dragging on flat, boggy ground. How??

+1. Or don't shoot. Merry Christmas JCS

Out of budget apparently. Got to admit, you either need a big wallet or somewhere, and the know how, to rebuild one. I ain't got the big wallet, I do however (luckily) have the premises and gear to rebuild.

I'm not entirely sure the winch would work with 1 person, but u'd be as well just putting ur long rope on the back of ur quad and pulling it that way save u buying a winch at all.
Never seen a winch with a decent remote control, most only allow u to drive ur motor and winch, not be a long distance away

Ur big problem will be strech of the rope, hanks (a cone may help, hieght probably won't because of the massive distances ur talking about will never get rope high enough) and rope management at both ends, 00's of m's of rope takes a lot of handling

To be honest. Ur probably as well just maning up and lifting dragging with a rope (try and get front end of deck) by the time u've walked 1000m back to motor to pick up sled or rope to attach to winch u would have the deer dragged a bit neare ur motor. And any hanks/snags on a winched set up u could be back and forward quite a bit depending on how likely it wouldget snagged. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Random idea if u stalked with 2 heavy duty sticks would an old red indian style 'dragger' be any easier??

You may be right. I've no first hand experience of this but know a chap who uses it for extracting red deer and it seems to work for him, he is using the BT surplus stuff, so I know it is possible to make it work in some fashion.
It was extracting a big red stag that caused it to snap, doubled up it worked fine.
Attached it to my towing ball and drove away, worked a treat.
Cheers
Richard

I know its more kit but have a look at this: [h=1]Mudderboot.com
Boot1-Sm.jpg
[/h]also a good small tarp might help,

I used mine for the first time to help a mate bring a stag out of forestry. we slid/dragged it down a drainage ditch and it ran very well.

We then carried it the last little bit to the truck. The bath is very easy to load into the truck with the carcase in it too.

it would benefit from attaching a drag rope but not sure how the material would cope.

Wouldn't / doesn't the flat front and sharp corner dig in, making it hard to pull?

Used to hunt an actual southern swamp. Great success on deer, but hell to get them out.

settled on a child's plastic roll up sled. About 1/16" thick plastic that was 18"x36". Rolled up, and had a pair of holes to attach a rope handle at one end. Could roll the entire thing and stuff into your pack.

when needed, unroll, lay deer on it, tied rope to deer head and handle, drag.

it did not work perfectly, the deer would slide off sometimes. In hindsight a couple more holes halfway down and at the end would have allowed lacing up. Instead, I started hunting closer to the road.

I have. They are very tough and effective drag sleds for bigger deer. I have extracted red hinds and smaller stags and fallow with them strapped in to the sled over clear fell. It's still very hard work but made a lot easier with this sled and also keeps the carcass in much better condition. The sled is also very tough, i can't imagine it would wear out unless it is given huge amounts of use over stony ground.

Last edited:
Just thinking, these dead sleds are just a flat sheet of HDPE with straps / ties on. The blue 205ltr drums also happen to be HDPE, so do the bulk liquid containers. I'm sure one of those, a jigsaw and some rope would solve the problem cheaply and quickly :thumb:

Now you've got me thinking. When i pick up the blue barrels for my boar feeders I've seen blue barrels that are taller and have two flat sides. Cut in half and with some sort of attachment they will be ideal for dragging back the bigger boar behind my quad.

Problem with the likes of a portable capstan winch is you need something to anchor it to. On ground that is really soft the chances are you'll pull out whatever you anchor to

Al

Now you've got me thinking. When i pick up the blue barrels for my boar feeders I've seen blue barrels that are taller and have two flat sides. Cut in half and with some sort of attachment they will be ideal for dragging back the bigger boar behind my quad.

As I said in an earlier post, they're hdpe, same material as other sleds. Cut out the shape you want and flatten / shape it with a hot air gun or electric fire.
We have to do a fair bit of reshaping usually when we rebuild an Argo. You warm it up until it's just soft, easy way to tell is tap it with a screwdriver handle or similar, when the sharp "tap" turns to a soft / dull "thud" it's hot enough. Lay it on something flat with a board on top and it cools perfectly flat.

A good sized handle on the rope helps a lot if its too thick you waste a lot of energy just gripping it , too narrow like just rope it hurts your hand , we drag hinds quite often more than a mile usually using two proper drag handles , if the client is willing to help that is ,if not we go for thisView attachment 50732

Thanks for all the replies folks - some really useful and practical suggestions.

I think a sheet of lorry curtain or similar will be my first attempted solution. And some gym time. And more codeine (bad back doesn't help...).

Last edited:
As I said in an earlier post, they're hdpe, same material as other sleds. Cut out the shape you want and flatten / shape it with a hot air gun or electric fire.
We have to do a fair bit of reshaping usually when we rebuild an Argo. You warm it up until it's just soft, easy way to tell is tap it with a screwdriver handle or similar, when the sharp "tap" turns to a soft / dull "thud" it's hot enough. Lay it on something flat with a board on top and it cools perfectly flat.

Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day:thumb:. I'll give it a go when the weather is warmer.

Back