dsc2

banus

can anyone give me the information on what is required to complete the dsc2,i am considering doing mine but have no idea what is involved and likely cost involved,i do hold dsc1 and would have to find out where i register etc

deerstalker.308

Cost is entirely dependant on circumstances, if you can do it on your own land with your own deer then you’ll likely only have to cover the time or fuel spent by the AW, depending on how they charge. If you have to pay for stalks then the costs go up depending on how many outings it takes to get your 3 deer.

NigelM

Banus, a lot of it is about time, opportunity and homework. You have to complete 3 successful stalks with an accredited witness present at each. BDS prefer to have at least two AW's involved to help keep it honest.

Try to do it on a piece of ground that holds few deer or at the wrong time of year and suffer a 1 in 5 success rate and you are going to have 15 outings, all with a bored AW. Expensive in terms of time and money. Give yourself the best chance of success and do it at the best time of year on the most productive ground you can find. If you have to go with 3 paid stalks on really productive ground with a high rate of success where the stalker is an AW it can be cheaper than trying to do it on your own ground.

Both my AW's were great guys to be out with, Professional but fun. Do your homework. Get the questions wrong and they have to write it up, that's their job. Don't waste your time and theirs by getting it wrong.

I managed to get all three stalks signed off in two outings with two different AW's on their ground within a few weeks. There will be plenty on SD who are AW's and can help. This is where I found them.

Best of luck. Nigel

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Level 2 is now undertaken with the AW completing each ICR on line.

Which ever you register with BDS or BASC etc you should have a list of AW's to approach. Drop me a PM with your number and I will talk you through it.

I am an AW by the way.

deerstalker.308

As above, but I wouldn’t get hung up on multiple AW’s, I did all of mine in one day with 1 AW and that was with BDS,no raised eyebrows, it was all above board, but we had deer to go after which made all the difference.

User001

No requirement to have different AW's involved. The standard is set by DMQ not individual Assessment Centres.

Chasey

If you have land with loads of deer on then paying a AW to accompany you is the best option

If you don't but you have paid stalking where you know you can get deer that's the second best option.

If you pay for stalking anyway then go out with an AW who can sign off on the day if you get something and only take extra payment if he has to do any paperwork, that works well too

If you pay for stalking and need to pay for the AW and you often go out and not get anything id strongly advise going somewhere like Eridge Park and doing it in three days there. Its not a 100% guarantee of three deer but its 90% and whilst not cheep (I think I paid 650.00) it was all done and dusted for a known amount so I was happy.

ATB

hendrix's rifle

Banus, a lot of it is about time, opportunity and homework. You have to complete 3 successful stalks with an accredited witness present at each. BDS prefer to have at least two AW's involved to help keep it honest.

Try to do it on a piece of ground that holds few deer or at the wrong time of year and suffer a 1 in 5 success rate and you are going to have 15 outings, all with a bored AW. Expensive in terms of time and money. Give yourself the best chance of success and do it at the best time of year on the most productive ground you can find. If you have to go with 3 paid stalks on really productive ground with a high rate of success where the stalker is an AW it can be cheaper than trying to do it on your own ground.

Both my AW's were great guys to be out with, Professional but fun. Do your homework. Get the questions wrong and they have to write it up, that's their job. Don't waste your time and theirs by getting it wrong.

I managed to get all three stalks signed off in two outings with two different AW's on their ground within a few weeks. There will be plenty on SD who are AW's and can help. This is where I found them.

Best of luck. Nigel
What do the questions consist of? Ive recently had the email through with all details on it but can't read the PDF files on my phone so need to get on laptop when I get chance, cheers

deerstalker.308

There is a long list from which the aw will choose, refresh yourself on the level 1 questions & read your portfolio and you’ll have all the information you need,they aren’t yes no right wrong questions necessarily but opportunities for you to demonstrate your knowledge. They will however tease out those who really don’t have the experience they think they have.

hendrix's rifle

There is a long list from which the aw will choose, refresh yourself on the level 1 questions & read your portfolio and you’ll have all the information you need,they aren’t yes no right wrong questions necessarily but opportunities for you to demonstrate your knowledge. They will however tease out those who really don’t have the experience they think they have.
Thanks, was expecting to be told something completely different! I'l try and get laptop up when im home