Driven boar scope

Boarboy

I'm having a sort out of some gear, looking into another scope too. I was just wondering if a 2.5-10 x 56 scope or 2-12 x 50 would be ok for driven hunting, and how others fair with these allrounders, or should I do the "proper" thing and look into a 1-4 or 1-6 power. I'm trying to get away with one scope for everything. I tend to do one boar trip a year, so you could argue its not a regular thing, but equally want to make sure I'm all set up right for the occasion. Thanks!

TonyC

I used my swaro 2.5x15 x 56 wound down for my last trip and it was fine, I also have a 1.5x4.5 x 20 that I used and there isn't a great deal of difference, what I really recommend is that whatever scope you use make sure it is illuminated - red dot is essential in my book.

EMcC

Hi Dan,
I have a Swaro 1.2 - 6 x 24 illuminated and find that set on 6 is as good as it gets for normal stalking at the usual ranges that UK Deer are shot over.
Set on 1.2 is ideal but anything up to 3 gives as much field of view to make it good enough for Driven Boar.
I have known several guys use their usual 2-12 x 56 scope kranked down to 2 and managed quite well with that, the only thing is, in my view, being such a large 'scope could prove a bit cumbersome for swinging onto the target, but then maybe I am a cissy ;)
As Tony has already said the illuminated dot is 'almost' essential but I have known the odd one or two manage without it.
Geof glad to hear you are pleased with the Leupold ;)

Last edited:

Somerset

A question to those with experience in these things: In practice, in the field, how do these scopes compare with red dot sights?

Boarboy

Thanks for the replies. Ive had the leupold firedot before, and the 1.5-6 x42 schmidt (non illuminated). I just wanted to see if an allrounder type would do just that, I think best thing is to go out and have a look down a couple of 2-12s.

Conor1

A question to those with experience in these things: In practice, in the field, how do these scopes compare with red dot sights?
I tried Aimpoints and both Zeiss Red Dot Sights, the Compact and the Z Point. They are not a patch on my Swaro Z6i 1-6x24. For me field of view is everything. An illuminated reticle comes second.

McKenzie

I'd also have a look at the Swarovski 1.7-10x42. The non-illuminated should be fine for this & is about perfect for woodland stalking.

Boarboy

I'd also have a look at the Swarovski 1.7-10x42. The non-illuminated should be fine for this & is about perfect for woodland stalking.
Hi, yes, the new swarovskis 1.7-10 and 2-12 had caught my eye initially. I wouldn't of thought there was much difference between 1.7 and 2?

Boarboy

I tried Aimpoints and both Zeiss Red Dot Sights, the Compact and the Z Point. They are not a patch on my Swaro Z6i 1-6x24. For me field of view is everything. An illuminated reticle comes second.
Ive got an aimpoint too. Ive only used it once and feel the same, it takes some getting used to. I guess its down to personal choice at the end and what your used to.

Paul 600

Strange that that the field of view could be less considering you keep both eyes open with the aimpont and ZEISS red dot sights.

Conor1

Strange that that the field of view could be less considering you keep both eyes open with the aimpont and ZEISS red dot sights.
I keep both eyes open with the Z6i as well. The field of view is much wider with the Z61 so at any given distance you can see more with it.

Paul 600

I keep both eyes open with the Z6i as well. The field of view is much wider with the Z61 so at any given distance you can see more with it.
Conor, with both eyes open you can roughly see from the 10 o'clock position to 2 o'clock. How can having an optical device in the middle of your view increase the field of view?

You ou can actually cover the objective lense of an aimpoint and still see the dot that your brain will super impose on your target as you swing through.

jthyttin

Aimpoint can cover a lot of your FOV. It also eats a lot of light compared to quality scope.

That said, they're a lot cheaper than similar quality low mag scope. And a scope can be adjusted to be 1x for only a specific distance, because your sighting eye will get a picture roughly 30cm (eye relief plus scope length) closer to the target than other eye. This is fortunately a minor point.

That super-imposing trick works quite poorly, if you want to hit anything at reasonable distance (say a piglet at 50m).

If I'm serious about drive hunt, I use red dot (mostly Aimpoints) or 1x low mag scope. In prepared environment (like drive hunt in those films you see at youtube etc.) a regular scope could be fine, or even desirable. I hunt at "real" environment where there's a lot of vegetation etc. and window of opportunity for detection, identification and finally shot is very short.

Conor1

Conor, with both eyes open you can roughly see from the 10 o'clock position to 2 o'clock. How can having an optical device in the middle of your view increase the field of view?

You ou can actually cover the objective lense of an aimpoint and still see the dot that your brain will super impose on your target as you swing through.
What I said was, was that I see more with the Z6i than I can with a red dot/reflex type sight. I never said that a scope enhances or increases my field of view. Rather, for my eyes the Z6i is better. Similarly, I also do a little practical shooting and if the Swaro was up to it, I would gladly use it instead of an Eotech/Reflex sight.

Shootgun

I bought the Zeiss V8 with wild boar in mind, at 1.8 magnification and 23m/100m field of view, should be bang on...

reiver

I have a Leupould 1.25-4 x20 vxr Fire dot on my .444M
:) along with a Bushnell red dot sight for my 9.3mm o/u for driven Boar shooting .
I have also had good results with open sights too,the trick is to practice with whatever sight you go with be for you go at ranges from 3 meters to 100meters simples.
long shots on a driven hunt will be around 100 meters as a rule unless you are on open ground and are shooting behind or on the flanks.

Bob