driven (wild) boar? with a pinch of salt

There are no guarantees with driven hunting of wild game, its 70% luck and 30% skill, they have to come close enough for a reasonable chance of success,
some pegs see nothing, others shoot 3 or 4 animals, that's proper hunting with no fences or caged release

The link isn't working for me !
As Flyboy says above. I always say it is a Team effort like football, not everybody scores but if the animals are on the ground at the end of the day then it is a good trip.
Mind you, it is nice to be in the hot spot ;)

the link was taken down.. what it depicted was a video made by one of the truck drivers of three semi trailers fully laden with wild boar going from somewhere outside of france and being unloaded in an undisclosed location in a forest of france. the number of boar was epic to say the least.

i dont know why it was taken down.. maybe the truck drivers were afraid of repercussions due to the current epidemic of african swine fever

not only was it taken down on FB but I cannot find it anywhere on the internet... amazing.

That is/was a common practice for Boar to be bred and brought on in places like Poland then transported to areas for sport, usually large fenced areas and I mean large areas so no easy peasy shooting.
Sometimes a boar or two may be kept and fed until they get very large and are then released in an area specifically for trophy hunters.
It may be stopped (if possible) now due to the spread of swine fever but I am sure it will resume again in the future.

well, there dies the whole notion of hunting wild boar... shooting pigs in a pen.

it may not be easy peasy shooting, but in these situations of course you can guarantee bag numbers for guests... but its not the real deal is what I am saying. when its the real deal the boar know the terrain, they are fast, they are mean and they may not be there on the day. they certainly dont run around like lost sheep. people have come to rely on this notion of bag numbers as something good to look forward to.

there's a few good montarias near me, with decent numbers of boar, but the bag numbers when compared to these shoots is very low. anywhere from one or two to about twenty for about 100 pegs.
there's one this year that they are going to put in 18 packs of dogs in an effort to really hit the numbers and bring them down (18 packs is unprecedented, that tallies up to about 400animals). It should be interesting to see how many they will get, as its definitely going to be hell on earth for a few hours. unfortunately i am not going to that one because of a logistics error where I am organising a fox drive in my village on the same day, but hey.. what can I say. we all make mistakes. hahahha.

anyway.. just calling the BS what it is in regards to 'wild' boar shooting in lots of places... pity they took down the video, I should have downloaded it when I had the chance

At least you still have the comfort of being able to sort a fox drive without the sort of interferences we get, :thumb::tiphat:
for the moment, theres a whole lot of crazies here as well, i think two years ago they tried the same antics as you lot get in the UK, didnt go too well. but the crazies are everywhere. i say fox they see a cute fluffy toy with the heart of a new born lamb...

well, there dies the whole notion of hunting wild boar... shooting pigs in a pen.

it may not be easy peasy shooting, but in these situations of course you can guarantee bag numbers for guests... but its not the real deal is what I am saying. when its the real deal the boar know the terrain, they are fast, they are mean and they may not be there on the day. they certainly dont run around like lost sheep. people have come to rely on this notion of bag numbers as something good to look forward to.

there's a few good montarias near me, with decent numbers of boar, but the bag numbers when compared to these shoots is very low. anywhere from one or two to about twenty for about 100 pegs.
there's one this year that they are going to put in 18 packs of dogs in an effort to really hit the numbers and bring them down (18 packs is unprecedented, that tallies up to about 400animals). It should be interesting to see how many they will get, as its definitely going to be hell on earth for a few hours. unfortunately i am not going to that one because of a logistics error where I am organising a fox drive in my village on the same day, but hey.. what can I say. we all make mistakes. hahahha.

anyway.. just calling the BS what it is in regards to 'wild' boar shooting in lots of places... pity they took down the video, I should have downloaded it when I had the chance

Anthony,

I really don't think you can compare hunting the cheap, local club, or association Portuguese Monterias, to someone paying to go on a 3-4 day driven hunting holiday.

I love the local Monterias, but I have low expectation for the hunting (sort of, we always have our fingers crossed) because having done a number over the last few years, I know what to expect. I do them because I spend time with great people, in a great country, and it's a fantastic social get together. And, whilst I want to shoot, the cost is such that it really doesn't matter.

