dogs and kids what for the best??

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

adrian0100

Well-Known Member
Right ive just got off the phone to the vets my puppy collie rose has in the vets words the worst hip displaycia he has seen in a very long time ok I say! So options thousands in ops wich I cant justify on a 4 1/2 month old pup put her to sleep or leave for now and see how she gets on no the hard but telling the kids and having happy kids for a freinds wedding saturday and my wedding sunday or leave it for a week or do the deed and not tell them yet! Sorry ramberlings of a upset puppy owner but what would you do??
 

limulus

Well-Known Member
Give it a week.
Arrange for a n other collie puppy of same age or thereabouts to be at the vets for when you take yours and lie to the kids!
 

adrian0100

Well-Known Member
Good answer I have thought of this but the kids know rosie inside out and I dont know of any other collies withe her markings as she is black and white with white spots on her snout and front legs ow and all the other collies are males lol mmm hard to explain that one
 

Yorric

Well-Known Member
You can't protect your children from the world and the hurt that some things bring, so whatever you do, don't lie to them.
In my experience children are strong and can take most things IF they have things explained properly.

What is most important is the dog's wellbeing. Your feelings & those of your children are secondary.
If it is suffering, maybe it should be put down. If it isn't maybe it's your duty to give it a chance of some happyness.
An animal shouldn't be put down just because it is inconvenient to the owner.

I don't envy you your decision - Your turn to be strong.

​Ian
 

David T

Well-Known Member
You can't protect your children from the world and the hurt that some things bring, so whatever you do, don't lie to them.
In my experience children are strong and can take most things IF they have things explained properly.

What is most important is the dog's wellbeing. Your feelings & those of your children are secondary.
If it is suffering, maybe it should be put down. If it isn't maybe it's your duty to give it a chance of some happyness.
An animal shouldn't be put down just because it is inconvenient to the owner.

I don't envy you your decision - Your turn to be strong.

​Ian

+1. Yorric has hit the nail pretty much square on the head as far as I am concerned. If it's just to be a pet I would give it a chance. If you decide to put it to sleep tell the kids and tell them why, gently though. We've always given the kids the chance to say goodbye, both before the deed and after, as we feel it gives them closure.

D
 

sauer

Well-Known Member
as above ...guys got it right....

me personally would ask the vet for deadly open answer as to wether or not the pup is or will suffer.....if not then keep her but explain to the kids and treat the pup accordingly ....less exercise etc
if the pup is going to be ir is suffering any pain at all then ....explain to the kids and give em chance to say goodbye ....
not easy but its a lesson in life for them and maybe another similar pup will help....as will time to heal their grief.

basically it all boils down to wether or not the pup suffering..... kids feelings come 2nd ...that's not to say they get discarded.....just need to be gentle & honest

paul
 

limulus

Well-Known Member
I think a lot depends on the age and sensitivities of the children too. At the right age something like this can scar them for a long time.
 

adrian0100

Well-Known Member
I have nor would I ever allow my animals to suffer I understand what you guys are saying in regaurds to that but it would never get that far as for the kids their 6 and nearly 5 they know all about animals and what they see in the feilds on on the farm is what the eat so thats not a problam. Well the vet has said to give her a month on cartrophen and some pain killers with very short excersie breaks to see if she improves then its decisuon time so I have a 4 week reprive. So im off home to explain to the kids exactly what is happerning
 

craigievarkiller

Well-Known Member
Dogs welfare comes first ...... ALWAYS !
If suffering now then must be put to sleep without hesitation ....get the vets open and honest opinion.
If not suffering, then give it as pampered and happy life for as long as it isn't suffering.
Difficult times but you have to always think of the dog fist and your kids feelings second Im afraid

Good Luck
CVK
 
Last edited:

VSS

Well-Known Member
Tell the kids what's up. Tell them that its best to end the puppy's life. Then promise that they'll be helping to choose a replacement. Get it done soonest. Have plenty of family discussions about what the replacement puppy will look like / be called etc etc. Make it a real family thing.
 

