Dogs and ground nesting birds

snowstorm

If you were to let a dog run around through the heather/undergrowth during the nesting season and it disturbed any ground nesting game birds, would they abandon the nest?

In my experience generally no. If they were a bit sharp and acually attempted to peg a nesting bird then that is a different matter.

This time of year it is not such a problem but earlier in the year when there is eggs or chicks the dogs instinct is to see it as a dinner supliment!!

Dave

Is this post in response to the New Forest National Park Authorities potential ban/exclusion of dogs from large areas and potentially the whole of the Forest.

Their reason the distubance of ground nesting birds by dogs.

Shame they didn't ban all the badgers, they will systematically work a hedge row taking all the eggs and chicks in a night. They do far more damage than a dog.

Best rgds

Tahr

Is this post in response to the New Forest National Park Authorities potential ban/exclusion of dogs from large areas and potentially the whole of the Forest.

Nope - it's my brother in law letting his mad spaniel run around my patch!

Heather

Due to the fact you mention heather this suggests to me you are talking about moorland, grouse are good parents and would go back to chicks if they could not fly.(provided the spaniel did not damage the chicks)
Pheasants are poor parents and may not collect all the chicks
hope this helps

There is a strong possibility that eggs or chicks will be predated by carrion crows or buzzards in these circumstances. Dogs should be kept under close control ie. on a lead in the nesting season. Please read the Access Code!

Back