure that you have a safe back stop?

Tim.243

Morning and welcome to the site.....your intro must have slipped in with the fog lol

Tim.243

Highlandsjohn

I was in a high seat once, and woman walking with her dog come towards me right in my kill zone. She was walking around the field margin hundreds of yards away from the public right of way.

Even if you can see the deer, can you be 100% sure that you have a safe back stop?
View attachment 77221Exactly, I was out one morning last week when this came in. I know my ground very well, but no way would I shoot in this..

tarponhead

My very first stalk was with County Deerstalking and we were about to take a shot on a fallow in thickening evening mist when the whole herd started to move, so I paused, only to see a man with his dog emerge from the mist on the treeline opposite us. I had been waiting for a doe to stand on its own. He never even knew we were there, poised on the sticks, pointing a .243 in his general direction. That was the first day I had ever shot a rifle and it could have ended right there....

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Your first post should be an introduction not some silliness about stalking in thick fog, its on a par with skydiving with no parachute! You had better provide an introduction and modify your future posts or I shall suspect your motives, you have been warned.

John

philip

rule of thumb

if you can't see your back stop or the surrounding area to ensure it's a safe shot don't take the shot , forget about whether the deer are out, its irrelevant if it's not safe, sit it out until it is, the deer will still be thereabouts the next day

Ferryman

Personally if you have to ask that question, I question your suitability to go out unaccompanied.

bewsher500

tad harsh
Sometimes fog rolls in as it did with me last thursday, Are we all meant to just pack up when this happens?

Hill stalking often presents a fog margin from above
It pushes deer down into lower ground
With a bit of a breeze and staying on the edge of the fog bank it can come anc go and present an interesting challenge
With careful judgement you can use it to approach deer, I nearly got scuppered with it lifting at the wrong moment leaving me in full view once

but once in position there was no doubt of the backstop or safety of shots

Assuming common sense around backstops and seeing enough of quarry to identify it and have the prospect of a follow up its no worse than heavy rain or limited light at dusk and dawn

jubnut

I have had a fair bit of success stalking in fog,

Just blanket saying it's unsafe or silliness or you need thermal is ********.

You can sometimes get in quite close in the fog, if you can see that it's a safe shot then take it. If you can't then don't.

jubnut

tad harsh
Sometimes fog rolls in as it did with me last thursday, Are we all meant to just pack up when this happens?

Hill stalking often presents a fog margin from above
It pushes deer down into lower ground
With a bit of a breeze and staying on the edge of the fog bank it can come anc go and present an interesting challenge
With careful judgement you can use it to approach deer, I nearly got scuppered with it lifting at the wrong moment leaving me in full view once

but once in position there was no doubt of the backstop or safety of shots

Assuming common sense around backstops and seeing enough of quarry to identify it and have the prospect of a follow up its no worse than heavy rain or limited light at dusk and dawn
This bloke is talking some sense.

kobidog

Looks like I pushed a few buttons with that post! Was only ever going to shoot from a high seat as it is all the ground allows for safety wise, and would never be stupid enough to EVER fire a shot without a sure back stop.

I was more interested as to what deer movements are like on a foggy, misty morning. The location of this high seat is on high ground and remains quite clear on foggy mornings, so was interested whether the fog would hamper deer movements to the area, as I hadn't yet tried it in such conditions.

By the post I did not mean that I would be blundering through areas of poor visibility that would hamper the ability to judge the safety of the shot, i've never fired a shot that I wasn't 100% sure was safe and never will!

So i'm sorry if I put my question across wrong, re-read through what I had written and didn't think I suggested that, also not quite sure how people can judge what I am seeing through my scope from your computer screen?! Thanks for those who were helpful though, for example it probably isn't a great idea regarding the possibility of following up a wounded beast.

Thanks again

armo.

'There's no such thing as a stupid question' is very useful advice which many of us will have heard before and it's good that people can come to forums like this and get measured and helpful advice.

My experience is that mammals will not go out in fog as water droplets adhere to their fur and this, combined with the cold means that they will lie low. That said, a few hours out and about with a rifle whether in a high seat or walking are never lost and as your horizon is reduced, your eyes will focus closer, picking up sign that you would ordinarily have missed and which can be used to build your awareness for another day.

And then the fog sometimes lifts quickly and who knows what might be suddenly revealed??

Last edited:

Red stag

Kobidog don't take the comments to heart as it does not matter what you say on forums you will get people misunderstand what you are trying to say or ask so will get slated !
There are some very experience staplers on here that will give you sound advice.
Welcome to the site