Drink Driving Insurance??

Hi all , without going into the whys and wherefores my son has just got his license back after a ban for drink driving. He admits being a right idiot and hope he has learned his lesson luckily without harming anyone. Can anyone who has been in a similar situation give advice on the best strategy or company for insurance. Any help much appreciated , by all means pm me.

Many thanks George

My son went through the same thing after being caught the morning after, Just over the limit but still a years ban. He did a three day drink/drive awareness course that meant he got his license back after nine months and insurance companies look on this favourably, still pays a hefty premium but could of been a lot more.
One thing is, he now counts everyone’s units when out drinking and tells you to the nearest half hour when you will be legal to drive !

I believe that you can get discounts from the insurance companies for numerous things eg the course mentioned, adding a 'back box' offering a driving curfew. However do be honest with them. If you are not and you get caught, the insurance is void from inception and you could be looking at 'no insurance' and fraud offences.

kenbro

My son went through the same thing after being caught the morning after, Just over the limit but still a years ban. He did a three day drink/drive awareness course that meant he got his license back after nine months and insurance companies look on this favourably, still pays a hefty premium but could of been a lot more.
One thing is, he now counts everyone’s units when out drinking and tells you to the nearest half hour when you will be legal to drive !
Bet he’s popular at parties.
Ken.

Add him to your insurance as a second driver.
The only strategy is to be honest. Fully honest. And maybe try the small independent brokers. The "big boys" don't like risk.

But allunderwriters will expect the lead driver, the policyholder, to be the main driver. They'll also ask a series of questions about any named driver.

Apart from their name, place where they live and date of birth and occupation and what type of licence they hold and for how long they'll ask these five questions about the additional driver:

Any accidents or claims including windscreen claims in the last five years, regardless of who was at fault, or whether a claim was made or not?
Have they ever had any insurance policy declined, cancelled or voided in the last five years?
Any motoring related endorsements, convictions or disqualifications in the last five years?
Any non-motoring convictions in the last five years?
Any DVLA notifiable medical conditions, or other medical conditions that may affect the premium?

That last might include alcoholism. But if you answer "YES" to any they'll ask for further details. I apologise if it's grim. Likely they'll then maybe ask you to wait whilst they directly contact the underwriters as the input screen will usually flag up as "REFER".

And in truth I would expect with the "big boys" the ones that advertise on the TV that he would be either declined (the most likely outcome) or an additional premium on your policy if he's added as a named driver of at least eight hundred to a thousand pounds without even taking into consideration his length of holding a licence or occupation. Sorry that it isn't good news. I hope I'm incorrect but I guess it will give you an idea of what's to come.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, been hitting the computer and been honest and up front he will be the main driver so he is the insured, didn't want him to be a named driver because if he has an accident it's my insurance that will get knackered! Now considering he is 20 with an SP30 , a DR10 and a no fault accident best quote so far £1333 fully comp on a little Polo which TBH I am quite pleased with.
What was surprising was how much effect the accident had even though he was rear ended by an idiot who admitted responsability etc this put hundreds of pounds on all the quotes I had almost as much as the drink driving which seems crazy.

Thanks guys, been hitting the computer and been honest and up front he will be the main driver so he is the insured, didn't want him to be a named driver because if he has an accident it's my insurance that will get knackered! Now considering he is 20 with an SP30 , a DR10 and a no fault accident best quote so far £1333 fully comp on a little Polo which TBH I am quite pleased with.
What was surprising was how much effect the accident had even though he was rear ended by an idiot who admitted responsability etc this put hundreds of pounds on all the quotes I had almost as much as the drink driving which seems crazy.
Try adding yourself as a named driver.
My son got his premium down by adding both his mum and myself. Same applied with younger sons insurance (he hasn’t a ban though).

im afraid its going to be a nightmare to get a decent cheap quote with a fresh dr10 on your licence!not to mention a non fault and sp30.being that I know a bit about this having been a naughty boy in my teenage years!I just had to pay the high premium as I needed to start somewhere and get my no claims going and yes it eventually came to back to normal.but one way of getting it a bit cheaper is to add mum and dad to his policy as named drivers that should take it down a bit for him!plus if he's a good boy and docent have anymore problems driving he docent have to declare his dr10 after 5 years to insurance companies so it will be back to normal!and the dr10 will be off his licence after 10 years!

When a named driver is added as well as the questions I've already mentioned they'll ask how often that named driver will be using the vehicle. That might be on a daily basis, or frequent use, or infrequent use or, oddly "not at all".

They'll also ask for what the named driver will use it for. Usually that won't be allowed to be a greater risk than the risk that the policyholder is insured for. Unless the policyholder is a spouse. So if the policyholder has social and domestic excluding commuting the named driver usually won't be allowed social domestic and pleasure including commuting.

They'll also ask if the named driver has access to other vehicles and if that is as the owner of the other vehicle, a named driver on that other vehicle's policy, or if that other vehicle is a company car, or if not to to other vehicles but to a motorcycle, or if they've no access to any other vehicles.

If therefore a much older named driver is added to the policy of a younger driver there's no problem with that. It is the reality that sometimes, even if only to move them off the drive whilst we park our own vehicle, we have to drive our kids' cars. Infrequent use. There'll be no issue at all.

But if a much older named driver is added to the policy of a younger driver and that older named driver's frequency of use is noted as daily use (or frequent use) yet that older named driver has access to other vehicles as the owner of other vehicles (if that other vehicle is their own privately owned car) the two combined together with the DR10 element plus if the policyholder's vehicle is an more than seven or eight years old it will raise concerns of quote manipulation or in worst case "fronting".

That may void the policy but unfortunately you'll all too often only discover that if there's then a claim and the underwriters then seek to refuse to pay on those grounds.

Again my apologies that it's grim but there it is.

Last edited:
to put it into perspective, 40 years ago as an 18 year old driver with 3 endorsements (on same occasion for speed no l plates and unauthorised passenger). while earning 40 quid a week, i got a quote to see if i could afford to buy my dads MGB GT that he was selling......... at 750 3rd partyF&T it was a bit steep............ could almost buy a flat hoop north for that then!
:)

kenbro

I would get the cheapest possible cover and not even think about conditions applied.
Then, be extra vigilant and careful when driving.
Always pays to think for every other driver besides yourself.
JMO.
Ken.

be open with the insurance companies as they exchange information ..so if you tell porkies to say for example Direct Line then ask for a quote from Swinton and you tell Swinton different info ....they will be able to tell that you are not being truthful. The insurance will no doubt be very expensive as your son has just got his licence back..I would suggest that he opts for a black box type restrictive insurance policy and then he tries to obtain as many driving qualifications as possible --- Search the internet for driving courses / schemes which he can then use in order to obtain future discounts on insurance....Get a small / bog standard car with no fancy audio equipment, park it in a garage and get an immobiliser ...These are things that insurance companies like.

Best of luck but expect a four figure quote..

My son got caught drink driving many years ago.Went on a course at the end of it he was given a book/pamphlet that had a insurance companies that were willing to give cover. Turned out he got a better deal than what he could before his ban.