Disposal of gralloch

S

SWB68

Hi

I'm looking for some help, and advice on this problem.

We have been asked by our landlord to no longer gralloch any deer in situ on the estate but to do it either in the larder and to remove it off site ASAP or if at all possible to do it off the estate entirely.
He is quoting the new rules regarding farm waste and the disposal of animal matter etc.
I think it all stems back from an incident earlier in the season where his wife's collie found some gralloch from a recently shot young roe buck, rolled in it, ate it and then was sick in the back of her Range Rover.
I have been told that deer guts and trimmings are now considered as commercial waste with all of the applicable rules that apply to commercial; waste disposal. Is that the case? We don't shoot that many deer 25 a year may be 2 or 3 more max but what can we do.

How do any of you get around this problem?

monynut

l have a similar situation on some of my ground, what l do (with the agreement of my landlord) is l carry a small foldable spade and bury it or if l am close enough to the motor bag it up and incinerate it at home, don't stick it in the bin its not allowed

S

SWB68

Precisely. At present we are effectively banned from stalking as our landlord is insistent upon his demand that nothing is done in situ.
So I would like to try and find a practical solution now when we have time on our hands in order to be absolutely ready for the off once the F&M restrictions are lifted and hostilities or should I say stalking can commence.

Moneynut

I have been informed that any animal waste product. By which I think they mean Gralloch that is disposed of by burial needs to be a minimum of 1m below the surface. Thats one deep hole to dig with a folding spade. Incineration might be a possible solution. Do they make small free standing ones which I suppose would need to run on Propane.

monynut

SWB68

You are correct they do have to be 1 m deep that is why were possible l remove them and incinerate them as it is mainly roe and munties l am dealing with and access to the ground is quite good so unless it is a problem to get to removal is the preferred option.

As for small free standing incinerators they possibly do exist but unless you can come to an arrangement with the landlord to keep and use it on site so to speak is that an option.

morena

It is under dicussion by the EU at present to ban the burying of the gralloch anywhere,"Animal Waste Products" legislation.Watch this space. As our AUTHORITIES implement all EU directives without proper consultation,don't hold your breath.
Being of a bloody minded disposition have happy thoughts of an Environmental Officer climbing a Scottish Mountain to retrieve same and then identifying the carcase from which it came.Line of evidence.Interesting!!!

Morena

swampy

Account Suspended
these are crazy days

This is mad isn't it! a gralloch is (in my experience) only there until the next day when it has been snaffled up by all sorts of wildlife and in the summer if the fox doesn't find it it is gone quickly with maggots.

steve

Beowulf

I have an arrangement with a butcher/game dealer friend to dispose of any deer waste in his butchery waste bins. I give him the occasional deer and thats it. All legal!
You might want to try that? Although I think you'd would get some funny looks in Tesco's!

SWB 68 is that a Land Rover reference?

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Cant see this being easily policed in the Scottish highlands, the gralloch is eaten by Ravens, Buzzards and Eagles etc, and is generally gone by the end of the day, or at least by the end of the following day. And its a great deal of extra weight to carry off the hill!! Can you imagine what it will be like if you have culled 3 or 4 hinds in a day which is not uncommon?

I can understand it being slightly sensative down south in a populated area with walkers and general public etc, maybe coming across the entrails and in this instance it would be sensible to bury it, but as Swampy so rightly said, this is madness.

S

SWB68

I agree it is totally potty. But its them rules and regs again. You only need some jobs worth to make it his business and they will have an excuse to have you before the beak.
There has been a spate of malicious reports regarding keepers of late, which has caused a number of law abiding keepers to get not just a visit but to have search warrant taken out against them. You can imagine the aggravation's and upset that causes within the domestic home. None have had any charges brought against them on any of the malicious reported incidences.

