Devcon query

fizzbangwhallop

I bought a pot of Devcon to bed some of the Gunsmith adapters following the recent Spartan bipod discount offer :thumb:

The first go went well and the Devcon set rock hard.... but doing another yesterday, the Devcon is still tacky this morning and the edge of a fingernail leaves an impression.

I’m assuming I didn’t get the mix ratio quite right..... but before I try and dig it all out I’m wondering if will it ever fully harden?

Cheers

Fizz

kamyonsofor

Hi Fizzbang , Devcon is a epoxy as you may be aware if it is still soft ,it will need if possible to be in a oven to cure (if that is possible in your case)it sounds like you did not do 50/50 mix ,you can also use a heatgun or hair dryer and it will for a few seconds soften and you can remove the item or it will go hard (cure) the other reason for problems is you should mix with a wood stick or plastic,we used Devcon in the Aerospace industry for quick time bonding.Here is another fact expoxy resins/glues will bond to polyester resins (fiberglass components)but polyester will not bond /adhere to epoxy, I will pm you .

fizzbangwhallop

Thanks for the quick response and the pm kam..... you’re dead right on the mix ratio, I’ve just re-read the mixing ratios inside the box lid and used the weight ratio of 9:1 instead of the volume ratio of 2.5:1. Wore me glasses this time! (Yes, I actually do go to Specsavers :rofl:) They couldn’t get the printing much smaller could they.

I did leave it in the sun to speed it up yesterday but I’m assuming it’ll never set now. Gonna be a mare to get out....not a lot of room in there and the adapter was a snug fit!

Cheers

Fizz

ejg

Epoxy must be mixed very well, not only a quick shove back and forth. At least you know what you did wrong, just start again. We fit quite a few Spartan adapters, they have a large surface area and not likely to come out even with un-reinforced epoxy.
edi