Do you need SNOW CAMO for the hill in January

Bladerunner

HI everyone

Another 'Novice' question, do you need to wear some sort of 'Snow' type camo on the hill (obviously when it is snowing). There is a very small chance that I might get up to Scotland for a chance to get after some Red, just wondering if its needed and if so, what the more experienced guys are using??? if any what would be your the recommendations??

Last edited:
HI everyone

Another 'Novice' question, do you need to wear some sort of 'Snow' type camo on the hill (obviously when it is snowing). There is a very small chance that I might get up to Scotland for a chance to get after some Red, just wondering if its needed and if so, what the more experienced guys are using??? if any what would be your the recommendations??

I use a white overalls cheep and cheerful. I have tryed the disposable ones they tare easy and you look like the victim of a lion attack.

Regards kev.

You dont really have to. Also remember if you do wear camo you should always have something brightly coloured/ contrasting in case you need to be found

You don't need camo a pair of white overalls will do just as well,you can buy proper snow suits, but some of them have a finish that causes you to cast a shadow, not a lot of good when the deer can't see you but they can see a human shaped shadow moving across the face of the hill.

i use white chemical spraying suits in the snow they are very effective as the crows and pigeons was flighting down over head about 10 feet from us......

Before I took up stalking I asked around if someone would take me out to let me see what it was all about. We arrived at the ground to discover snow, which we hadn't expected. All my guide had in the car was a white lab-coat which he wore with a balaclava. I would not recommend trying this look unless you are keen to get to meet an armed response unit.

Just read extract from a piece of scientific research that says white is one of the worst things to wear as deer see it easily and it also reflects other colours they can see easily, blue allegedly being the most visible. But would echo Cris's point as the report also says keep still as movement is what they are best at spotting!

Hey there,

having stalked a few deer now and taken a few guests out i would suggest taking nothing but normal gear,all to often the stalker does not even consider "whites"and to be honest it should be the stalker that provides these,i have kit i also wear it where applicable,but i would never expect a guest to arrive with snow camouflage,unless you are totally committed with whites i.e., everyone,rifle and no stick i would not bother!! then we get to the gralloching bit!!! "BLOOD" also if you do buy whites don't buy the camouflage ones with strips of black,they look sexy don't get me wrong but i can assure you mother nature shall provide these touches!!!

good luck!

d.m
HI everyone

ebay suits look like something from Halloween!!!! Rather than get more socks at Christmas I requested a snow camo suite. Over trousers and over jacket. very good and vents better than a complete suit. The only time I have not had it with me over the winters it snowed. :doh: It is fine moving stealthfully but I am sure the snow suit helps. Overalls, sheets, lab coats would all be good. As would being a vegetarian if you want to be pale!!!

The last time I used snow cammo in the Highlands, I just used one of the £5 white industrial type overalls. Worked a treat and was good enough for another couple of outings....while it's a great help to have whites in snow conditions, it's not an absolute 'must have', - helps with the confidence though.

All of my friends and I, when we've been stalking in the snow have at one time or another have used whites as snow cammo and have shot hinds every time out. Would it have been different had we not used whites...who can say!
Get something cheap and use if necessary, make a proper judgement about whether to spend more later.

There's always cover available & as someone mentioned earlier...it's movement the deer see. ATB

Last edited:
As said above whites are not essential but can be useful.

Much more important though is a very clear sense of Scottish Mountains in winter and the very real threat of avalanche, slipping and exposure. If you have a set of crampons and it's freezing hard I would have them in your pack. Not that useful on the stalk, but coming down, especially if dragging a hind or two they can make all the difference. Ditto general survival gear.

However in really hard weather most deer will pushed to lower ground and amongst forestry and that's where you will be rather than up on the open hill.

I've got a set of Canadian Forces issue whites , they're two piece and just go over your winter clothing . To be honest , I use them more for predator hunting than anything else . I hunt in mature forest and I usually just wear the white pants and my camo jacket . It breaks up my outline more effectively . If I wear the complete outfit I look like the Michelin man walking through the timber , not very stealthy lol . I'll only use the complete outfit if I'm out on the prairie , which is usually when I'm after coyotes . As others have said , being conscious of your movement and using cover to move is more important .

AB

Back