Does A Grolloch Put Other Deer Off?

jamross65

Had a chat with a friend today about how some folk think leaving a gralloch or even shooting a beast on a particular area will put off other deer for a while. We have both heard some stalkers saying it does. Personally I think it's a lot of c**p.

Any other thoughts on it as no doubt folk new to stalking may be swayed by such opinion...?

(not sure if it's been discussed before so apologies if it has...)

Last edited:

limulus

I shot a buck friday evening then another no more than 50yards from where the grollach was being feasted on by those big brown crows. Id watched a doe and twins walk within 5 yards of the same grollach without showing any reaction before shooting the second buck, so Id say no.

pheasant sniper 1

I agree with Tony..

With one of my permissions being only 20 acres, its been surprising the number of times whilst stripping one deer another has presented itself.

I have taken two deer many times on the same outing so agree with you and your mate that it most likely does not affect other deer.

basil

Distinguished Member
With the amount of Foxes and Badgers about i wouldn`t have thought it would be there long enough to worry about.

Paul 600

I would say the opposite! Deer are curious and will often sniff the area where blood and guts have been or are. Round here you shoot a Muntjac and two come to the funeral! :D

Last edited:

sako751sg

Totally opposite imo.Many times we have watched roe walk straight to a gralloch and have a good sniff withoot and feeding around it.First noticed it at night when waiting for foxes under a big moon and happened regulary when baiting with gralloch.

norma 308

No not bothered ,but I have seen deer jump over trail in the grass rather than walk through it !

Wingy

Shot a buck, early evening, from a raised doe box, did the gralloch and left it there with the intention of sitting in the box later to wait for Charlie. Dragged buck back to the car and went back to the doe box about an hour later. When a doe appeared, was feeding in same area, then sniffed at the gralloch, then appeared to track where I dragged the buck carcass, right past the doe box and along the track towards my car.
So in answer gralloch does not put other deer off.
Wingy

mereside

In my experience it doesn't bother them but they seem to be curious about it having a sniff about, not quite the same but i shot a buck on a level 2 stalk and a doe followed the blood trail sniffing blood spatter on leaves as she went along again not bothered and she took ages over it ,atb wayne

6pointer

Grallochs upset people more than deer so we remove ours and place them out of the way. More upsetting to deer would be were we do the toilet that should have a bit more thought at times.

stalker.308

Grallochs upset people more than deer so we remove ours and place them out of the way. More upsetting to deer would be were we do the toilet that should have a bit more thought at times.

+1 on this, I never relieve myself on my grounds unless it is directly in a watercourse, don't know what it is about the sound of rushing water!

Klenchblaize

Can't see other deer being concerned by it if with buried 1m below ground or removed from site as BP dictates.

Do L2 Assessors carry a tape measure to check full compliance as part of a successful stalk sign off?

I’d ask them to carry the entrenching tool by way of cutting a bit of slack.

K

jamross65

The buzzards, foxes, badgers, mice, rats, crows, rooks, magpies and so on, all do a grand job of removing any gralloch in 48hrs on my ground and no doubt really appreciate the supplement to their diet especially in the winter.

BP should consider the other animals feelings and well-being before suggesting hiding grallochs 1m deep where nothing else can benefit. ;)

bogtrotter

The buzzards, foxes, badgers, mice, rats, crows, rooks, magpies and so on, all do a grand job of removing any gralloch in 48hrs on my ground and no doubt really appreciate the supplement to their diet especially in the winter.

BP should consider the other animals feelings and well-being before suggesting hiding grallochs 1m deep where nothing else can benefit. ;)

Could not agree more,besides realistically who is going to carry a spade on the hill carrying the essentials is hard enough.

Maybe those that advocate that
grallochs should be buried can tell me why its ok for something thats died naturally
to be left to feed the carrion eaters, but its wrong to leave a gralloch.

As six pointer said it can upset Joe public and if its an area where people are likely to be its not a bad idea to try and get it out of sight.

As regards the original question does a gralloch put other deer off? I have never found it to do so, on the other hand a GROLLOCH:scared:

Pedro

I think it comes down to the Deer's intelligence. Although not dumb compared to many animals, I don't think they make the connection with a pile of discarded innards being out of one of their own kind that came to a sticky end and therefore they don't see it as a threat or evidence there might be one.

User00014

on my red ground if you leave the gralloch you wont see them for a month and thats fact !

i dont even touch them with a knife until they are confirmed dead and off the field

jamross65

I have lots of examples where it obviously makes no difference, but it still occasionally crops up in comment from other folk.

Shot a Sika stag last year with a guest and drove him down to the lower ground to look back up onto the hill where we had been 30mins earlier. We could see the gralloch (grolloch BT ;)) we had just left, lying 20' from 3 stags that had now also come out to feed. There were also 3 other patches of 'green' lying in the same area from the previous week...

jamross65

on my red ground if you leave the gralloch you wont see them for a month and thats fact !

i dont even touch them with a knife until they are confirmed dead and off the field

Is that because of the gralloch though, or the fact a beast has been shot from a group and they are now wary of that area regardless?

jimbo1984

Gents I'm Dissapointed to say the least !!! Everyone who has been on a course knows that you NEED to have a mini digger ready to bury the gralloch and full surgical scrubs before you touch a deer !! What lunacy is this suggesting that it simply be left for other creatures who will readily clean it up as we have done for centuries Before with no I'll effect , hang your heads in Shame lads I would have thought better from dsc level 65s like yourselves ;)

jamross65

I have to be honest Davie, and say I don't think that matters a jot either. We leave scent behind us everywhere we walk, whether in the air or off our feet. Would peeing have a greater effect of scaring the deer when they know we have been there anyway?

As an example covering the gralloch question and the peeing one, I shot a young stag yesterday morning up a narrow ride. I dragged it down to the track in front if the high seat and gralloched it there. I lifted the gralloch into some re-gen larch so it couldn't be seen from the road but not hidden as such.

Inthe evening I put a mate up into the same seat as its sooo busy with deer there. On his way in there was a hind and calf stood right under the highseat, where I had a pee in the morning before climbing into it. He saw 22 deer crossing the ride and got a shot at a young spiker.....