Do I need another rifle...?

WSSX

Ok, so not an additional rifle, but do I want to swap one out?

Currently have a deer rifle (.308), a foxing rifle (.222) and a couple of rimfires (.17HMR and .22LR). The centrefires are usually out on a weekly basis but, as I'm in a bit of a rabbit desert right now, the rimfires much less so. I'm considering chopping one in (probably the .22) for a service rifle - maybe a Swedish M/38 if I can find one - for playing at Bisley and (if I can shoot well enough with iron sights!) as a backup, short-range deer gun. Is this madness or might it be fun?

Another option would be a proper range-type rifle, but then the plan is to one day shoot out the .222 and rebarrel with a slow twist .223 (sacrilege, I know…) for that purpose.

Any thoughts on this latest fantasy?

Heym SR20

Yes some of us live in rabbit deserts, but then it rains again. Everytime you change a rifle you loose money. Either of the rimfires also provide cheap practice. As soon you sell them you will come into lots of rabbits

Now as for the itch for a service rifle - that is a totally different use case compared to the rimfires. You have and can demonstrate good reason so just fill in that variation, pay your £20 and start shopping.

when you are in your dottage you won’t be saying I wish had had far fewer toys, nor for that matter wish you had spent more days at work!!!

alberta boy

A M38 Swede is always a good idea ( I have a few myself ) , one of the best milsurps out there . You'll be surprised how accurate a decent M96/M38 can be . If you're not using one of your rifles , it only makes sense to switch it out for something you will . Personally , I'll never be without a good 22lr , but mine see a lot of use .

WSSX

when you are in your dottage you won’t be saying I wish had had far fewer toys, nor for that matter wish you had spent more days at work!!!
Haha I was afraid someone would say that 😆 I was also going to put up a spare cabinet I've had clogging up my garage, so not like I won't have space!

Good to hear about the Swede. I like the look of them and I guess the chambering is pretty versatile. Finding a nice one in this country might be more problematic...

scrumbag

I'd say the last thing to sell is the .22lr because of the cheap practice options.

Put in a variation for the Mil-Surp.

Scrummy

HandB

In addition to my sporting rifles I have a 1950 Lee Enfield No 4 that was converted to 7.62 NATO by Parker Hale, known as a T4. It's great for long range target use but has that historic service rifle heritage (fast bolt, ten round mag) so I would keep all your existing rifles and add a 7.62 Lee Enfield conversion such as a T4 or Enfield Envoy. The added bonus is you can use the same reloading dies as your 308 deer rifle.

WSSX

Rebarreling a 222 to 223, how can anyone help you👿
Haha just a potential future option for stretching the range a bit. I'm pretty enamored with the rifle and cartridge as it is, so it may never happen!

Beware of the Swedes! In more than one way,,most have seen a LOT of usage in many different hands, and it goes for the rifles too ;)
Is that the case for all milsurp or have the Swedes had a particular hammering? And speaking of rebarrelling, is that a thing people do or would it be mental and pointlessly expensive?

Foxyboy43

Rebarreling a 222 to 223, how can anyone help you👿
Sad indeed, surely there must be treatment available for this awful malaise? My thoughts are with the family…
🦊🦊
PS
get a Mosin Nagant 91/30 - mine shoots 2/3 moa with Sierra homeloads or if you really want fun the M44 “boomstick”, the origin of russian for pyrotechnics, apparently. Then there is always the M48 Mauser………..
B82B4F57-55A2-4CFE-8F7D-82E04F1008A1.jpeg B3990501-D293-4C07-9F93-8D8C21B441C8.jpeg

Last edited:

WSSX

@Foxyboy43 I was going to say I've never been a fan of the Mosin or the K98 and variants, but those two look very neat. Mosin looks long enough to poke holes in the target without firing though 😆

There is also a small, patriotic part of me that feels I should get a No.4 or SMLE.

Urgh, another can of worms opened...

Foxyboy43

@Foxyboy43 I was going to say I've never been a fan of the Mosin or the K98 and variants, but those two look very neat. Mosin looks long enough to poke holes in the target without firing though 😆

There is also a small, patriotic part of me that feels I should get a No.4 or SMLE.

Urgh, another can of worms opened...
Yep. The Mosin was probably the longest of the long guns used in WW1 and 2, then add the 18” or so bayonet - defo not made for close combat. Apparently sighted with bayonet attached at 300 yds (or arshins?) so troops were instructed to aim for the belt buckle! They do shoot very high at 100! Interesting stuff on the tube showing them to be indestructible - check out Iraq8888.
My first (and only) SMLE had the metal come down through the stock after the fifth shot - just like an axe in a log, stopping just short of my cheekbone. Went foreign thereafter!
🦊🦊

WSSX

My first (and only) SMLE had the metal come down through the stock after the fifth shot
Eeek, that's off-putting.

It would be cheaper to buy a new rifle than buy the ammo required to shoot out a 222. 🤩
Haha this is true, but the barrel came to me with some healthy pitting! Not that it seems to make any difference - it's shot some of the best groups I've ever managed 🤷‍♂️

Time to research some interesting historical rifles before committing to a variation then! I know of Highwood - any other sites worth poking around?

Sampo

Do I need another rifle...? If the answer is anything but 'Yes', then you need to see your GP asap. There is something seriously wrong.

Find a local club and you could always put the .22LR to good use. There's usually some competitions as well, which is a fun way to get some use out of the rifle. Also try practising at 100 and even 200 yards as it provides good feedback on wind speed, practising from a shooting stick and so on. A variation hopefully will solve the issue.