DIY OAL Gauge

Big Bang Theory

Hi all, don’t know if it’s of any interest but I just made an OAL gauge for the princely sum of £4.65. 8mm aluminium tubing from a well known DIY superstore and about an hour of work. If anyone’s interested I’ll pass on the details.

Hi all, don’t know if it’s of any interest but I just made an OAL gauge for the princely sum of £4.65. 8mm aluminium tubing from a well known DIY superstore and about an hour of work. If anyone’s interested I’ll pass on the details.

Pictures please.....we like a person who can make stuff.

Oh welcome as well

Tim.243

I looked at making one and probably way over engineered it as it was working out at about £16 including the tap and die for the case and the rod so I'm intrigued by your design.

AF1C1EED-682C-426E-917E-E2BBCC906C6B.jpgAC67CB7B-914E-4E26-B040-B9182C610D81.jpgA2274902-D19B-4C0E-90A4-D3F370FE182E.jpg40B7721C-8D5A-43EF-BDAD-D5277671B5F2.jpgEB1F44CF-0E89-467C-BBC9-5AA7AB325388.jpg

So as the receipt shows, 8mm OD aluminium tube (£3.85) and 6mm Dowling. I threaded 1cn of the end of the tubing using M8 die. I then filed a 3cm groove to half the depth of the tube. I drilled the primer hole out with a 7mm drill bit and tapped it with an M8 tap. Screwed the case on and filed the threads away until they were inside the bottom of the case. Used grinding paste on some of the unused dowel to let the bullet slip easily into the case. Just need to drill and tap for a screw to keep the dowel in place. Hope I’ve explained it ok!

I have been researching this myself actually

Did the retailer name sound like “drew fix” but haven’t found all the parts yet.

That is dead easy. Bit of 10 mm aluminium bar about 1" long. Measure the .224 bullet dia on the ogive and with drill of approx same or fractionally smaller dia drill hole though center of rod. Cut/file a slot to allow the comparator to slide onto the jaw of your calipers. Cross drill and thread say m3 to take a screw which will lock comparator onto caliper jaws.

Job done, I used one for some years until when in USA purchased the Hornady version with inserts.

D

I was thinking about trying to find an unwanted air rifle and lopping an inch off the barrel but your idea sounds much easier! Ging125 get it finished?

Got it done! Struggled to get the threaded case straight when threading as I only have hand tools and a cordless drill. Works tho.
Also getting the neck tension right for the bullet to move was tricky.
I have a couple of m4 brass thumb screws if you want one to hold the dowl. Pm me your address
Chris

Also I bout some 6mm aluminium rod as an alternative to the wood dowl but is fractionally to big.
Going to diy a lathe with my drill and sand it down so it fits

Also I bout some 6mm aluminium rod as an alternative to the wood dowl but is fractionally to big.
Going to diy a lathe with my drill and sand it down so it fits
Pics please as thinking of doing the same thanks PS where did you get the parts etc many thanks

Back