Dogs Chasing Deer

devilishdave

I am after a bit of advice, today I came accross a rather well healed gent allowing his pointer and lab to chase deer adjacent to a public right of way. What I am after is axactly what laws he has broken by allowing his dogs off of the right of way, not having the dog under control and allowing his dogs to chase the deer?

He told me when confronted that is the way he exercises his dog and seamed shocked that I took exception to it!!
Any pointers or links to the laws he has contravened would be much appreciated

Dave

stalkinginengland

The first point is that a dog should be under close control or on a lead. Close control is at heal or very close. I have it written down somewhere but the dangerous dogs comes into it dogs at large and alsorts. A dog must not be allowed to chase farm stock or wild animals and then there is the hunting act. Is he allowing the dog to hunt deer. If he dose it is intent to hunt and that comes under the hunting act. There are more but if you google it you will find out. The hunting act is the big one.

That all said WHAT A TWAT. I relish catching those sort.

Regards

Mark

devilishdave

He was not sneeking up to the deer and slipping the dog on them like the lurcher boys might but he was letting the dogs chase the deer and was watching them do so. He made no effort to try to call the dog off.

Dave

stalkinginengland

In the eyes of the law as he was making no attempt to stop them he must have been with intent, he allowed them to hunt them. If a hunts mans hounds hunt a fox he has to show that he did what he could to stop them and that it was an accident and that he had no intent to hunt it. Anything else by defintion must be intent surely.

Anyway he was still allow the dog to be out of control so he was contraviening other laws anyway. If you dont get some answers soon I will make a point of looking up the act.

Regards

Mark

swarovski

i was stalking smorning,was eding closer to this roe doe and the farmer came bombing through on his quad and chased it across the field as he was heading to where his sheep were,i watched him undo gate,drive in,he went all around the edge and checked his fence,had a look at sheep and drove off the way i was planning on heading :doh:,i saw where doe went into the hedge,didnt see where she went after,waited for him to go then headed that way,i am buggered when i got to where doe ran into the hedge she was still in there and ran off out of site.

roedeerred

North Yorkshire police have some good officers in their wildlife crime dept ring 101 and ask for the officer on duty let them know when and where they will attend. Also rspca inspector Jeoff Edmond is well versed in this and will use what influance he can to promote any prosicution,they may not always recieve good press but if you get hold of the right people you can get it stopped.what part of N. Yorks are you its a big area.
G

trouble

i was stalking smorning,was eding closer to this roe doe and the farmer came bombing through on his quad and chased it across the field as he was heading to where his sheep were,i watched him undo gate,drive in,he went all around the edge and checked his fence,had a look at sheep and drove off the way i was planning on heading :doh:,i saw where doe went into the hedge,didnt see where she went after,waited for him to go then headed that way,i am buggered when i got to where doe ran into the hedge she was still in there and ran off out of site.
thing is , their use to him doing it every day arent they

timbrayford

I am after a bit of advice, today I came accross a rather well healed gent allowing his pointer and lab to chase deer adjacent to a public right of way. What I am after is axactly what laws he has broken by allowing his dogs off of the right of way, not having the dog under control and allowing his dogs to chase the deer?

He told me when confronted that is the way he exercises his dog and seamed shocked that I took exception to it!!
Any pointers or links to the laws he has contravened would be much appreciated

Dave
If all else fails threaten him with the RSPCA ( a well known group of charitable busybodies), hopefully they will both keep themselves mutually employed and leave you and your deer in peace

Taff

Problem you have is he broke no laws, that the police would be interested in , he would have to have more than two dogs to break the hunting act, deer are not covered by livestock so you cannot shoot his dogs, you may accuse him of poaching as the fact he let his dogs chase the deer is a attempt to catch one.

shortshot

In practicable terms you have no legal respite, you either have too "chill and ignore" or let it bug you and figure out ways of deterring him using this ROW for dog walking.
Much the best route is too stay cool, polite and stalk elsewhere; worry and stress of such disputes escalating just aren't worthwhile unless your an owner/occupier of the land.

Brithunter

Find your local LACS and se t them upon him, They won't care if he has broken any laws or not they will just see it as a man with dogs hunting deer. Let them do all the work.

kieran222

I would video the dog chasing the deer and let him see you doing so. Then tell him that you will report him under the "??? act" (fill in the blank) if he does it again. As he was obviously so ignorant about what he was doing it might put him off.

swarovski

walkers are no different,they roam everywhere bar the footpaths,ive had mountain bikers ride across in front of me,i have no dog but if i did i wouldnt keep it on a lead across the fields,everybody lets their dogs have a run around right or wrong,the dogs are not to blame,its just fun for them to chase after bambi

Rake Aboot

Find your local LACS and se t them upon him, They won't care if he has broken any laws or not they will just see it as a man with dogs hunting deer. Let them do all the work.
Please tell me yer tongue was firmly planted in yer cheeck there !!