Dicksons of Edinburgh

David T

End of an era. Dicksons is closing its doors at the end of next month. Been around for nearly 200 years and I think I am right in saying it is the last gun room in Edinburgh. A real shame. Wish Gary and the team there all the best for the future.

enfieldspares

I am not at all surprised. I went last year shadow of when I last went thirty years ago. In fact distinctly underwhelmed. Much better was the excellent Borders Gunroom. Dickson's was a waste of the train fare on the re-opened line into Edinburgh and a waste of the walk up the hill from the Station.

CCB

Last time i went into Dicksons, about 10 years ago, it was clear i wasn't welcome! i must be the wrong clientele? so not surprised its closing down.

Ranger22

I am not at all surprised. I went last year shadow of when I last went thirty years ago. In fact distinctly underwhelmed. Much better was the excellent Borders Gunroom. Dickson's was a waste of the train fare on the re-opened line into Edinburgh and a waste of the walk up the hill from the Station.
You must go to some crap places if you think that the borders gun room is excellent. Had my worst dealings ever there. Won't say I'll never be back there but it will be a cold day in hell before I do

Blackpowder

Thats a shame. My best loved item ever is my 1889 Round Action or more correctly trigger plate action John Dickson gun. RIP part of scottish history and unique gun making history.

Blackpowder

Heym SR20

Dicksons are only closing their Edinburgh store, Dunkeld and the company will remain open for business. Edinburgh City Council are charging ridiculous business rates in the city centre - several thousand pounds a month for even the small space Dicksons occupy - you need to be turning a lot of stock to cover this. Another friends retail business recently called in the administrators for pretty much the same reason as the have the same pressure in other cities as well as Edinburgh. City and Town councils are killing city centre retail - that's why we no longer have useful shops - only have big brands - in our towns.

opticron1

It's a shame that the shop is closing as it always used to be one of the first places I would head for when in town, it used to be quite a place when it still catered for the fishing side as well as the gun side of things, but as Heym SR20 has pointed out - external pressures and changes in shopping habits have pushed many more businesses away from the main shopping areas. We can all think of shops that have gone the same way over time, McCrirricks of Kilmarnock and Bagnall and Kirkwood in Newcastle to name, but two........ Still there is still the Orvis shop I can steer the boss to when she is on a hand bag and shoes hunt!

A Guy Out West

Dicksons are only closing their Edinburgh store, Dunkeld and the company will remain open for business. Edinburgh City Council are charging ridiculous business rates in the city centre - several thousand pounds a month for even the small space Dicksons occupy - you need to be turning a lot of stock to cover this. Another friends retail business recently called in the administrators for pretty much the same reason as the have the same pressure in other cities as well as Edinburgh. City and Town councils are killing city centre retail - that's why we no longer have useful shops - only have big brands - in our towns.
Jeez, it sounds like American Democrats have taken over the Edinburgh city council.

Mungo

I think the main issue was rent not rates - talking to the guys in Dickson's, the couple thousand per month was the lease.

McKenzie

Whatever the reason for their closure they will be sorely missed. I've bought several guns & rifles from them over the years & have always had exemplary service from Gary & Ross. There aren't many places it's possible to go to see fine guns in Scotland.

Mungo

Whatever the reason for their closure they will be sorely missed. I've bought several guns & rifles from them over the years & have always had exemplary service from Gary & Ross. There aren't many places it's possible to go to see fine guns in Scotland.
I'll agree with that. Gary and Ross could give lessons on customer service to virtually every other field sports store in Scotland. Always extremely friendly and helpful.

enfieldspares

To divert the thread I've shot boxlocks and in both bar action and back action sidelocks.

From AyA and Arietta through Powell to Holland and Boss. Yet I've never had any desire to handle, let alone shoot or even own any of the Scottish great name "round action" guns.

In fact I've not even lifted them out of gun racks in auction houses or gun shops. So is this "just me" or are/were these trigger plate aka "round action" guns an acquired taste or do others here have a similar lack of passion towards them?

For if given the choice I'd still covet a Grant, Lancaster or Powell 12/20 over any Dickson or MacNaughton round action.

Heym SR20

To divert the thread I've shot boxlocks and in both bar action and back action sidelocks.

From AyA and Arietta through Powell to Holland and Boss. Yet I've never had any desire to handle, let alone shoot or even own any of the Scottish great name "round action" guns.

In fact I've not even lifted them out of gun racks in auction houses or gun shops. So is this "just me" or are/were these trigger plate aka "round action" guns an acquired taste or do others here have a similar lack of passion towards them?

For if given the choice I'd still covet a Grant, Lancaster or Powell 12/20 over any Dickson or MacNaughton round action.
like you I've handled many fine guns. The round actions are particularly svelte and petite. Very printable and lively, ideal for grouse, I would think, although never lucky enough to try. If you go on a shoot up here with old Scottish families there will be several old Scottish guns including a smattering of round actions, that have been handed down the generations. Some pristine, some held together with fencing wire, and most in a well used but well lived condition. Some have wonderful stories that go with them, and will have seen action in all corners of the world.

Many have a quite bold Celtic style of engraving - I like it, but won't be to everybody's tastes. Next time you see one at an auction have a close look.

Heym SR20

I'll agree with that. Gary and Ross could give lessons on customer service to virtually every other field sports store in Scotland. Always extremely friendly and helpful.
plus 1 on that.

Also sad fact is that money is no more in Edinburgh. Dicksons are high end guns, and customers are and always have been landed gentry and wealthy merchants, shipbuilders, business owners and bankers. George street and Charlotte square was the second financial hub of the U.K., but the crash of 2008 saw to that. Most of the decision makers working in the financial world now, whilst still live in Edinburgh, are out of edinburgh during the week - no longer there to pop out at lunch time to pick up cartridges for the weekend and whilst about spending the bonus.

tom reveley

It's a shame that the shop is closing as it always used to be one of the first places I would head for when in town, it used to be quite a place when it still catered for the fishing side as well as the gun side of things, but as Heym SR20 has pointed out - external pressures and changes in shopping habits have pushed many more businesses away from the main shopping areas. We can all think of shops that have gone the same way over time, McCrirricks of Kilmarnock and Bagnall and Kirkwood in Newcastle to name, but two........ Still there is still the Orvis shop I can steer the boss to when she is on a hand bag and shoes hunt!
Bag all and kirkwood are still going strong Steve smith shut a few years ago atb tom

bruce w

i have a Dickson boxlock non ejector 12 bore 5lb 10 oz that is often thought to be a 16 bore nice to spend a whole day on the hill with ,when 1 doz shots is a big day ,not too great clay bashing ,they knew there grouse gun building

philip

End of an era. Dicksons is closing its doors at the end of next month. Been around for nearly 200 years and I think I am right in saying it is the last gun room in Edinburgh. A real shame. Wish Gary and the team there all the best for the future.
Thats a real shame I've spent many happy hours in the shop, it's always on my must visit list when on route northbound, fantastic Guns, a good friend has a Dickson and it performs faultlessly and it has a few years on it now

phil

Chanty Wrassler

Edinburgh City Council are charging ridiculous business rates in the city centre .
The rates poundage is set by the Scottish Government and is the same throughout Scotland (and has been for years). The rateable values are set by the area Joint Valuation Boards. Nothing to do with the councils.