DSC 2 Question - Partial or Green Gralloch

Sidewinder

Hello All:

I am working on level 2. Just wondering what I do with Anal tract, Penal tract and bladder....do I remove them all in a partial gralloch or can I tie off the anal tract with either a knot or cable tie, and leave the bladder inside and penal tract intact, until I get to a better location to complete the gralloch?

Thank you

Z

Either way,whichever is best for the carcase hygiene levels to be maintained during extraction and transportation to larder.

As above. Do whatever you would normally do, as the AW is there to witness what you do, not to judge. He may ask you why you have done something a particular way, but if the answer is maintaining carcass hygiene, you should be fine.

As above. Think carefully about the extraction and keeping it clean. If its a Roe and its going in a roe sack - take every thing out, splitting the H-Bone or core the back passage and open chest cavity and remove the heart and lungs as well.

But If I was going to have to drag it through lots of mud, or load it on the back of a quad where its going to get muddy etc. I could put a strong argument for leaving the beast un-gralloched until you got back to the larder, or at very least a cleaner bit of ground.

Main thing that a good AW is looking for is if you have a good appreciation of carcass hygene and how to maintain it. There is quite rightly no one correct way of doing it, but equally there are lots of wrong things you can do.

As above. Think carefully about the extraction and keeping it clean. If its a Roe and its going in a roe sack - take every thing out, splitting the H-Bone or core the back passage and open chest cavity and remove the heart and lungs as well.

But If I was going to have to drag it through lots of mud, or load it on the back of a quad where its going to get muddy etc. I could put a strong argument for leaving the beast un-gralloched until you got back to the larder, or at very least a cleaner bit of ground.

Main thing that a good AW is looking for is if you have a good appreciation of carcass hygene and how to maintain it. There is quite rightly no one correct way of doing it, but equally there are lots of wrong things you can do.
Out of curiosity, how long is it until the stomach starts to bloat?

Most of my experience is on the hill where a drag is involved so field gralloch with as small a cut as possible, drag, clear up later.
I'd never thought of not gralloching, in part due to the weight, second because I'd expect the stomach to start turning fairly quickly.

Out of curiosity, how long is it until the stomach starts to bloat?

Most of my experience is on the hill where a drag is involved so field gralloch with as small a cut as possible, drag, clear up later.
I'd never thought of not gralloching, in part due to the weight, second because I'd expect the stomach to start turning fairly quickly.

About half an hour max.

Wow. OK. So not gralloching isn't really an option for the hill.

No not an option on the hill, that's why we perform a green gralloch on the hill,the rest heart lungs etc. can wait till back in the larder .
By just performing a green gralloch and keeping any incision as small as possible there is less change of environmental contamination.

If you need to leave a beast on the hill overnight( not an ideal situation but it can happen occasionally) then a full gralloch needs to be performed and something left on the carcase to deter crows and other vermin. I find a couple of spent cases will usually do the job short term,I have also seen florescent tape tied to antlers used to the same effect.

I carry an orange high vis vest with me. Not only does it keep pests away, it also makes the animal much easier to find. Although some ghillies still struggle....

Back