Diseased Roe Buck- Mange

Erik Hamburger

Attached pictures show a badly diseased Roe buck, in a very poor condition, assumed to be Mange. Neck very pussy, carcass skin & bones. Shot by a friend, Gloucestershire, 27 July '21.

Attachments

• IMG-20210727-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210727-WA0010.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG-20210727-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210727-WA0009.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 182

Never seen mange anywhere near as bad as that. You sure it's not had a dog hanging off its neck at some point? Hard to tell from the pics though.

I bet he was relieved to be able to take that one out.

Buchan

The skin damage is too severe in one place for it to be mange. If it was, then the rest of the coat/skin would be bad. I've seen that sort of pattern of dried skin lifting away with animals getting photosensitisation , but I'd expect the ears to be affected. So I too am going with a dog that's set up a nasty infection under the skin and it's sloughed off. The sub mandibular and prescapular nodes are likely to be larger than usual.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I responded to this on another area of the web.

Mange does not appear like this in my opinion. I would say its a wound through fighting, or someone has creased it with a shot and its become infected. This would certainly happen at this time of year. I have seen this before a few years back, when a client skimmed a buck across the neck. One week later I found it with another client still alive although looking very sick, with a similar wound and fly infested with maggots.
I would put my money on someone trying to head shoot it and making a hash of it. But that's my opinion.