Dilemma, your thoughts please

labrador77

I'm thinking what to do regarding my main deer rifle which is a lovely old .270 Sako 691, nothing wrong with it but, do I continue using her as a tool and put up with the inevitable scratches etc, sell it and buy a T3x Lite (for example) or possibly send it off to be rebarreled and sat in a staffs synthetic stock saving the hassle of a variation. Or stop thinking a new rifle would be nice and forget the idea! Appreciate your thoughts.

My main stalking rifle is a Browning A-Bolt in .270. It's the Hunter model with a low-grade walnut stock. No figuring to speak of, a few dings and scratches, the barrel bluing is fading, and the bolt handle is polished with use. It still shoots more accurately than I'm capable of most days, but wouldn't get a second look from most folk. And I wouldn't change a thing about it! I don't treat it with kid gloves, but I don't abuse it either. It's a tool to be used as any other. I'd just enjoy your rifle as it is, and look back on the memory of each honourable battle-scar with fondness :thumb:

Last edited:
Keep the old one. New rifles don't stay new for long and just cost more money to do the same job. Rebarreling is nice but for the same money I'd probably buy a new rifle if i had to.

Last edited:
Rifles are made to be used, I have an almost forty year old Sako and for all of those years it has bern a working rifle used by clients under the estate rifle exemption as you can probably imagine some have treated it with less care than one would have hoped for.

Over the years it has gained its fair share of battle scars, rather than detracting from its appearance they have added to its character IMO

+1 as above,keep the sako its a tool,not a fashion statement, my 22.250 is 24 years old and shoots perfect, my latest rifle is 14 years old and is a cracker. dave. mmmmm faded bluing, polished bolt, wear marks on action, dents and scratches on stock, perfect rifle.

Last edited:
If it was a forty year old Land Rover, you’d call it patina and it makes it go up in value, but you wouldn’t sell it to buy a Kia !

For my 2p I would say don't be a sheep keep it use it forget chasing another if this one still continues to do all thats any new rifle will do now I have found the 280 ack in 695 tikka , I have no itch to get a newer rifle until it is shot out , and only then i'd prob just re barrel it in 270

As above . You have a great old Sako in a versatile and capable caliber . To be honest , I'd take your rifle over most new rifles produced today at the same price point . As to scratches and scars , honest wear . You should see some of my rifles , blueing gone , dents and scratches , but they shoot . In the end , everything else is vanity .......... that being said , you should still buy another rifle , you deserve it lol .

AB

Interesting female personification of your rifle Labrador77. You must be quite attached to it. The idea of upgrading a nice 30-something straight shooting Sako with a plastic stock would be akin to suggesting your lady got a boob job. She may or may not appreciate the implication. In such a situation I would err on the side of caution and keep the old model as is, if it develops fundamental problems, trade it on a new one!

If the stock is immaculate at the moment, get a synthetic stock to use until you want to sell it. It sounds as if you are inhibited by the worry of marking your pride and joy.

Back