Thanks for the tip regarding butchery waste bins, would Morrissons be a better bet? And yes swb68 refers to my old girl. Getting on a bit and has lost a lot of her shine, but is still going strong, might not be the quickest on the road but always gets me to where I want to be. Plus its road tax exempt
:p and runs on just about anything since we swapped the power plant over to a diesel. Smells a bit like a kebab house as thats where the old chip oil comes from but who cares. It helps hide the smell of wet labs and deer guts.

I must remember to pay the fuel duty though. ;)

The best solution is to stick it in a hedge / ditch, so Charlie still gets fed but no one is going to trip over it. Then tell the landlord / whoever that you have disposed of it in their favourite fashion. As someone pointed out, Charlie will have had it by morning.

I suspect you'll find incinerators open up a whole new field of difficulties - I believe the hunt kennels found there was a lot of restrictions involved.
Also my understanding was that farmers were not able to burn carcasses on site.
roger

devilishdave

Graloch

My take on this is that if you are shooting a few deer per year for sport then it is not comercial and can be disposed of with your normal refuse. Personaly I leave it in the field but not if it is near where dog walkers are likely to find it. I have access to a comercial food disposal to get rid if I want to use it.

If it is to be classed as comercial waste then one thing you cant do is just build an incinerator and burn it. In order to burn anything a comercial business has to have a licence to polute!!

Dave

Beowulf

SWB,
Mines a stripped down ex mod 110 1986, with a transplanted new Aussie spec 300tdi with discovery g/box and t/box. She goes a bit, but its scary!!!! :lol:
Regards Beowulf.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Now I have been off for a bit, messing about getting a website up and running for our fishing club, and what do I come back to, there is an argument on another thread which started off about midges as I recall and ended up with a row about quads and stuff. Now the gralloch thing has raised it's ugly head. The fools in charge of coming up with such regulations appear to have set aside about 10 minutes for research and implementation. Mother nature, silly girl, took thousands of years of research and evolution to provide us with a very efficient waste removal army.

I like wildlife and will continue to feed it, birds in the garden get their seed at the bird table, pheasants get theirs in a feeder, pine martens were swiping strawberries from the garden this year, and the foxes, ravens and company get their gralloch. Apart from those that get buried one metre deep of course. I wonder if whoever came up with that idea has ever tried digging for a metre in a highland forest or on the hill. I think not!

John

S

SWB68

Beowulf said:
SWB,
Mines a stripped down ex mod 110 1986, with a transplanted new Aussie spec 300tdi with discovery g/box and t/box. She goes a bit, but its scary!!!! :lol:
Regards Beowulf.
Nothing wrong with ex MOD vehicles.They are often absolute bargains at the auctions. Not as often as they use to be though as more and more people are cottoning on to them. Not sure that I would have picked a 110. Also a lot odf them are 24v. :evil:
How is an Assuie speced tdi different? Other than a beefed up oil and water cooling system. Or am I off track?
I have fitted an overdrive unit to mine and changed the suspension bushes. But thats about it.

I know where there is a full 110 galv roof rack if your interested?

Beowulf

The Aussie has no 'electrical bits' built into the engine, just the ignition. A pure lump of engine. The Aussies apparently prefer a straight forward engine that does exactly what it says on the tin. No chips, fuel consumption monitors etc. No problems in the middle of no where, well no elecy problems! With Landies problems are fitted as standard! :lol:

S

SWB68

That is what I like about the old ones. With a set of spanners, a couple of screwdrivers and a 5lb lump hammer and you can fix 99.9% of the problems. With out huge parts and labour bills.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Hey JAYB, I thought you had immigrated ? I am up at the end of September beggining of October for about 2 weeks. Give me a PM with your number as I lost it, and you are welcome to come over one evening for a meal.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards Malc

S

SWB68

sikamalc said:
Hey JAYB, I thought you had immigrated ?
:lol:

That reminds me of my Granny.

She once told me to put some that petulian jelly on a badly grazes elbow.

I think what she meant was petroleum jelly or Vaseline. :lol: