Digital check scales

Farmer Rick

Hi all, I’m thinking of getting a simple set of digital scales as a “check” set to quickly double check loads, using a beam balance for the actual measure but just wanted to make sure it’s holding true as the loads go. But was also thinking they might be handy to quickly weight heads and cases etc… they will not be “relied upon for loading” only as a check set. Any experience of them and recommendations or otherwise is greatly appreciated.

Woodsmoke

I used a set of £30 Amazon scales for ages, then completely lost confidence in them as they suddenly became very inconsistent. I use the Lee beam scales now and find I'm actually just as quick, but without even the slightest hint of doubt in their reliability. I've been put off digital scales for life now, to be honest. My worry with your plan is that if yours somehow become unreliable you might inadvertently adjust the beam scale incorrectly to suit. I reckon you should stick to one or the other :thumb:

aquarius11

Might not be everyone elses cup of tea but the cheap ebay stuff is +/- .05 grains and easily checked with the weight of your bullets.
Used them for quite sometime now for reloading as well.

SpikeD

I have a set of the Frankford Arsenal digital scales and during a reloading session found that they initially sped the process up. However I did notice that the charge weights would creep up on the scales after they sat in the pan for a few seconds. So I've reverted back to a trusty set of RCBS beam scales for actual loading.

However as I cast bullets and ant to quickly check the weight, the digital scales are the way to go, messing about with a beam scale to get bullet weight data is something you'll give up on after 5 minutes.

Farmer Rick

I used a set of £30 Amazon scales for ages, then completely lost confidence in them as they suddenly became very inconsistent. I use the Lee beam scales now and find I'm actually just as quick, but without even the slightest hint of doubt in their reliability. I've been put off digital scales for life now, to be honest. My worry with your plan is that if yours somehow become unreliable you might inadvertently adjust the beam scale incorrectly to suit. I reckon you should stick to one or the other :thumb:
I only use beam scales for reloading, but have found as a session goes they can move a little with the odd knock / bench nudge… only a tiny amount… which I then go back and check the beam zero, but that’s meddling with them and causing them to come out of zero, so the idea was to just quickly be able to put the land on the dig axles every 5-10 loads just to check the beam hasn’t been accidentally knocked etc…
And for weighing heads and cases would be much easier and quicker with a digital scale.

Foxyboy43

As late as this weekend my electronic scales have developed a tendency to add 0.5gns on an irregular basis so they are for the heave-ho. I only rarely used them in any event.
For the same money or less why not just buy a second set of balance scales? I have two and it is a very simple double-check process to pour into one, trickle to desired weight and transfer into second set for instant confirmation of weight. Takes seconds and 100% check too.
🦊🦊

Beam scales and a set of grain check weights will last a lifetime - Any digital scale you buy will be in the bin in a few years at the very most.

Klenchblaize

As late as this weekend my electronic scales have developed a tendency to add 0.5gns on an irregular basis so they are for the heave-ho. I only rarely used them in any event.
For the same money or less why not just buy a second set of balance scales? I have two and it is a very simple double-check process to pour into one, trickle to desired weight and transfer into second set for instant confirmation of weight. Takes seconds and 100% check too.
🦊🦊
Tried an in-line UPS with smoothing filter?

K