Deerstalking Fair, 23rd & 24th March, 2019, Border Union Showground, Kelso, Scottish Borders

jamross65

Deerstalking Fair 23rd & 24th March, 2019, Border Union Showground, Kelso, Scottish Borders

We were delighted to be approached by Scottish Natural Heritage who wish to attend the fair this year and utilise this platform to promote their 'Wild Deer Best Practice Initiative'. This will be delivered through a series of talks and demonstrations to cover such topics as dogs for deer, habitat impact assessments and gun maintenance. They are also bringing their shooting simulator along for visitors to have a shot or two on. SNH Wildlife Management staff along with other Best Practice partners will be present on the stand over the weekend which will carry displays on the work they are involved in with regards wildlife management and licensing. They will be available to discuss any issues and answer questions visitors may want to raise. Full details on the schedule and the time the presentations will be delivered will be published before the event and within the venue.

Mike Norris from Brock & Norris Custom Rifles has made an incredibly generous offer to the fair, of a full custom built rifle, scope and moderator to be the main prize in a charity raffle, the proceeds of which will go to the 'My Name5 Doddie Foundation’, set up to raise funds for research into Motor Neurone Disease, a condition he is suffering from. Doddie is a friend of mine and as a keen shooting man has been a regular attendee at the fair. Hopefully if he will be available to pop down on the Sunday to draw the winner. Full details of the prize and how to enter will be published soon.

Viking Arms and Meopta are continuing their support and sponsorship of the fair and will be there with Merkel Helix rifles, Meopta Optics and other popular brands they stock. We have several new attendees this year signed up including Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH), Leica, rifle and stalking equipment distributors Raytrade Entwistle carrying among other brands Remington Rifles, Barnes Bullets and GPO (German Precision Optics), B&D Stalking Equipment and Best Deer/Fox Call to name a few. If the name isn’t familiar, B&D manufacture and carry a large stock of lardering equipment, high seats, suspended gralloching frames, skinning cradles, carcass trays and modular chillers and much more besides. A more comprehensive list of exhibitors and brands will follow soon.

As well as the exhibitors and traders and the presentations already mentioned, we will be holding several more educational talks and demonstrations covering shot site inspection and training dogs for deer presented by the UKDTR who will also have dog tracking equipment for sale, skinning and butchery demos using some of the equipment available to buy at the fair, venison and game cookery demos and a talk on ballistics, bullet choice and rifle accuracy to name a few. One of the most popular seminars from last years fair was on the subject of disease in deer, presented by Prof Jim Simpson. His knowledge on this subject is extensive and as one visitor said to me after attending Jim’s lecture last year, ‘it was worth coming just to learn from that man alone today, aside from everything else going on….’.

Entry is £10 for adults, under 16’s free, parking is also free.

So, hopefully in the meantime this will allow you all to get a taster of what’s on at this years Deerstalking Fair but please keep an eye open for more extensive details which will follow in due course.

cookingfat

UKDTR is really looking forward to working with Scottish Natural Heritage for the first as part of there 'Wild Deer Best Practice Initiative' we will be giving some practical demonstrations on shot sites analysis as well as a talk and power point on live dog work and how UKDTR operates.

Regards

Tony

LuckyEddie

Am aiming to be fit enough to attend this year.
When I went about 3 years ago it was quite good but now sounds as though it really is taking off.
Any thoughts about getting either the Landward or Out of Doors teams from BBC Scotland to do a piece as it would certainly boost deer stalking credibility especially since the SNH team have a stand.

Atb
Ed

jamross65

When I went about 3 years ago it was quite good but now sounds as though it really is taking off.
Any thoughts about getting either the Landward or Out of Doors teams from BBC Scotland to do a piece as it would certainly boost deer stalking credibility especially since the SNH team have a stand.

Atb
Ed
We did actually approach one of the TV shows a few years ago Ed but maybe thought it too small at the time. Yes, be a good idea to see if they want to get involved. Especially with the Best Practice and educational benefits to be supported.

slider

We did actually approach one of the TV shows a few years ago Ed but maybe thought it too small at the time. Yes, be a good idea to see if they want to get involved. Especially with the Best Practice and educational benefits to be supported.
Dougie viponds into local and ethical eating, Lanward might be a good shout

Freeforester

Atb
Ed
You'll be supping with the de'il there, Eddie, Biased Broadcasting Chumps that lot, safer with Packham .... well, maybe not, but you get the idea!

