disgusting display of safty

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...
Status
Not open for further replies.

sir-lamp-alot

sorry if this has been brought up already but ive not had the internet for a couple of weeks and was having a look back through a couple of youtube programes i watch when i came across the single most disgusting display of safty i have ever seen, im not one for jumping on the "that wasnt a safe shot" band wagon but the shot the shooting show took on the cwd takes the biscuit.
The Shooting Show -- Chinese water deer stalking and Anschütz 1517 on test - YouTube
if you watch from about 6:30 you will get the gist

ferretmanabu

Not sure we can really comment from the video angle. Looks like ground may be rising behind the shot. And not sure if he's shooting from higher vantage point.

pheasant sniper 1

Climbing a high seat with your bino's swinging about for the all important publicity shot is much safer than tucking them in your jacket.

Painfull to watch as always

I. Farticus

There is a lot of "product placement" on those videos.

That's how they pay for the production of these free to view web tv shows I'm afraid. It's the same with fieldsportschannel.tv , but the biggest laugh is reading a "wot I stalked" advertorial in Sporting Rifle! "As it was cold/hot/sunny/slightly damp/whatever, I as wearing my new stalking outfit from xxx. The boots from xxx were lovely and warm/light/dry/whatever. I raised my xxx rangefinding binos, and saw the deer at 196 yards. Settling my xxx rifle in xxx calibre on the bipod/sticks by xxx, I looked through the xxx scope in x-xxXxx making sure that the overly complicated and obviously illuminated reticule was on target and pulled the trigger, sending a xxxgr round from xxx manufacturer out at x,xxxfps. Gralloching was a doddle using xxx knife and xxx gambrel then carried it back to the vehicle in my xxx roesack..."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

pip

The guy was shooting off sticks at a deer that was in a hollow with rising ground behind. Nothing wrong with it. The only thing I wasnt that happy with is the road behind the deer. If there had been a richochet, the bullet may have headed towards the road. Of course, it could have also richocheted in any other direction. You cannot stop the laws of nature.

smullery

sorry if this has been brought up already but ive not had the internet for a couple of weeks and was having a look back through a couple of youtube programes i watch when i came across the single most disgusting display of safty i have ever seen, im not one for jumping on the "that wasnt a safe shot" band wagon but the shot the shooting show took on the cwd takes the biscuit.
The Shooting Show -- Chinese water deer stalking and Anschütz 1517 on test - YouTube
if you watch from about 6:30 you will get the gist

I have a friend who shoots between a Primary School and a Tesco supermarket. It's the only option. Thundering great backstop.....

He just has to wait until the children are in class and no one's walking in the Tesco carpark.

Not rocket science. It's the sound that's the issue. Still safe.

​Stan

Grant.N

Just because the deer may be in a slight depression in the ground does not really constitute a safe backstop ( At least not in my book) . Bullets don't always just stay in the ground even when shooting from an elevated position such as a high seat.

arron

must admit i am with lamp-a-lot on this one ,from what was shown ,it looks a bit of a risky shot to me ,cold day ,gloves on could easly have slip a bit on the sticks,an inch at the barrel could have sent bullet towards road ,i no its all ifs and buts ,would it be a safe shot on your dsc 1 , lets also have some profesional opinions please, happy hunting ,arron.

pip

Just because the deer may be in a slight depression in the ground does not really constitute a safe backstop ( At least not in my book) . Bullets don't always just stay in the ground even when shooting from an elevated position such as a high seat.
There is no such thing as a 100% safe backstop. There is always a chance of a richochet. You only have to watch 7.62 hitting a 45 degree hillside at night to realise this. It's not just the tracer that richochets either.

Taff

some of you boys want to get out and stalk in the real world. a lot of ifs and buts and what ifs.

cervus

Also the ground may have been frozen ?

bobjs

im also with l.a.l,

i would never have taken the shot for no other reason than theres a road behind the target,

bob.

baguio

Sorry but I don't get your point? The ground is rising and provides a good backstop. There is also an additional bank behind the field which only the car roof shows over. The camera is lower than the rifle too. Who says that the ground is frozen solid either? It could just be a light dusting of snow on top of soft cultivated ground! too many assumptions on here from people who were not there! The pro stalker should be trusted on this one as always!

Last edited:

mo

I have never come across a "pro stalker" taking his own rifle out whilst guiding a paying client who also has a rifle. Surly if one is guiding a client (paying or not)the focus should be on guiding and getting the client the deer and not thinking of pulling the trigger himself/herself.

Dawnraider

Well I get out in the real world stalking plenty and shooting towards what is obviously a fairly busy road is asking for trouble,perhaps i'm over safe but I think that's a good quality in any firearm user.

Tackleberry270

I'm not going to say whether they were right or wrong to take the shot. Having fired tracer at night it gives you a little more to think about when it comes to backstops and ricochet as this clip demonstrates,

... there is also plenty of entertainment value for obvious reasons.

craigievarkiller

Well I get out in the real world stalking plenty and shooting towards what is obviously a fairly busy road is asking for trouble,perhaps i'm over safe but I think that's a good quality in any firearm user.

+1
All I can say is that I wouldn't have taken this shot with such a busy road behind the target.

There is always another day and another deer....just simply isn't worth the risk of a deflect or ricochet with the level of traffic in the back ground .... only in my opinion guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK Outfitters