Dogs killing sheep

Sauer 100 Stainless XTA - Discover Now >>>

boltgun

Yes totally understand - and sadly those types tend to want revenge - burn your barns down. Unfortunately Police Scotland have minimal interest in dealing with such types. Surprising because in one night they could meet all their targets for criminal prosecutions for the month.
yes, that says it all, nail on head mostly dangerous people, but oddly in recent situation do not think person involved had any interest in poaching or the like and was co operative offering to pay damages, but time will tell. Main point, bull crosses have a very serious side to their nature once the bell rings!

Twodogs

From my readings the defence of shooting a dog to protect livestock is only available in a civil action and not in criminal proceedings.

If this is incorrect please direct me to the relevant legislation.

timbrayford

Does anyone know current legal position on shooting dogs involved in this, not had to do so for long time and had no problem when I did , don’t know if any changes, but may have to do so in future
As a last resort you can, plod will be ok about it but expect all manner of sh*t from the animal rights brigade!
ps keep plod informed that you are having a problem beforehand.

Donk1

I had too ask this question about 2 months ago fao told me shoot it report it ASAP job done , not the best thing too have too do but farmers are businessmen and women and a dead sheep is profit down the drain

boltgun

Bull x lurchers are no different from anything else. Same mentality just built different.

Seems in this case a pet has done it and owners had admitted liability so I'm sure dog men had nothing to do with
It’s not good to pick on other lads pastimes to demonise a few good lads .Our own sport is not without knackers and time wasters ,wrong uns and weirdos 🤭

Some of my must trusted and long standing friends of forty years standing work and keep running dogs of different stamps and have the trust of many land owners and I enjoying seeing them work both now and prior to hunting ban. One was present at incident described. To avoid any doubt I refer to people who trespass with dogs mostly at night, with lamps, who kill both deer and hares also those who dig badgers by night. Bull crosses were and are breed for a reason which is fine by me. I stand by all said earlier, I get to shoot numerous roe requested by land owners to make areas unattractive to people who poach using lurchers, cut fences and waste valuble police time.

boltgun

Bull x lurchers are no different from anything else. Same mentality just built different.

Seems in this case a pet has done it and owners had admitted liability so I'm sure dog men had nothing to do with this.
Please define dog men within context to avoid doubt, incident in question 10.30 pm, dog owner 300 yards from public footpath, alcohol on breath. Sheep killed 700 yards or so from foot path. Spotted using thermal imaging and approached on been questioned was looking for lost dog. Dog and sheep found police called. Time will tell if dog owner has criminal record as private enquiries been made. Do not know as yet if police will prosecute.

VSS

It’s not good to pick on other lads pastimes to demonise a few good lads .Our own sport is not without knackers and time wasters ,wrong uns and weirdos 🤭

Do you know any of the above that are on this site? Please name......
I'm sure that other site members often label me as a weirdo :rolleyes:

(Ever since I confessed to having a beard, rolling my own cigarettes, wearing socks with my sandals and shooting an unmoderated 270)

boltgun

nothing wrong with all above in my book vss, but can fully understand how some struggle with these attributes and to be expected,no pain, zero gain and we must suffer for style. 😀👍 ps considering stalking wearing boots and thong next summer, no socks.😎👍😀

boltgun

Not “picking” uptonogood all legal pastimes fine. Yes there are in these parts a very few good lads with permission, the vast majority do not and known to the police, in addition the majority of land owners I talk to have very negative attitudes to running dogs of any stamp, and their owners through personal loss and experience. Maybe things are different in Somerset, I hope they are. Also to be clear I enjoy and appreciate all working dogs including running dogs of all types used responsibly and within the law.

New Avon Arms