Devcon & J.B.Weld.

ss03947

With the lock down I've decided to customize a couple of my rifles,
(Jewelling Bolts & Rifle Bedding).

So got the Devcon out I'd bought the last time I done it only to find it was out of date.
Lying beside it was some J.B.Weld, I've looked at the ingredients & they are basically the same.

Devcon
bisphenol A-epichlorohydrin resin.

Hardener-Aliphatic Polyamine

-----------------------------------------

J.B,Weld
Resin-epichlorhydrin with bisphenol A,& bisphenol F.
polymer from formaldehyde & dimethylbenzene.

Hardener-polyamide,aliphatic polyamines,diropylene glycol, benzyl alcohol.

----------------------------------------------

So it begs the question can you use J.B. Weld instead of Devcon.?
Advantages, it would be a lot cheaper, you wouldn't have to buy as much,
so wouldn't have as much waste if you didn't use it all.

Anyone a bit more chemical savvy than me decipher the above, (J.B. Weld has a couple more additives)
better still has any member used J.B. Weld, if so what was the result.?

SS.

I have bedded a couple of mine with Everbuild two part epoxy metal
So you tell me if it’s an absolute necessity to use Devcon etc.
Yes it is probably better, as you have a proven product with known properties.
But I am a tight arse and the rifles were not exactly “Best London” 🤣

I mixed a batch up a day & a half ago, still rubbery to the feel, hasn't set at all.

That's what making me think its met its sell by date.

In the outhouse atm, not exactly warm, maybe bring it in the house & give it a bit more time.

I've bedded a few rifles using JB weld and they've all turned out great. It works very well.

What did you use for the release agent.?

Was it Kiwi natural colour shoe polish.?

Watched an American using Hornady One Shot case lube, swears by it, certainly worked.

Last edited:
What did you use for the release agent.?

Was it Kiwi natural colour shoe polish.?
That’s what I used. Coat and wait for it to dry, buff it off and repeat.
Making sure that any holes etc that would lock the action in are filled with plasticine.

Go with JB , Devcon is great but a bit over priced,

Agree, & quite a bit left, enough for half a dozen rifles, & if you don't use it maybe it'll go to waste.

I'll find out this week if what I've left is any good or not, failing that J.B.Weld it'll probably be.

Kiwi neutral shoe polish as release agent. As always with these sort of jobs proper preparation is the key to a satisfactory outcome.

I’m going through this exact dilemma. Apparently older style devcons had a much longer shelf life (not sure if it was published or not). I need to do a test batch of mine too, but it’s old - I’m expecting it to be rooted.

A bit of googling shows JB Weld is quite popular for bedding and can be very effective - its mechanical properties once set are excellent. But it’s much more runny, so have to prepared for that. Although people seem to have luck letting it partly go off before starting the job. However this would make me nervous about the window of opportunity

I bedded a rifle recently with significantly out of date devcon (few years) was a bit firmer to work than I recal but the finished job was fine.

Very good results with this
Yes - try Acraglass gel - it is less runny than Acraglass and much easier to control. I find it better than Devcon which took off some of the blueing on the action of my Schultz and Larsen Victory. Boot polish (I use black) makes a good release agent

Back