Hulse

A great fair

I remember the year it was not at Kelso I booked nearby Kelso with family them put postcode in the satnav and had moved! Wife was not happy

PKL

Hey! if the SNH is there maybe we can ask them about how they go about issuing out of seasons and night licenses to everywanker that moves in scotland who just wants to shoot and sell deer to the dealer???...or, for example, why they have an obsession with obliterating the Scottish Red Deer population, ...or,, why they don't question OOS or Night License authorisations who abuse their position to cull wherever they want and just report them as shot from areas where the cullers 'do' have authorisations...why they were historically shooting reds from a helicopter over the cobbler with H&K automatics without actual S5 licensing rights,,,or why they love to monitor deer populations in the dead of winter when deer are grouped up in valley's/gully's so it seems there's thousands of them,,to then make statistical assumptions that is a common trait regionally (which it's not, they just 'do' group up in massive herds leaving large regions void in this time of year!...obviously)....I mean, yeah, let's invite the most unethical politically-in-bed organisation/party into a democratic deer stalking community and present them as being good guys, why not!..

In saying that they are bad,,,,,they just like their bare feet, sandals, birds and bee's,,and really don't appreciate anything that doesn't splash, hum or buzz....

not trying to 'lash out'...just saying,,for Scottish game,,they're about as bad in power as the green party in australia..right JohnnyG?

potshotpat

Hey! if the SNH is there maybe we can ask them about how they go about issuing out of seasons and night licenses to everywanker that moves in scotland who just wants to shoot and sell deer to the dealer???...or, for example, why they have an obsession with obliterating the Scottish Red Deer population, ...or,, why they don't question OOS or Night License authorisations who abuse their position to cull wherever they want and just report them as shot from areas where the cullers 'do' have authorisations...why they were historically shooting reds from a helicopter over the cobbler with H&K automatics without actual S5 licensing rights,,,or why they love to monitor deer populations in the dead of winter when deer are grouped up in valley's/gully's so it seems there's thousands of them,,to then make statistical assumptions that is a common trait regionally (which it's not, they just 'do' group up in massive herds leaving large regions void in this time of year!...obviously)....I mean, yeah, let's invite the most unethical politically-in-bed organisation/party into a democratic deer stalking community and present them as being good guys, why not!..

In saying that they are bad,,,,,they just like their bare feet, sandals, birds and bee's,,and really don't appreciate anything that doesn't splash, hum or buzz....

not trying to 'lash out'...just saying,,for Scottish game,,they're about as bad in power as the green party in australia..right JohnnyG?
Hey PKL don't sit on the fence eh. :thumb:

slider

They will be there, so why not just ask them?

PKL

They will be there, so why not just ask them?
now I NEVER anticipated anyone being so clever as to ask that question, fck, I'm caught out! LOL...you have to be kidding me right..I could be with the family, gardening, doing sht worth my while..jeez slider..come on ;)...would you ask monkey's why they like peanuts?...

jamross65

now I NEVER anticipated anyone being so clever as to ask that question, fck, I'm caught out! LOL...you have to be kidding me right..I could be with the family, gardening, doing sht worth my while..jeez slider..come on ;)...would you ask monkey's why they like peanuts?...
Everyone has an opinion and whilst I don't necessarily agree with everything SNH perhaps administer, I also don't agree in a rant without the opportunity being given to the party it's directed at to reply.

SNH are a relatively small part of everything that is going on over the weekend. They are promoting their Best Practice Initiative which a lot of deerstalkers adhere to. There has been significant updates to some of the information contained in that Initiative and this will be presented through several seminars and demonstrations. This is something therefore that will be of benefit to novices and perhaps experienced stalkers alike. PKL, you've just ranted and when challenged about using the forum they will present at the fair to ask the 'question' have excused not doing so. Put your questions to them in a well constructed point and I am sure there will be healthy debate arising from doing that. You don't seem to know what reasons they look for so here is an opportunity to learn.

If there is something visitors wish addressed the opportunity is there to ask the questions whilst enjoying the other demos, seminars, browsing the items for sale and on display.....

opticron1

A very generous offer in the raffle from Mike Norris and lots of interesting things to do and see, added to that Kelso has a fine selection of places to have a drink or two and a decent fishing shop! However..... sadly I will be giving it a miss again as I'll be on Arran on a early season break, so unless they suddenly up sticks and move to Brodick or change the weekend , no can do!:mad:. For everyone else who makes it to Kelso, enjoy!:)

slider

Well, if I didn't know why they like peanuts yes I would ask them. Just as you don't know why SNH have particular policies but appear happy to rant on social media rather than ask them.

PKL

Well, if I didn't know why they like peanuts yes I would ask them. Just as you don't know why SNH have particular policies but appear happy to rant on social media rather than ask them.
Sometimes a tree shake is needed to make anything start to move