Driven Boar - tips

Boghossian

Hi fellas
I am going to Croatia for 5 days of driven boar shooting, first time going after driven big game and any tips are welcome!

I am taking my 270 with 150 grain bullets, perhaps not the ideal boar rifle but I am most familiar with this rifle...

Cheers

Gabriel

good luck
croatia is the most friendly place I have ever visited,

been 3 times now.

dont forget you need an export licence for the gun.

are you driving or flying?

Hi G.

I have a red dot sight (1" tube) you may wish to consider using. For driven game it really shines (pun intended!)

It is very fast to employ - you have an excellent sight picture - basically just a 'floating' dot, out there at the same range as the target.

As a rifle shooter, I tend to stop the rifle when the scope is correctly aligned - not good on running game. The lack of a defined cross hair in a red dot sight tends to make me swing the rifle with the moving target.

It works! :lol:

Brace.jpg

Rgds Ian

i am going to Croatia for 5 days on the 3rd Jan aswell probably will meet you guys taking my Blaser R93 in 308 with 3-12x50 illuminated swarovski and a 180 grain bullet

Good stuff, I am going with Artemis Hunting. Hope to see you guys there!

EMcC, nice hat!

I believe the outfitter is taking care of licences, you only need a European Firearms Pass on this end to leave Britain.

Hope it goes well!

You don't even need a European pass for this country, you need your UK Firearms Certificate and they will issue you with a Hunting Licence valid for a year based on that.
See you at HR, I'll be the one sat at one of the benches outside Terminal 2 at 8'O'Clock having my breakfast!!
Forgot to add, and of course it's the Firearm serial No from UK FC that is recorded on the way out, again, not interested in Euro Pass.
PS don't forget a torch, it is normally dark by the time we leave the shooting area and it always is on the way to it - early morning start!!

Cool, I am pumped.

I will be the one in the camo outfit with too much ammo...

Did you find that the police take away any extra ammunition, over the 25 round limit?

I was told that this rule it is not always enforced.

never been before and getting real excited.sorry about pm EMcC a bit green on computers dont know how to look at it ,takes me all my time just to type this.Boghossian i asked about the ammo and it seems you can take"5kg of securely boxed ammo per passenger".I am taking 50 rounds and hoping for the best but have been told we can get more out there if needed

EMcC i take it youve been before, hope the hat is coming this time as well see you guys in Heathrow soon

Blimey Moose, 50 rds!!! I always take at least 40 and bring most of them back !!, I take mine in the cardboard carton in my hold luggage.
It's not like Pheasant shooting with a ratio of 2 or 3 to 1. Most shots account for a pig so if you get more than half a dozen you are the lucky one!
I went on a trip once with forty rounds and only fired one! but it was a reasonable one, 94kg so I was well satisfied.
I pm'd you both my mobile so we could have a chat before, but never mind, we'll recognise each other at Heathrow, the funny shaped luggage gives us away.
Not long now, see ya.

hi guys
are you all back yet safe and sound :confused:
how was the trip :confused:
was it worth the money :confused:
only after information
many regards stone

Hi Stone,
Well it was a bit of a funny situation.
When I got to Heathrow I found that two of us had booked direct and paid for three days shooting and TWENTY others had paid the same price for five days!
The first downside that I could foresee before we got there was the number of guns!
It takes too long, and with that many guns, too much noise, to get in position, so the only pigs left to be pushed to us were either motherless piglets or one or two old boys, deaf or too confident to be bothered, either way not very promising.

During the three days I was there, twenty one pigs were accounted for with two in particular being real big 'tuskers' the rest were, as predicted, piglets.

Large numbers of guns can cover a bigger 'frontage' and be successful but the terrain and transport has to be suitable, well organised and run smoothly but unfortunately that is not always the case, as in this instance.

Some lads had quite a serious hike to get in position and while that was happening the others already in position had a long cold wait before anything happened, if at all.

If it hadn't been for the good company I would not have enjoyed myself at all.

Stand by for further reports when Moose and Boghessian return, they stayed on and moved to a 'Better Place' so hopefully they had more luck.

Well replied. I can sense the disapointment, but "the company" pulled through as so often is the case. A true sportsmans reply, not just upset by lack of numbers, a credit to the shooting comunity.

EMcC
thank you for your honesty ,i feel for your dissapointment as this looked to be building upto a good few days hunting.
did you also go with ARTEMIS and what questions would you want anwered if you are to go again as i was interested in going next year and hope not to waste my money as so to speak
yours stone

Yes, I went with Artemis and the money was more than I normally pay and next/if I go again I will be asking 'How many guns are going' a figure of ten to fifteen would be ideal but any more is just money in their pockets!!
Perhaps the last two days with them, (Artemis) will make up for the earlier days, lets see what Moose and Boghessian have to say.
I was very dissapointed that I was not given the option of the extra days for the same money but had I known the number of guns going I would have not gone even then.

Back