Different Size of Wheels. What Effect ?

Uncle Norm

I have a 2010 L200 Warrior fitted with 17'' wheels. I am trying to buy a set of wheels to put winter/mud tyres on, without success. Looking on the internet and e-bay there are lots of 16'' and a few 18'' sets for sale.
Can anyone tell me what the effect of putting 16'' or 18'' wheels on my vehicle would be please ? Are there reasons not to do so ?

Your standard factory fitment wheel, is linked to your speedo readout, if you alter your wheelsize/tyresize, below or above the standard, your roadspeed indicated on the speedo will be incorrect, also your insurance may have a get-out, in the event of an accident if you do not declare a "Modification".

mereside

putting smaller wheels on will in effect make the engine rev more as you will be making the wheel diameter smaller so in turn making the wheels turn more before the same distance is covered. this will also throw the speedo out and it can make quite a difference.
to see how much difference this makes if you ever watch a video of the tt races and you watch on board footage when the bikes turn corners at speed you see and here the rev counter going up this is not the rider shutting off the throttle it is the tyre size changing as the bike is cranked over. yes this is extreme case but does illustrate the effect if anything go up to the 18" and you will lower the revs and give a better fuel consumption but again it will throw out the speedo,atb wayne

as finnbear says tell insurance of the mods

Si

I use 31" mud terrains on my hi-lux, overall height is about an inch and a half bigger than the standard 265/75/15. The only noticeable diiference is the speedometer compared to the sat nav is 5mph out at 70mph

jackfish

Was thinking the exact same last year but just went with changing the tyres on the 17" wheels to Cooper ATR's and to be honest I don't really notice the difference between these and road tyres so they are on to stay. They perform great offroad so best of both worlds.

ATB

Bryan

Rusty Gate

The 16 will spin more for same distance so speedo may run faster and reverse for 18.
They can get around this with a higher profile tyre for 16 which would mean the rolling radius would be nearer original (reverse for 18). Personally if the 16 were close enough is bang them on as they come.

You won't be far out on speed. Check engine rpm in 4/5 gears at 30/40 mph. Then again once fitted.
Engine rpm slightly higher for same speed means speedo runs slightly faster than you are so right side of wrong for speed cameras.

Rusty Gate

If your not concerned about them being pinched I wouldn't worry about insurance. They normally reply with - no problem.
I understand there concern but how many cars/ vehicles have people bought 2nd hand and how many of those people have gone to the dealer to see if there original fitment for their insurance? Don't know anyone that has. Only if its extreme modification I'd worry.

pablo.222

Was thinking the exact same last year but just went with changing the tyres on the 17" wheels to Cooper ATR's and to be honest I don't really notice the difference between these and road tyres so they are on to stay. They perform great offroad so best of both worlds.

ATB

Bryan

How do you find thoose cooper off road tyres? Garage close to me sells them but i didnt bother and just went for general grabbers(which are superb). But always open to new things. What kind of price did they cost you? If you dont mind me asking.

Apache

You can often spec different sized tyres on the car when new. The diameter is only one measurement - if the diameter increases and the wall measurement decreases you can end up with the same final diameter and spedo reading true etc.

Not quite as simple as stated above.

Wingy

I've gone from 15" and 70 profile to 17" and 70 profile on my Hilux increasing the overall diameter by about 4". Speedo is slightly out doing 32 mph when showing
30 mph so not really that bothered this difference however will increase as the speed rises but as I'm not usually in a hurry to get anywhere it doesn't bother me plodding at 60 mph on the motorway (probably actually traveling nearer to 70 mph anyway)
Wingy

jthyttin

I have a 2010 L200 Warrior fitted with 17'' wheels. I am trying to buy a set of wheels to put winter/mud tyres on, without success. Looking on the internet and e-bay there are lots of 16'' and a few 18'' sets for sale.
Can anyone tell me what the effect of putting 16'' or 18'' wheels on my vehicle would be please ? Are there reasons not to do so ?
First of all you need to make sure that different size wheel will fit. The first thing to check is that brakes still fit inside the wheel (obviously non-issue when going to bigger wheel size). Second thing is that wheel and tyre must not contact other parts during full in and out suspension, or turning the front wheels. This is a non-issue if you keep the width of the rim same, offset/ET (or backspacing which is same thing but measured differently) the same and outer diameter of the tyre the same. This would also eliminate the issues with engine revs and speedometer, that others pointed out.

Another consideration is, that if you're looking at offroad tyres you'd want to keep the profile of the tyre as high as possible, and thus the wheel size as small as possible (which still fits the brakes etc.) This allows using lower pressure, helps in tyre self-cleaning etc.

