DURACOAT

Leica Amplus 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davie

For any one who is thinking of doing a diy job the paint used buy most coating companies is now on sale here you wont get the same colour choice but they do have the blacks browns and greens .
At HOMEBASE ;)

Photo020.jpg

Not my thing but for the snipers out there

1shot1kill

whats the best way of using it? do you need a under coat of some sort?
preperation of any kind? and can it be removed if you grow out of the Tom Berenger faze? lol :D

auquhollie

There was a lengthy debate on this product on Varminting. Apparently this product on sale at homebase is not the same gun coating product known as DURACOAT. Its just the name given to there general purpose spray paint. :cry:

Ads

D

Davie

Auquhollie and dose that make it a correct discussion mate it is the same stuff and when James Clark replies who was the tester and the person backing his product what can you expect he makes 200 a time from one tin of paint (if he replies :lol: ) the competition winner i will prove it because i will test both. Now to prepare i am told a full degrease and spray and after it has been done make sure it gets as long as possible to cure.
ps it comes off slowly over ware and will need repainted after a season or two. you cant take it all off with dipping in thinners ad i don't know if that's good for your rifle, :cry:

Thar

Du-Coat firearms finishes was originally developed for use by the military to protect their small arms when being used in harsh conditions such as seaborne landing by special forces. All the pretty patterns are an addition to its originally intended purpose.

The Du-coat being sold at B and Q is not the same product by a longshot, it is not resistant to firearms solvents, in tests posted on “Varminting UK”, “Shooters choice” dissolved the B and Q paint. My own rifle was one of the first to be Du-Coated in this country and no solvent I have used has had any effect on it, which on a product that has been designed to be used on a firearm is no less than you would expect.

By all means buy the B and Q paint but do not kid yourself that it is a proper firearms coating product, this was all very well aired on the Varminting UK site and Dave is not doing anybody any favours by trying to persuade members of this site that it is something that it is not.

Best rgds

Tahr

jon2

I am no expert here but I cannot believe the B&Q stuff is anywhere near the same product.

If you want to talk yourself into thinking it is then fine but you get what you pay for in my opinion. An old addage but very true.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
6.5 x 55 said:
Auquhollie and dose that make it a correct discussion mate it is the same stuff and when James Clark replies who was the tester and the person backing his product what can you expect he makes 200 a time from one tin of paint (if he replies :lol: ) the competition winner i will prove it because i will test both. Now to prepare i am told a full degrease and spray and after it has been done make sure it gets as long as possible to cure.
ps it comes off slowly over ware and will need repainted after a season or two. you cant take it all off with dipping in thinners ad i don't know if that's good for your rifle, :cry:

Interesting post 6.5x55, especially on an open forum for the world to see :rolleyes: :

Are you claiming, as the above quote suggests, that the Homebase spray paint and the product manufactured by Lauers in the USA is the SAME product?

You also post that you will "test" the two products, which independant laboratory do you intend to commission to conduct these tests - may we see the lab reports?

If you conduct the tests yourself, can you say that you have been trained to apply both products in the manner prescibed and recommended by the makers, have you recieved / undertaken the manufacturers training course in each products application?

I also (like previous posters) have rifles coated with the Duracoat product (from Jager Sporting Arms) - two of them having seen extensive and regular use in some really poor conditions and have yet to see the coating "wear (or ware :eek: ) off over a season or two"

I look forward to your replies - as I am sure do the legal teams from Homebase, Jager Sporting Arms and Lauer Custom Weaponry :evil: ;)

auquhollie

6.5 x 55 said:

You are having a giraffe mate. Let sleeping dogs lie. Its not the same product and your kidding yourself if you really and truly think it is?. As if homebase would be mixing up and selling DURACOAT a firearms coating spray already patented by another company. :rolleyes:

Ads

Trapper

you could use it to spray the good old mark 1 snipers veil, cammo colour :lol:
I,ll get me jacket!! :lol:
Trapper

Jager SA

Looks like there is more than meets the eye with this...

6.5x55, it appears you have issues with Duracoat or whoever applies it, does this mean you are qualified to make judgement on any of this?

If the stuff you claim is the same as that used by "most coating companies" (Which im sure it isnt) then can you explain why it comes off with the use of rifle cleaning solvents?

Have you completed your test of the products?

Do you know how much is actually made out of coating rifles?

Do you coat rifles yourself, as it appears you think you know all there is to know?

Have you dealt with the company, had work done perhaps and wasnt happy?

These are important things I feel that need to be put on the forum, after all nobody wants to be ripped off.