Buchan

Well-Known Member
Sorry to hear about this, I presume there are some symptoms as 41/2 months is pretty young to be showing signs of HD (although I have seen it). Difficult to comment without knowing the case, but if she is a light build collie, you could consider having the femoral head removed and allowing a false joint to form. It's cheaper than hip replacement and may give good pain control for a while.
 

ajr

Well-Known Member
Right ive just got off the phone to the vets my puppy collie rose has in the vets words the worst hip displaycia he has seen in a very long time ok I say! So options thousands in ops wich I cant justify on a 4 1/2 month old pup put her to sleep or leave for now and see how she gets on no the hard but telling the kids and having happy kids for a freinds wedding saturday and my wedding sunday or leave it for a week or do the deed and not tell them yet! Sorry ramberlings of a upset puppy owner but what would you do??
One option, put your dog to sleep, tell your children that your dog has run off whilst out walking and someone must have liked the dog and given it a good home, pretend to look for the dog for a few weeks then purchase a new pup for your family ends with dog put out of its misery children upset for a few weeks but they think its being looked after by the new owners and you purchase a new pup of any breed.
 

nick100

Well-Known Member
Another side to it, how much trust do you have in your vet ?

The only reason I say this, I had a GSD xrayed, we saw a new vet at our practice who told us the hip score would be awful.

We were planning to breed, we were advised not to bother sending the x rays to the KC for scoring.
They were sent any way and came back with a good score, and that dog went on untill 12 yrs old with no probs.

Just another point of view.

​Hope it all works out for you.
 

adrian0100

Well-Known Member
Hi nick to be honest I have a healthy distrust for vet but I was shown the xrays so I can see that the socket that the ball joint fits into hasnt formed propperly around the ball infact their is almost no socket at all.

Buchan yeah her symtoms I noticed a week ago she started almost hobbling as if taken most of her weight on one back leg then swopping over to take the weight on the other so I rested her for 3 days still no signs of improvment so off to the vets we went! To be fair to the vet he did offer the operation you have mentioned but did also say that if I was going to continue to consider working her that a full replacement would be his choice but no matter what way I go she will get autheritic hips
 
Last edited:

Pedro

Well-Known Member
As a matter of principle, I wouldn't lie to the kids, for so many reasons. They are more resilient than we think, as has been said. If the main reason for having the dog is to work, then you need to think good and hard. I have to say I'd be tempted to keep the dog as a pet, or rehome it as a pet, obviously as long as it can have good quality of life. Not a good situation to be in, but I also firmly believe that if we take on a dog, we are responsible for that life and should do the best by it.

Not a clear cut choice here I feel, so I can only sympathise with you and suggest you look at all the options and make your decision. Once made, stick with it, nothing to be gained by doubting yourself afterwards.
 

adrian0100

Well-Known Member
Pedro I agree I will not lie to my kids as I wont allow rose to suffer but I have spoken to the kids tonight and explained everything the vet has told me and even drawn them pictures to explain about the joint as in what they should be like and what roses are like from what the vet showed me on the xrays im trying to make the best out of a **** situation for all concerned rose has a 4 week course of jabs as per vets recurmendation and pain control and total rest to see if she improves if this dosnt work then it will be a decision by all of us as a family about whats best for rose!! that is made and stuck to im not happy with rehoming her as I feel that would be passing the problam on and not taking responsibility for my dog and thats not fair even with full disclosure to a possible new home
 

Jagare

Well-Known Member
You can't protect your children from the world and the hurt that some things bring, so whatever you do, don't lie to them.
In my experience children are strong and can take most things IF they have things explained properly.

What is most important is the dog's wellbeing. Your feelings & those of your children are secondary.
If it is suffering, maybe it should be put down. If it isn't maybe it's your duty to give it a chance of some happyness.
An animal shouldn't be put down just because it is inconvenient to the owner.

I don't envy you your decision - Your turn to be strong.

​Ian

+1 If it comes to getting another pup make sure you get one from hip scored parents. Saves a lot of heart break
 
Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!
Top