DSC1 Greenfields, Dorset in June.

carper99

Hello guys, my first ever post on these forums so I would like to start by saying hi to all.
I have booked on to a DSC1 at the Greenfields in Dorset next month, and just had a couple of questions that the info provided by BASC didn't cover. Firstly, I am pretty new to stalking, and need proof of passing the DSC before I can get the variation on my licence for a deer legal caliber. Any idea on how long I will have to wait on the certificate (assuming I pass), and do you get any kind of letter/proof of passing that I could send to the Police?
Secondly, I will obviously be borrowing a rifle for the shooting tests. Any idea what to expect? I have been practicing a fair bit with my rimfires so I'm not too worried about this part.
Cheers in advance for any answers.

Carper99,
Not sure about the certificate, but you will be brilliantly looked after by Tim at Greenfields, he is a top man.
I'm in Plymouth, whereabouts are you?
regards
Keith

I'm located near Widecombe if you know where that is. Cheers for the reply mate, really looking forward to the course.

Does anyone have any idea how long the certificate takes to turn up, or if there is any way to get a letter saying you have passed?

Does anyone have any idea how long the certificate takes to turn up, or if there is any way to get a letter saying you have passed?
I think the DSC1 certificate takes around 4 weeks after you pass but I am a little concerned about what you say. The requirement in law to possess a rifle to shoot deer with is one of "good reason" which in practical terms means do you own or rent some stalking rights, this includes any single stalks which may have been booked. There is no legal requirement in either the Firearms Act or the Deer Act to qualify for DSC1 to shoot Deer. If you have this "good reason" challenge your FLD without delay, they are trying it on. Get some advice and support from BASC if you are a member. atb Tim

I think the DSC1 certificate takes around 4 weeks after you pass but I am a little concerned about what you say. The requirement in law to possess a rifle to shoot deer with is one of "good reason" which in practical terms means do you own or rent some stalking rights, this includes any single stalks which may have been booked. There is no legal requirement in either the Firearms Act or the Deer Act to qualify for DSC1 to shoot Deer. If you have this "good reason" challenge your FLD without delay, they are trying it on. Get some advice and support from BASC if you are a member. atb Tim
Yes mate, I have a good reason, its just the police being obstructive. This is not the first time I have looked into getting a deer legal calibre. Previously, Devon and Cornwall police told me they would only grant centrefire if I could be mentored for a period of time. This option was impractical for me, living in a remote area and not knowing any other stalkers at the time. I jumped at the DSC-1 option when it was offered.
As a BASC member, I am aware that I could probably fight it, but my course is in less than 2 weeks now and I'm quite looking forward to it. Just hoping that it doesn't take too long to get some kind of evidence of passing.

Yes mate, I have a good reason, its just the police being obstructive. This is not the first time I have looked into getting a deer legal calibre. Previously, Devon and Cornwall police told me they would only grant centrefire if I could be mentored for a period of time. This option was impractical for me, living in a remote area and not knowing any other stalkers at the time. I jumped at the DSC-1 option when it was offered.
As a BASC member, I am aware that I could probably fight it, but my course is in less than 2 weeks now and I'm quite looking forward to it. Just hoping that it doesn't take too long to get some kind of evidence of passing.

I am pleased that I did DSC1, I studied the BDS online course followed by assessments with Jan Andrews in Dorset. I learnt a great deal about deer through doing it and it was a significant incentive to improve my marksmanship skills. Overall I think that it is a most beneficial thing to have done. However, the apparent insistence by your FLD that you have this is totally out of order, their criteria are that you are fit to be entrusted with a firearm i.e. not a criminal or nutcase and have "good reason". Qualifications do not come into it at all. Good luck with your DSC 1 and for your own sake stand firm against your FLD. atb Tim

Thanks Tim, and I get what you are saying, but I dont see the point in kicking up a fuss now I've booked onto a DSC-1. Hindsight is 20/20 :confused:

Previously, Devon and Cornwall police told me they would only grant centrefire if I could be mentored for a period of time. This option was impractical for me, living in a remote area and not knowing any other stalkers at the time. I jumped at the DSC-1 option when it was offered

The mentoring condition is common, and a sensible request for novice stalkers. So if that's impractical, requesting the DSC1 isn't really that unreasonable ?

The mentoring condition is common, and a sensible request for novice stalkers. So if that's impractical, requesting the DSC1 isn't really that unreasonable ?
I have to disagree mate, I can't imagine this condition is anything but cripplingly restrictive to most people. Also, it is my perception that the police impose these conditions simply to dissuade casual shooters from applying for the larger calibers, which in their minds are vastly more dangerous than a negligently handled rimfire/shotgun.
Not that I resent doing the DSC, I think it is likely to be a rewarding and educational experience, especially as before starting my revision I knew very little about deer. Just I don't think it should be a condition enforced by the police, whose primary concern is public safety. I am an experienced shot, having had rimfires, shotguns and airguns for years, and I regularly attend my local clay ground. If all this doesn't prove that I am safe/competent, then I don't know what does.

I think that the latest view expressed by the Chief Constable of Hampshire is that mentoring conditions are of little worth, so why on earth do some shooters think that we need to impose extra restrictions on ourselves? atb Tim

Back