DMQ Wild boar qualification

Maybe an opportunity to set up as a game dealer. Roe at £1/kg, their having a laugh. £1/lb would be cheap. Find some fancy restaurants (I'm sure they exist near you) that just want the best bits and they will pay good money for them, and serve them up for maybe £25 upwards per standard 4-5 ounce portion.

I got very annoyed when one of my roe was robbed from the estate larder where it was hanging, with my tag on it, by a fancy London chef. He, well the keeper, just took the loins and left the rest. Harsh words with the keeper afterwards, I paid good money to stalk it, and the proper price for the carcass. His excuse, well the man just wants the loins and I need to keep him happy, he pays very well, so sorry for the error. A small meal at that restaurant costs at least £50.

Rabbits, well it only takes 5 minutes to prepare one, then bung it into the freezer. Curry it, chilli, stir-fry or just slow cook it into a casserole. Or feed it to your dog raw. Mine likes the whole thing, head included, if I've got the pellet out.

I know that the original question was regarding a DMQ type qualification but are we getting a little bit blurred between qualification and legislation (ie. seasons etc)?

Like it or not we are now in a cycle where there will be ever more certificates to get, as soon as a lot of people engage and get one (eg DSC1) they will develop another because basically you need to have some sort of rating system.

Unfortunately when taking access over (commercially managed as opposed to privately) land with firearms you are always going to have to prove you are a safe pair of hands and this is pretty much the only way to do it

Feel free to tell the police that they are wrong, I'm sure that they will appreciate your opinion next time that you attempt to renew your FAC. I don't agree that they are using the DSC1 as proof of experience, what they are doing is using it as a benchmark to help to establish your good reason for possession of an S1 firearm supported by the safety test that you have to pass to achieve it.
I don’t have dsc1 and have never been asked for it at any time ?

I know that the original question was regarding a DMQ type qualification but are we getting a little bit blurred between qualification and legislation (ie. seasons etc)?

Like it or not we are now in a cycle where there will be ever more certificates to get, as soon as a lot of people engage and get one (eg DSC1) they will develop another because basically you need to have some sort of rating system.

Unfortunately when taking access over (commercially managed as opposed to privately) land with firearms you are always going to have to prove you are a safe pair of hands and this is pretty much the only way to do it
And why are we in this cycle ? It is entirely of our own making !

Well I shoot a lot of land and a lot of deer so they obviously can’t mean that much to landowners ......as regards something going wrong that’s what shooting insurance is for . I think the problem is for some odd reason a few of the shooting community crave more regulation and I believe they are a huge threat to the future of shooting and firearms ownership .
I shoot 4 farms and 2 stables, I have DSC1 as FLD wouldn’t let me shoot deer (with a deer calibre rifle already open for fox) until I had it. No one, landowner wise, has ever asked if I have DSC let alone to see it....

Well that was worth posting the link!

For the record I'm all for training and qualifications. I thoroughly enjoyed doing my levels 1, 2 and a recent Lantra humane dispatch course. If people want to do a course on boar then fair play to them, it's their choice, I certainly wouldn't knock them for doing so and if I shot boar it's something that I would consider.

I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist. If you feel you don't need to do any courses or training then fine, that's your choice but similarly if you do want to attend the courses with the sole purpose of learning something you shouldn't be scrutinised for it.

I shoot 4 farms and 2 stables, I have DSC1 as FLD wouldn’t let me shoot deer (with a deer calibres rifle already open for fox) until I had it. No one, landowner wise, has ever asked if I have DSC let alone to see it....
Well all I can say is the fld is acting outside home office guidelines by asking that , refreshing to hear some honesty that Dsc means nothing to landowners though ...

Well all I can say is the fld is acting outside home office guidelines by asking that , refreshing to hear some honesty that Dsc means nothing to landowners though ...

It was that or sign off by a mentor, and a while ago now. Could have argued at the time, didn’t know better.

As for the landowners doing a good reliable job for one on the vermin and going from there meant more than paperwork it seems

Well that was worth posting the link!

For the record I'm all for training and qualifications. I thoroughly enjoyed doing my levels 1, 2 and a recent Lantra humane dispatch course. If people want to do a course on boar then fair play to them, it's their choice, I certainly wouldn't knock them for doing so and if I shot boar it's something that I would consider.

I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist. If you feel you don't need to do any courses or training then fine, that's your choice but similarly if you do want to attend the courses with the sole purpose of learning something you shouldn't be scrutinised for it.

It will become essential/mandatory as DSC1 or 2 generally is for forestry etc. then people don’t have the choice, that is the issue.

Back