Ducks not flying?

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod
Anyone else having grief with put down duck not flying this year??
Never had problems getting them to fly in past seasons; but this year they’ll lift off and the drop straight back down. Not being treated or fed any differently as to previous seasons.
Just interested to see if anyone else is experiencing this🤷‍♂️

Phil fox man

if you can feed them onto the field then run the dogs on them! seemed to work for me this year. shoot them hard as they will soon cotton on what the score is .then just flight them once a fortnight

Ratel

Had to rear them for a couple of years. First question at mew job interview or before, " Reared duck"?
If so "No thanks"

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_100352_1.jpg
    IMG_20210505_100352_1.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 48

Heym SR20

Reared ducks, as far as I am concerned, are the worst form of shooting there is. They just lift, fly and then land again. Wild ducks do the same during the day when they are on a pond or lake with food.

The only way to shoot ducks is either out on the marshes on the foreshore, or to shoot at last light as they come into a flight pond. Driven tame duck are just wrong.

Overlay

With reared duck I’ve always fed them away to the “flushing pond” which is considerably smaller than the release pond and 1/2 mile away, just line the guns between the two and they never fail to produce.
I had thats problem and sorted nit by using two feedings splashes and if they wanted then food they had to fly for it doesnt take long to find their wing, but it didn’t happen every year, I think its something to do with strain you get sometime, its a pain but ducks is ducks, rather rear them than turkeys

Think we’re going to have to just persevere this season, and perhaps have to clear them up towards the end of the season.
The lake is about 4acres, in the middle of the flood plains with a major river 500yrds away; plenty of transiting wild duck and geese flying past, just the residents don’t want to follow suit.
There’s never been a problem with them going out onto the flood plains to feed and then returning to lake in the past.

Pedro

Think we’re going to have to just persevere this season, and perhaps have to clear them up towards the end of the season.
The lake is about 4acres, in the middle of the flood plains with a major river 500yrds away; plenty of transiting wild duck and geese flying past, just the residents don’t want to follow suit.
There’s never been a problem with them going out onto the flood plains to feed and then returning to lake in the past.
The size of the lake might be the problem. If they see some danger, eg a dog they can lift off and drop half way across the lake, knowing the dog can't swim as fast as them anyway and if it comes too close, they just need to repeat. I've released on smallish ponds and at the sight of a dog or two, the pond becomes untenable for them so they have to fly off, thus giving more sporting shots (usually). But wild duck are obviously better. You just can't be at them every week!

PSE Composites Limited