Dog training info

Dan Newcombe

Yes, that's without a doubt true but this guy is starting from the start and wants to gain an understanding of the process before he rushes in blindly and therefore its a good idea to read a book by someone who knows what they are doing.

How is he meant to learn to train his first dog? Your post there gives an alright overlay of how to do some of the parts, but it does not tell him how to get started and how to get the initial obedience in place - this is what he asked for not a woolly - praise the dog when it does things right and over time he will probably come good and figure it out.

I'm sure that he is planning to 'get boots on the ground' but if he know which way to go it will save him a lot of trampling about to find his way tot the final goal.

Rusty Gate

You don't need a book. It depends on what way your going to handle and hunt with the dog. In front of you ( at heal hunting) or on a tracking lead with collar or harness.
Your dogs prey drive and ability to take on board what you want too. The time you invest in its training. Obedience as well as hunting ( indicating before shot and tracking after shot). Run in and take down a deer or not if it gets up to run.
If you have access to deer now where you shoot or if it's just park deer get your dog onto them now. Let him see, wind and smell. Follow their tracks, slot markings in the ground to follow the smell omitted by their cleat glands. This scent is different to a deer that's shot and has run. It must know the difference between the scents. Let him follow winding the deer with head up. He will do it naturally in time.
Don't push the dog too hard. Praise the dog every time it does the correct thing as all it wants is to please you. It will know what you want then. Use a word to let it know what your hunting etc. I use ' buck' as a trigger word for my dog and it knows what we are both hunting, following etc.
Tip. I found a harness a bad training , work aid as it makes a dog lean into the harness and drive forward too fast and hard.
You and your dog will make mistakes but this is natural so keep training and best of luck.
Harness’s are a good intention & a waste of time! Mine pull’s like a train.

mereside

Harness’s are a good intention & a waste of time! Mine pull’s like a train.
The trouble is that the dog hasn't been slowed up at the begining, a collar on some breeds like a HS needs a harness if they keep tension they end up choking, they end up restricting the breathing, with a harness you can teach the dog to keep tension even when you stop, or when you reach obsticles the dog stays on the track till your ready to move on, usually in the early days the tracks been to easy and the dogs exitement speeds the dog up, the handler should control the speed of the track and then the dog soon learns to go at the correct speed, I have seen some exceptions to this rule but not many.
books are ok but it depends on a dog really and you need to be able to read the dog and correct any things that come up, a book cannot teach this and you will end up learning the hard way and possibly not being able to correct the mistakes have been made, you are far better going to somebody who knows what they are looking at and guiding,regards wayne

Last edited:

cervusnippon2013

Apologies I thought the OP had a gun dog already trained but was switching to deer etc.
I'm sure there's plenty of tips and advice on this site too.

Dan Newcombe

On the flip side Cervus you are correct in that judging the dog as you go is by far the best way. Too much reliance on books tends to lead to people moving at the wrong pace for the individual dog.

Lee.H

Pleased i have found this topic. Its a nightmare finding any links to book ect online.

Regards

Lee

I bought the deer dog blueprint from Paul Michaels big game indicating dog. My lab is now just over a year old and is very obedient. I have never trained a dog and found the blueprint invaluable. Whenever I am out and about i regularly get comments about how well behaved my dog is. She is steady when we are at the deer and is has helped me shoot and find a few already. I have introduced retrieving and she is improving all the time. Basically I can’t recommend the blueprint highly enough. I know it is expensive but if you follow the steps I think the results are definitely worth it.

James0586

I bought the deer dog blueprint from Paul Michaels big game indicating dog. My lab is now just over a year old and is very obedient. I have never trained a dog and found the blueprint invaluable. Whenever I am out and about i regularly get comments about how well behaved my dog is. She is steady when we are at the deer and is has helped me shoot and find a few already. I have introduced retrieving and she is improving all the time. Basically I can’t recommend the blueprint highly enough. I know it is expensive but if you follow the steps I think the results are definitely worth it.
How much are the videos?