Do pull throughs really work?

hunting

i am really interested to see if pull throughs for shotguns really work so when i come in from lamping i dont have to spend loads of time cleaning the gun and which are the best pull throughs?

Its abit like washing your face and behind your ears when really you need a good bath :lol:

Its only a short time measure !!!!!

I dunno the boresnake is very effective and quick, unless there is excessive lead fowling from the likes of days on the one or two passes with a bore snake will do the trick. No need for flannelet either, just pop it in an old sock and throw it through the wash.

I'd advise against a bore snake in a .410 or rifle however, bit mroe prone to problems if the thing snaps.

If you buy a decent one and wash occasionally they do a pretty good job on shotguns, with mine it otherwise wouldn't get cleaned every outing. If you are particularly anal about the slight piece of lead marking then maybe its not for you but they pull out all the powder residue and my barrels come up pretty shiny

I do use them in shotguns and have used them in rifles to remove any initial loose powder/fouling.

I use them with the Napier solvent in a big can. 2 pulls down each barrel and the bores come up lovely.

Do still clean properly from time to time, but with shotguns I have become a lot less fussy than I used to be.

I spray a load of napier down my shotguns, leave for half an hour, then put a boresnake through until they're gleaming (1-5 times)

Rifles are another matter, but for a smooth-bore shotgun I can't see why you'd used any other method!

I have boresnakes for all of my guns. I find it very effective on the 12ga. Like another posted said, sometimes it takes two passes and a bit of spray but that is when its very fouled up. I suppose it would depend on what carts you use. But for me its very effective. HTH

I've used them since they came out but don't know if they do what they were ment too,you can't see unless you have a camera type thing to see,my guess is not really,probaly good for getting out any rain that got inside :doh:

Its abit like washing your face and behind your ears when really you need a good bath :lol:

Its only a short time measure !!!!!

As above. I give mine a quick wipe down with kitchen roll then an oil cloth and pull it through wth a bore snake then every couple of months I give it a good going over inc having the ejectors out.

Rick

Why do you need a camera to see if a 12 guage barrel is clean?

I've used them since they came out but don't know if they do what they were ment too,you can't see unless you have a camera type thing to see,my guess is not really,probaly good for getting out any rain that got inside :doh:

pull through before and after use with a soft microfibre patch to lift particles out but any difficult to shift bits a bore snake soon shifts. Anything past that is a bit much and you need to start thinking about putting rounds down to resettle the gun to zero

I spray a load of napier down my shotguns, leave for half an hour, then put a boresnake through until they're gleaming (1-5 times)

Rifles are another matter, but for a smooth-bore shotgun I can't see why you'd used any other method!
+1

Having had 2 BoreSnakes stuck in my rifle & the second one requiring removal with a lathe, I would avoid the things like the plague. Hoppes ended up paying me the cost of the removal, so excellent service from them

i use on martini henrys after i steamed the barrel out.....just oil the end and pull through

Crikey loiner where did you find this old thread, I didn't realise they kept records on threads that went back that far (nearly 7 years). :)
You must be making an attempt on the resurrection record.
:rofl:

How did they get stuck? I've never had any problems with mine, either with the .22 or .270
I can't understand that either! In the unlikely event that the thinner pull cord were to snap or part company while the thicker part was still in the barrel you'd simply get hold of the loop on the other end and pull it back out the way it went in. The thick part of the snake is longer than the barrel, so it's always poking out either one end or the other.

Nobody clean choke tubes on here? I'm religiously removing, cleaning and oiling after every outing (Choke are expensive and it takes 5 minutes):rofl: usually clean the action nd re-grease too

Nobody clean choke tubes on here? I'm religiously removing, cleaning and oiling after every outing

If they're in right there should be no need to remove them. The threats are protected, and the bores will be cleaned when you pull-through anyway

Back