However, if I'm spending £1500.00-£3500.00 on a 2-4 day hunt, my expectations are very different, understandably so ! Even though there are no guaranty's, even on the expensive, fenced hunts.

I'm looking forward to two days open hunting in Hungary in a couple of weeks, at a very reasonable €1225.00, and then I'll be coming to Portugal in February, for my "social" hunting trip, and, hopefully a few boar ;)

I have spent enough shekels on these drives toexperience that you often get put in the crappy corners and the locals get the prime locations then the hunt fee"s drop into the locals/clubs pockets IMO.

I have spent enough shekels on these drives toexperience that you often get put in the crappy corners and the locals get the prime locations then the hunt fee"s drop into the locals/clubs pockets IMO.

Do you not draw your peg ‘blind’ then?

There will always be occasions where some pegs are fixed, regardless of what you pay, probably more so on the expensive hunts, where the organisers are trying to keep certain clients happy.

I think less so on the small local hunts, because generally, all the hunters know each other, know the good, and bad pegs, and aren't afraid to be vocal, if they think something dodgy going on. I can only say from my own experience of the club/association Monteria's, my friends, and I have upset the locals, on more than one occasion ! Arriving a little late to one hunt, to find only 5-6 envelopes/pegs to choose from.

Wasn't happy, and feeling well stitched up, I chose my peg. Turned out to be the BEST HUNTING DAY EVER ! So you never know.

the beauty of forums is that we get to see a wide range of viewpoints. I am just saying that to market something as 'wild' when its not is in my view deceptive. I do understand some people, many maybe, are simply interested in the numbers game, and a guarantee of shooting x number of animals. there's really only one way to manage that. But you cant call that a wild boar drive now can you? you have to bend over backwards quite a way on the definition of wild.
I've nothing against such programs mind you. it was just an observation on my part as to how these things are marketed.

There will always be occasions where some pegs are fixed, regardless of what you pay, probably more so on the expensive hunts, where the organisers are trying to keep certain clients happy.

I think less so on the small local hunts, because generally, all the hunters know each other, know the good, and bad pegs, and aren't afraid to be vocal, if they think something dodgy going on. I can only say from my own experience of the club/association Monteria's, my friends, and I have upset the locals, on more than one occasion ! Arriving a little late to one hunt, to find only 5-6 envelopes/pegs to choose from.

Wasn't happy, and feeling well stitched up, I chose my peg. Turned out to be the BEST HUNTING DAY EVER ! So you never know.
theres always fixed pegs that are not included in the draw.. for whatever reason. I have found that usually those are outside the drive.. it doesnt really signify that it will be better on the day though, theres usually too many variables., and Lateral is correct, in the smaller monterias like I go to if the locals (and even visitors) find out theres something dodgy going on then I can guarantee they are not going to be quiet about it. and they will let those involved know in front of everyone else.

I know of one particular ocasion where this has happened and the gentleman that pointed out the situation was very vocal about it , it was quite embarassing for those in question and it took a few years for the incident to be forgotten.

attracting and maintaining wild freerange animals in a location for a drive is hard work. and not always guaranteed even with the effort put in.

Last edited:
Driven hunting in Germany - my only experience - is more of a Social get together - a lot of hunters out to cover all the angles - some will be lucky others will not see a thing and some will see and hear the action and may or may not get an opportunity

But it is being part of the whole event that is contagious - The ceremony, tradition and respect for the quarry that builds that very special atmosphere that all can share in is so special.

Driven hunting in Germany - my only experience - is more of a Social get together - a lot of hunters out to cover all the angles - some will be lucky others will not see a thing and some will see and hear the action and may or may not get an opportunity

But it is being part of the whole event that is contagious - The ceremony, tradition and respect for the quarry that builds that very special atmosphere that all can share in is so special.
This!

Canned hunts etc etc are usually held on fairly large areas, not very often bo you know you are enclosed, it's no worse than a forestry bloc in the UK, or a driven game shoot here, with the exception of Grouse...

Back