DSC1 Simulated Stalk Equipment (URGENT)

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Moray Outfitting

N619 - to be honest Paul O' gave some of the best advice :D

No disrespect to any of the other contributors. Aside from Terry Pratchett as my favour philosopher, Bob Hope in the Lemon Drop Kid oft comes to mind as well intentioned, but possibly conflicting advice flows in! Watch the gunfight scene in the movie if you haven't seen it! ;)

Absolute bottom line with any such assessment is never be afraid to ask the place where you are going - 'from the horses mouth' so to speak. They are there to help you learn and to assess your measure against a set standard - not to trip you up.

N619 you mentioned three modes of carry. The David Stretton DSC1 Manual that is the BASC issue book shows all three modes and notes all are acceptable. Whilst Assessors all work to a standard and have regular reviews to help ensure continuity they are all human ( honest ) and each subject to their preferences. You lose nothing by discussing such things at the outset.

The key phrase for both carry and load/unload drills etc is that the rifle is pointed in a safe direction. That may be up, down or some position between the two depending upon the ground. Is some downward angle safer than an upward one? Most likely - but supposing you are in a rock quarry and stood on bed rock? Understand the concept and apply it rationally to the situation - that will ace slavish dogma everytime.

The ideal is to be equipped as per your stalk, but equally DSC1 is taken by people of all levels - including those who have yet to go stalking or possess a rifle etc. Anything deemed mandatory must be available from the course provider. The safety assessment is testing safety aspects ( no surprise there ) and the questions/ criteria are given to your in the question bank provided as part of your course material. None of the questions involve a body search or lay out of all your stalking gear - the closest questions ask for relevant lists to be given.

I've met Jayb, he's been in my house - I'm not going to criticize anyone preferring to disarm him at the outset of any interaction.... ;)

So in answer to op -

Step 1 Relax
Step 2 - if in any doubt about anything - ask the Assessor who will be assessing you
Step3 - the most important - enjoy!

Good luck - let us know how you get on and what you thought of the whole experience.

Erik Hamburger

The debate on how to carry your rifle....bizarly when I did my DSC1 I was told to carry it muzzle pointing down, as carrying it muzzle pointing up would be a fail. When I did the LANTRA L2 I was told to carry it muzzle pointing up, as muzzle pointing down would be a fail, as the muzzle could easily get blocked by snow/mud. Hmm.
It would be nice if the various organisations that deliver or assess fire-arms safety would put their heads together ;)

So when I did the DSC2 stalks I always made sure I asked my AW what his preference was on how I should safely carry my rifle and did whatever pleased the individual, keeping my own opinions to myself, and not challenging or debating the issue.

As it is practically impossible to carry a rifle fitted with a (heavy) moderator pointing upwards and strapped over your shoulder - the balance point forces it towards horizontal- I now always stalk with it strapped over the shoulder muzzle pointing down - and in wet/snowy condition have the muzzle taped off to prevent any accidental ingress.

Erik Hamburger

Muzzle down, bolt open. Therefore to stop bolt dropping closed, insert thumb in chamber. Also allows you to control rifle.

Are you saying you stalk with your thumb in the chamber?
This seems very awkward to me - assuming you carry your sticks in your left hand and have your right hand thumb in the chamber, how do you look through your binoculars? Unless you have, unlike most people, two pairs of hands ;)

JC275

So when I did the DSC2 stalks I always made sure I asked my AW what his preference was on how I should safely carry my rifle and did whatever pleased the individual, keeping my own opinions to myself, and not challenging or debating the issue.[/QUOTE]

I assume you are referring to DSC2 training stalks rather than witnessed ones? When you are doing it for real it's entirely up to you how you carry any of your kit. The AW is only there to observe,question and record, they must only advise or intervien in the event of a safety or legal issue.

neutron619

I assume you are referring to DSC2 training stalks rather than witnessed ones? When you are doing it for real it's entirely up to you how you carry any of your kit. The AW is only there to observe,question and record, they must only advise or intervien in the event of a safety or legal issue.

This was DSC1.

I asked the assessor for his preference, which was rifle slung over the right shoulder, upside down with the muzzle pointing at the floor and a hand on the barrel / mod to stop it swinging around. Had to tell him a couple of times to stop trying to get in front of me (he liked that) and I'm happy to report that I passed both the simulated stalk and the shooting test. Just the written bits to do tomorrow now.

neutron619

Thank you - I'm very pleased. Hopefully I get the other three bits passed tomorrow. If I do, an application for a .308 will be in the post to Cambs police very soon and my stalking career will (hopefully) begin in earnest.

scubadog

I managed to get mine too (after the second shooting test).
They changed the gun and I managed to get the shots on target!
see you tomorrow!

Greymaster

Are you saying you stalk with your thumb in the chamber?
This seems very awkward to me - assuming you carry your sticks in your left hand and have your right hand thumb in the chamber, how do you look through your binoculars? Unless you have, unlike most people, two pairs of hands ;)

That was while on the range admittedly and not the simulated stalk...

neutron619

I managed to get mine too (after the second shooting test).
They changed the gun and I managed to get the shots on target!
see you tomorrow!

Good to hear. I was starting to suspect there was something up with that rifle after so many people didn't get on with it. See you tomorrow.
Adam

neutron619

Just to let you all know - I passed the remaining parts of the DSC1 assessment today. Very happy with the outcome and looking forward to a certificate in the post.

paul o'

well done see that chill pill worked ,i hope you can now go out and enjoy the wonders of stalking not always killing, again well done:old:

atvb
paul o':tiphat:

Moray Outfitting

Well done.

No edict, just a suggestion - which I always tend to ask - if you feel able, I'm sure others would benefit from a few words about how you found things. Not the mechanics, but impression and feelings side - what surprised you etc.

neutron619

Thanks guys - the chill pill did work :)

I completely agree about the "stalking not always killing" bit - I've seen some amazing things already and even standing in a farmyard waiting to shoot for 5 hours on a Saturday morning, I saw birds I'd never seen before and talked to people from all walks of life very enjoyably. On the way back from the course yesterday, I saw my first cloud rainbow (you know, where the sun shines onto rain ahead of you and is refracted back as an indistinct spectrum) - it must have been fully a mile long and was just a band of light several thousand feet from top to bottom - incredible.

I'll try to put some words together at some point this week about how I found doing the CD / assessments, and I'll keep you posted (potentially read: "bombarded with questions") regarding the FAC application I'm now starting to sort out. I'm about to put the first of those up in General Discussion if you'd be kind enough to take a look.

Thanks again for all your help - I really appreciate it.

Adam.

CDSG Shooting Sports