Deer winch for reds in woodland with no vehicular access

tonyshooter

Hi,

I need a winch to extract gralloched reds from a forest over grass / tussocks / tree stumps to the field edge where my vehicle will be.

This can be up to 100m away.

I would like advice on what SD members already use and if it is remotely feasible to use a 12 volt electric winch powered from a 12v battery similar to a what a fox shooter would use.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Tony

Primate

Hi,

I need a winch to extract gralloched reds from a forest over grass / tussocks / tree stumps to the field edge where my vehicle will be.

This can be up to 100m away.

I would like advice on what SD members already use and if it is remotely feasible to use a 12 volt electric winch powered from a 12v battery similar to a what a fox shooter would use.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Tony
Is it a very steep up hill drag Tony? If its flat/level or even better down hill. At 100m I'd just drag them Pal. If you're able to get your vehicle 100m away that's pretty good. I use a Trace big game sled for this and it's good for dragging over tussocks etc. I've pulled mine over rocky ground and they can take a beating and slide well over rocks/stumps etc. I've also just bought a Jagerschmidt hook and harness drag fom Monarch Country sports. I used it to drag a red calf earlier this evening and it was good. I've looked down the buying a winch route before myself and came to the conclusion that a petrol capstan winch would be the only feasible option. However they are around a grand for a decent second hand one! Hence why I never bothered.

rem284

Rope and pulley if the vehicle only a 100m or a hand winch that works on 13mm rope, i have one, cant remember its name at the moment. It was about £100 with 20m rope, i think it wuld work with any 13mm stuff.

B.T.243.

I don’t think a battery would work, I have a winch on the front of my defender and one in the back, if I don’t start it you can here the winch dying. As others have said either a capstan or a hand winch. I use a plasters bath with a weight lifters harness, clip it on and drag. I don’t think there is an easy way unfortunately.

Buckaroo8

feasible to use a 12 volt electric winch powered from a 12v battery similar to a what a fox shooter would use.
You must have some massive foxes in your area if you need a winch to shift them. :lol:
seriously, a long rope and pulley tied to the truck is a good combo if you’ve got a mate to help guide the carcass through the stumps and tussocks. Helps if you have phone/radio to communicate as this takes place.

awmc

Petrol Honda capstan Winch and a couple of pulleys should do the trick
Agreed
I use a 50 cc one but think the smaller 35 cc version will do
The rope needs to be “non stretch (braided nylon) which I treat with the same care as a climbing rope. Comes in 100 metre length.
A snatch block pulley also helps

Worth bearing in mind the winch and rope may add up to 40 kg which means I don’t need gym membership

devon deer stalker

100m away from your truck?
Thats a dream for some of us.
Tie a rope to the back of the truck and drag it out, if thats possible of course?
Or, don't shoot them there, I have let lots of reds walk because of an extraction, its just not worth injuring your back.
I looked into a Honda Capstan winch 3000w which will work, cost around £1100 but as I get older its something I probably am going to buy.
Cheers
Richard

devonair

20190112_095419.jpg20190114_075819.jpg
150 m rope, couple of slings, couple of pulleys will do it. If you go this route it's important to look after the rope as knots will make it a complete nightmare. Keep pull as direct as you can, each pulley means another hike up and down the slope if youre on your tod. Pulleys and slings can be attached well off the ground to reduce drag.
You then have the problem of getting it into your truck. I loaded this one by dragging with truck onto a bank, backing the truck up to it and slid it in using an 18mm piece of plywood. Im no expert, this was my only red to date and the next one may go free depending on the access.

Last edited:

jer

With a drag of up to 100 mt away over that type of ground it seems you are in heaven :rofl: A patch I stalk a drag of over 1Km is usual. Then you find out what your lungs are for and it does make you very selective with how many you shoot.

devon deer stalker

It may be heresy in the UK but many animals in other parts of the world are packed out in pieces. Gralloch left and the haunches taken off and packed out in strong bags might make the remainder more manageable?

David.
Yep, that's what we did in Montana, gutless method and then butcher on-site, pack in ruck sacks and pack it out, but as we know in the UK we can't deliver to a game dealer then.
Cheers
Richard

awmc

Makes me smile some of this advice and the Monty Python bit - “we’m dream of only dragging 100 metres ..”
The ground is so wet here it means even a quad poaches up the adjacent fields and getting a 4x4 vehicle up to the wood edge is likely to leave you stuck let alone ****ing off the landowner

Brought out three Reds on Sunday while probably most of the expert contributors were in bed dreaming of K95s and magic trousers that keep you dry