Dogs in the back of Pickup trucks.

K333ROE

I have travelled with my dogs in the back of my pickup truck since I could drive. So do the farmers and shepherds with their collies as there is often 2 shepherds and several dogs on big estates. I often have a passenger and travel with my dogs in the back.
Question:-Is this legal as a friend was told he should travel with his collies in the front or he would be breaking the law.
Is this true ? (Scotland by the way)

i take it you are driving with an uncovered back
from what i understand you are driving with out due care and attention as you do not have the animal securely fastened or enclosed, which could jump off at any moment and cause an accident or injury to the animal in question
and if some one was to be picky you are also on the verge of animal cruelty
as no animal should be subjected to any unessecary suffering
eg winds upto 40 miles an hour this is what they endure in the back of the pick up
hope this helps
the other point here is sit your mate in the back of the truck and see how he fares :lol:

stone said:
i take it you are driving with an uncovered back
from what i understand you are driving with out due care and attention as you do not have the animal securely fastened or enclosed, which could jump off at any moment and cause an accident or injury to the animal in question
and if some one was to be picky you are also on the verge of animal cruelty
as no animal should be subjected to any unessecary suffering
eg winds upto 40 miles an hour this is what they endure in the back of the pick up
hope this helps
the other point here is sit your mate in the back of the truck and see how he fares :lol:
Yes uncovered, and the dogs can't get in quick enough, they put their heads round the cab and love the wind in their faces, we never travel at any speed. However I take onboard what you are saying although those dogs are highly trained and live outside and never attempt to leave the truck unless invited the same goes for my farming friends. You don't want to travel in a pickup truck with 2 collies after working sheep all afternoon. I just wanted to know if it was legal or not to have dogs loose in the back of our trucks, a think we have always done. Thanks for your answer anyway.
Regards

A friend of mine got pulled by the old bill for having his dogs loose in the back of a Mule on the public highway , he was told they had to be in a box or secured with a lead , and if the guy saw him with the dogs loose again he would be booked , I would be wary about putting them on a lead that would allow them to get over the edge of a vehicle in case one jumped over and hung itself. JC

Got a reply from BASC and it seems my dogs would be classed as an "insecure" load, end of story.

Further to the above, I have been told by a haulage contractor friend of mine that you can only be charged with having an insecure load if and when it falls of. He had a car move and break the straps break, he was charged with having an insecure load, it was thrown out in court after the above argument by his solicitor.
Just for information only

I would think that your friend is thanking his lucky stars that the prosecution did not fight the decision. A load cannot fall off a vehicle unless it is insecure, the offence is having an insecure load, not having an insecure load that fell off. Just don't seem right to me. I think I would prefer to be guided by the BASC legal department.

John

If the dogs are not secured you are braking the law and you are also showing a disregard for public safety. Just get a collar on them and have done with it. ;)

dogs

This is a tough one the offence is that of having an "insecure load"
but i have never heard of the police Police prosecuting unless something has left the confines of the vehicle.
my dog is always in a cage even inside the car to stop him pacing
about and that way i concentrateon the road and not on him
J J

Back