Dog stuff..tame.

johngryphon

The rusted out old metal bowl has been placed over the trap so as to give the dogs freedom to ****/scent and show me if there is a reaction close to the cow.
This is where I caught the old dog recently. I salted the cow cavity with some suitable deer hide today.

The only camera caught predator visitor is the fox in this photo.
He seems to be preparing for a cold winter going by his brush.
If he steps in he is a $10 job,I`d rather a dog of course.

Rory

Fascinating stuff this, I am intrigued by the activity having seen a few of your trapping posts.
Who pays for the dogs that are dispatched? Do you have to take them in for money or can you merely send date proof pics to be paid? Is it a "take no prisoners" operation against the dogs?

Loki

Hiya John

Doesnt look like much would have a nose on that carcass even with a wet deer-hide - will your dogs leaving markers be the added to bring the Ferals in for a look-see?
Hope Hound is improving?

L

johngryphon

Fascinating stuff this, I am intrigued by the activity having seen a few of your trapping posts.
Who pays for the dogs that are dispatched? Do you have to take them in for money or can you merely send date proof pics to be paid? Is it a "take no prisoners" operation against the dogs?
The Victorian Gov pays the $120 per dog bounty.
We take them into a depot where pro dog trappers assess the scalps. A scalp is the full face mask and a continuous strip of skin at least 2"`s wide from nose to and including tail,it takes 90 seconds to de rug them.
I let them cool then double bag them and freeze until the monthly cash in comes around.
There are no prisoners in this war.

will your dogs leaving markers be the added to bring the Ferals in for a look-see?
as i wrote above Loki "so as to give the dogs freedom to ****/scent and show me if there is a reaction close to the cow. " **** = pi$$

You must read the words instead of gawking at the pics Loki ha ha.

Rory, FYI seeing as you are a self confessed keen man.

Terms and conditions of collecting the bounty | Fox and wild dog bounty | Pest animals | Pests, diseases and weeds | Agriculture | Agriculture Victoria

johngryphon

Doesnt look like much would have a nose on that carcass even with a wet deer-hide
Actually Loki there will be none of that cow hide left in six months,maybe a bit longer. They will eat every ****ing bit of it mate,only the biggest toughest bones get to be sun bleached where the dogs are.

Loki

Hi John

A bit of dribbling has to be allowed as your way, Down Under, for deer and the dogs is rather different to here!
Your photos, videos and descriptions take away the pains of routine for me.......many thanks!

L

bogtrotter

I am old enough to remember when the Government here paid a bounty on foxes (changed days) you just produced the tails at your local police station and were paid on spot from petty cash if they had enough in the kitty lol, ten shillings per tail or 50 pence in todays money but worth having at the time ,came to an end sometime in the 1960s if my momory serves me well.

johngryphon

Your photos, videos and descriptions take away the pains of routine for me.......many thanks!
I do know what you mean Loki....looking out of the window whether home or work and having the dream of 'being out there' has occurred plenty of times in my life also.

I am old enough to remember when the Government here paid a bounty on foxes
Same here bt,I cashed in fox scalps for 7/6 pence in pre decimal currency as a kid ...... The fox scalp is worth $10 AUD atm. 5.5 GBP`s in your dough.

potshotpat

Hi john, just asking but have you no Laws in Aussie regarding disposal of fallen stock? (Don't know if you have been asked this before). Over here it costs to have it collected and incinerated, which I can understand won't be practical for the vast acreages you have. Here at one time it would have been collected by the local hunt but i'm sure this practice has been mostly stopped. Regards psp.

johngryphon

psp I drag them to 'dead cow heaven' Thats the law here but if it was a problem a couple of tons of wood would soon cook her up. Generally I will take as much beef off them for the dogs as I can handle.

There is nothing offensive about that cow except a slight pong residue....our long hot summer dries them out as good as Tutankhamun.

There will be none of that cow left except major bones in six odd months,the dogs will see to that.