D

Davie

I will check when Renez gets his done but like i said its a DIY can of duracoat now it is made up of the same ingredients just like car paints etc . now its not hard to use i was a painter for nine years and served a full apprenticeship the coaters that were trained to use duracoat were trained in a day or to not real hard to learn :lol:
Have i got issues no but if some one wants a deal and thinks they can do it them selves at home then why not .
PS GRIFF YES UNDER A DIFFERNT NAME ;)

D

Davie

6.5 x 55 said:
I will check when Renez gets his done but like i said its a DIY can of duracoat now it is made up of the same ingredients just like car paints etc . now its not hard to use i was a painter for nine years and served a full apprenticeship the coaters that were trained to use duracoat were trained in a day or to not real hard to learn :lol:
Have i got issues no but if some one wants a deal and thinks they can do it them selves at home then why not .

Photo020.jpg

hey it dose what it says on the tin :lol:

Jager SA

6.5 x 55 said:

You obviously know Renez so I guess he can show you the finished product, however, I doubt very much the company doing the coating uses Homebase Duracoat...as Auquhollie said you must be having a Giraffe! :lol: I cant see that you being a painter for nine years or anyone learning to apply Duracoat for a day has anything to do with my questions???
It cant be that easy or everyone would doing it. You see you have given all the good people on the site a heads up on a product that you claim is the same stuff used by "most coating companies" for Duracoating but really the information is missleading because you do not have the facts nor the chemical compounds to justify your statement. So based on your initial post you know for a fact that the Homebase Duracoat is the same coating as the liquid polymer (Info sourced from Lauer) as used in the Firearm coating companies?
I think you have made a slight error personally but each to their own my friend.
From what I have read, I would not recommend that anyone uses the Homebase Duracoat for coating a Firearm unless it has been specifically designed for that purpose, the results could be catastrophic. :(

D

Davie

James don't dramatise this you would say its different stuff you apply it and make a lot of profit and i am sure you are worth every Pennie now what is in the paint is written on the side how to use it is written on the side if it took you one day to learn then most chaps that have a clue at all about painting would not have any problem. With regards my skill it has no relevance at all just to say you don't need any to do it.
Now facts are facts it has the chemical compounds and i feel that would suggest the same stuff. It Is going to get tried out by IAN F he will no doubt let people know if it can be done DIY your study is two one side as you have a conflict of interest in the product as it goes against your own expensive version.

I WILL WAIT FOR IANS REPORT AND WILL GIVE IT MY BACKING AS I FEEL HIS IS AN HONEST MAN . ;)

Trapper

Should have gone to Ronseal ! :)
Says what it does on the can!! :lol:
Lifes to short to stuff a mushroom , or pickle a squirrel !.
If you stuck to hessian , you wouldn'have a problem!!
Anyway if you need to camup your weapon, revise your fieldcraft! skills.
and get more sneaky!!.
Regards Trapper.

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Trapper

I guess that you wear shiny, reflective clothing and maybe garish coloured garments whilst stalking?

No?

I thought not.

If someone want to customise their rifle by having it coated (or even wrapping it cammo tape) they are only removing the chance of reflections / glints being spotted by the quarry.

Perhaps we should all have "individuality" removed from our personalities, then we would all have the same things - life would be quite dull- no?

6.5x55

you still havent answered the questions posted earlier -

you say that the two products are the SAME, yet where is your evidence?

Its been a couple of days now since asking, one would have thought you had the scientific proof in front of you before making such an accusation for the world to see....

You say you are a qualified painter - is that painter and decorator, industrial painter, car sprayer, artist??

The question was have you been trained by the manufacturers to apply the product - I take that as a no then?

Independant testing?

You say done by Ian F - who is he, does he own a laboratory, so that the chemical compounds may be found / analised and a true comparison be made bettween the two products?

How will the "durability" test be conducted?

I feel that you are doing nothing more than attempting to slur the name of a UK business, quite why is beyond me, but this site is no place for these shenanigans, it degrades the site, it cheeses people off and does nothing for anyones reputation or business in these difficult times.

I cleaned a rifle yesterday using shooters choice - possibly the most aggressive solvent available (just behind sweets 7.62) I left it soaking in the barrel for ten mins as this partiular gun had seen a heavy session on the range and was pretty fouled. Some of the solvent ended up on the barrel underside and also on the tang area (un known to me at the time)

When I wiped it off - after ten minutes, the duracoat was sound and un touched - try that with the home base product.....

If I were site admin, I would certainly be considering pulling this thread as its a fairy tale started by someone deliberately to create mischief.

D

Davie

Now Now Andrew i would not wish you to comment on anything to technical you being a so called driver of sorts :lol: Like i said it is a DIY product and if some one wants to give it a go then why not stop getting hot under the collar mate . If Ian F tries it and he is a deerstalker that gets out and dose it then that's good enough for me
If you tell me that the top speck Volvo comes off the road if driven to hard into a bend then i will believe you .You don't need to know the full speck of engineering that goes into the car.
If admin want to remove the hard waring coating provided by Home Base because it upsets the gun coaters over here then fine let them remove it .But for you to tell them to do so sticks to high heaven as you are also doing it out of loyalty to your friend and not for the good of the public. ;)

Photo020.jpg

Now before anyone goes out and buys this stuff make sure you have read the instructions as using this can cause dizziness. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Night Vision Store