Doing the rounds,took a stag home

John Gryphon

All is not what it seems though.

The dogs and I went to the bottom end of the joint this morning,a quick trip of 2 k`s and we had actually passed the bedded stag on the dry side above us by 200 yards, of course not knowing he was there. Two k`s back I took a different route through the dry side on a farm track with the dogs hunting about. I looked down and saw a familiar colour with "wtf is that,it looks like deer hide" it was perhaps 200 yards down the hill.
I put the scope on it (no bino`s with me) and under the tree canopy with only fair light it was enough for me to back up the Kubota a little for a different angle with the scope wound up to 10x..yes its a velvet stag,a mongrel head,he will be fat and do as a larder job,this isn't a dog tucker model!
As the hill was quite steep and he as deer do routinely was standing behind trees with only a glimpse of shoulder I placed the crosshairs on him,allowed a couple of downhill inches and rolled him on the spot.
Well EFF me, it was soon evident as I got nearer that he was in a bad way. A bloody bristly skeleton laying and as poor as a church mouse and was simply a wasted stag that more than likely had been the recipient of another clowns bullet. Suspects live close by.

First off there was no stalk,no hunt and definitely no big deal BUT there was complete satisfaction that such a stag`s terrible times had come to an end for his sake.
My pups of course gained from his demise as they were exposed to another 7mm bang and soon caught the excitement of the adult dogs in "finding" the deer.

A bloody shame to see animals like this,especially game animals.

poor%20bull%201_zpstfbra2mz.jpg

poor%20bull%202_zps4aaxlsg0.jpg

Last edited:

tozzybum

Nothing worse than being on the end of someone else,s bad mistake but youve ended his suffering John so fair play and no doubt the drongo that caused the suffering is oblivious to what he,s done and sleeps well as only a mongrel can

stalker.308

Yes I am glad that the suffering has ended for the deer. I wonder wtf the greenies would have done.

Ha, yes, my woodcock shoot has some greenies over the boundary, we were told under no circumstances could we, or a dog, follow up a bird on their ground........ any wounded birds would be taken to the vet for medical intervention, dead birds woud be cremated followed by an appropriate burial and service.......

John Gryphon

Ha, yes, my woodcock shoot has some greenies over the boundary, we were told under no circumstances could we, or a dog, follow up a bird on their ground........ any wounded birds would be taken to the vet for medical intervention, dead birds would be cremated followed by an appropriate burial and service.......

They would need a lot of wood to cremate a Sambar stag ha ha...even a wasted one!