Looking at specs it seems you could have 245/65R17 as the OEM tyre/wheel size:

Full Specifications | Mitsubishi L200 | Mitsubishi Motors UK

You didn't specify what kind of conditions you're driving in, but for a quick no-brainer solution you could just order Goodyear All-Terrain tyres from Camskill and be done with it:

Goodyear Tyres / SUV 4x4 / Goodyear ATR Wrangler Goodyear AT R - 245/65 R17 107T (JE) TL Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 3 Noise: 73dB &pound117.40 SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 17" R17" - 245/65/17, 245/65R17

If you want to be serious first you need to do research which would be the conditions you'd be driving in and select appropriate tyres. Basically Mud Terrain if you're concerned about getting stuck on fields or similar, and All Terrain otherwise. A random internet search suggests there's 16" wheels available for your vehicle so I'd suggest taking that route:

Mitsubishi L200 4WD wheel sizes - Wheel size

Especially the 205/80R16 shows (same Camskill site as in above link) very good availability for different offroad tyres (is it used in some Land Rovers?) but also the 245/70R16 has some good alternatives like BF Goodrich All Terrain and the footprint is 20% larger. I wouldn't go over the nominal tyre sizes if you don't have suspension lift etc.

tartinjock

Distinguished Member
I've just changed from 245/65r17 to 265/70r17 on my Animal.

I GPS'd my speed against vehicle speed. At 70mph (Speedo) I was 72mph GPS. W wish I'd compared prior to changing, just for curiosity.

Dont see why your struggling to find a 17" tyre, Look on Camskill or Black Circles, more tyres than you'd know what to do with.

Si

Give Josh a call at AllCounty 4x4 Tyres - 0845 249 4414

he will advise what will best suit your vehicle

Don't sideline the insurance side of things, if you are involved in an accident, those barstewards will be looking for an out!, mention any changes from standard spec on your insurance renewals!:eek:

Mr. Gain

Don't sideline the insurance side of things, if you are involved in an accident, those barstewards will be looking for an out!, mention any changes from standard spec on your insurance renewals!:eek:
OK, but what if like 2130martin...

[You] have 16 inch winter rims/tyres and 18inch summer rims/tyres with equal over all diameter.
Are you going to ring them up when you switch your wheels over?

I've just changed from 245/65r17 to 265/70r17 on my Animal.

I GPS'd my speed against vehicle speed. At 70mph (Speedo) I was 72mph GPS. W wish I'd compared prior to changing, just for curiosity.

Dont see why your struggling to find a 17" tyre, Look on Camskill or Black Circles, more tyres than you'd know what to do with.
Thanks TJ but its not the tyres that I am having difficulty with, it is finding a set of 17'' rims at a reasonable price.

First of all you need to make sure that different size wheel will fit. The first thing to check is that brakes still fit inside the wheel (obviously non-issue when going to bigger wheel size). Second thing is that wheel and tyre must not contact other parts during full in and out suspension, or turning the front wheels. This is a non-issue if you keep the width of the rim same, offset/ET (or backspacing which is same thing but measured differently) the same and outer diameter of the tyre the same. This would also eliminate the issues with engine revs and speedometer, that others pointed out.

Another consideration is, that if you're looking at offroad tyres you'd want to keep the profile of the tyre as high as possible, and thus the wheel size as small as possible (which still fits the brakes etc.) This allows using lower pressure, helps in tyre self-cleaning etc.

Looking at specs it seems you could have 245/65R17 as the OEM tyre/wheel size:

Full Specifications | Mitsubishi L200 | Mitsubishi Motors UK

You didn't specify what kind of conditions you're driving in, but for a quick no-brainer solution you could just order Goodyear All-Terrain tyres from Camskill and be done with it:

Goodyear Tyres / SUV 4x4 / Goodyear ATR Wrangler Goodyear AT R - 245/65 R17 107T (JE) TL Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 3 Noise: 73dB &pound117.40 SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 17" R17" - 245/65/17, 245/65R17

If you want to be serious first you need to do research which would be the conditions you'd be driving in and select appropriate tyres. Basically Mud Terrain if you're concerned about getting stuck on fields or similar, and All Terrain otherwise. A random internet search suggests there's 16" wheels available for your vehicle so I'd suggest taking that route:

Mitsubishi L200 4WD wheel sizes - Wheel size

Especially the 205/80R16 shows (same Camskill site as in above link) very good availability for different offroad tyres (is it used in some Land Rovers?) but also the 245/70R16 has some good alternatives like BF Goodrich All Terrain and the footprint is 20% larger. I wouldn't go over the nominal tyre sizes if you don't have suspension lift etc.
Thank you for posting all this information. I has given me lots to consider. You are correct that the originals are 245/65/17. The use I put my truck to is gaining access to woodland via muddy tracks, driving on headlands or wheelings to recover Fallow carcasses or off the track in some part of the woods to recover a carcass. I also use it on such as stubble fields to drop and collect pigeon shooting gear. Occasionally I would use it to drive on wet and muddy tracks on the Ouse Washes for a bit of duck shooting. I only go off road as necessary and don't make a hobby of it as I don't fancy the long walk back if I screw it up.

Thanks FB, I will certainly check with my insurers once I have made my mind up what option to take. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure ! Lots of helpful info has been posted, so I'm getting there.