E-Bay No More (Said in Proclaimer's fashion)

opticron1

Tend not to use eeebaay much now as much of what gets flogged there doesn't seem particularly good value or is eeerrrrr... imported from far in the East! Still keep the account going as the BDS and WTT run their auctions through fleabay, but even the WTT seems to have moved over to Givergy along with some others.

mealiejimmy

I buy stuff on E Bay regularly and never have a problem.
If the seller screws up I get my money back.
Never had any issues with PayPal either.
It's their platform so they make the rules.
Giving out you bank account number and sort code is not a security risk
Every invoice I send out and every invoice I receive has my or the senders bank account details.
Without that information no-one would ever get paid

Cheers

Bruce

Woodsmoke

I use it less and less these days. Used to love just browsing when the majority of items were actually private sellers, but it's just another online store now. Chinese sellers are an absolute plague now, but it's still quite handy for used vehicle parts from nationwide breakers. That's mostly what I use it for now

takbok

eBay is fantastic for me still, especially for fasteners and all sorts of spare parts for various tools and machines.

I don't find Amazon as easy to use.

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Used to occasionally use it but gave up on it entirely five years ago when selling a portacabin mainly because of absolute lard head buyers and also e-bay's response to them.
The building was listed with accurate dimensions, an approximation of weight, and photographs. It also stated that a flat bed and a crane would be required to move it. I even gave a quote for moving it from a local haulage company with a favorable mileage rate.

The first "buyer" opted for the buy it now option thereby halting the auction before the listing expired. He then asked if he could arrange to view prior to paying. He was fairly local why didn't he ask to come and see it before halting the auction. He then said it was too large. I got the listing fee back or rather e-bay then relisted it but it delayed the auction by a further two weeks.

Then another buyer enquired if it would fit in a transit van and could I give them a hand to lift it in the van. I told them that there was no way that it would fit in a transit van and that a crane was required to move it yet he continued with the auction and won it. He or rather the whole family came to view the building. He never paid and e-bay didn't pursue him for payment. E-bay were a complete waste of time in resolving the matter so I gave up on them and resolved never to use them again.

Scandially

I have nearly 700 +ve feedback and only been ripped off once. A fake Rolex wallet from HK. Otherwise the price is better than the High Street.
I do my homework and never bid as the sellers usually bids up to the reserve and i factor in the postage before buying.

kripton

I buy stuff on E Bay regularly and never have a problem.
If the seller screws up I get my money back.
Never had any issues with PayPal either.
It's their platform so they make the rules.
Giving out you bank account number and sort code is not a security risk
Every invoice I send out and every invoice I receive has my or the senders bank account details.
Without that information no-one would ever get paid

Cheers

Bruce
The banks would disagree - we were specific warned by our banks never to give bank account details other than by "snail mail" or telephone

Tim.243

eBay is fantastic for me still, especially for fasteners and all sorts of spare parts for various tools and machines.

I don't find Amazon as easy to use.
Quite agree Rory, you have to watch the posting cost but for half a dozen of this or that then the grief to source the item + time fuel is a win win

mealiejimmy

The banks would disagree - we were specific warned by our banks never to give bank account details other than by "snail mail" or telephone

It's very difficult to do business these days without providing buyers with the details they need to pay you for your work.
And once someone you send your bank details to by snail mail has those details - what's to stop them giving them to the rest of the world?
The fact is that having someones sort code and account number is not a security risk.
Any bank with an internet banking system that can be compromised simply by entering a sort code and account number would neither be in business nor allowed to be in business

Cheers

Bruce

Stimo444

The problem for me is that selling on eBay has changed so that instead of them paying your money into PayPal they now want direct access to a current account. This is giving them permission to take money out in costs and they will not let sellers use any other system. PayPal was good because you could have just a small amount in the account and it was sort of separate from eBay. Could set up another current account but not worth the hassle for my, so will stop selling on that platform. Other private sellers have said the same , think it will make eBay less attractive to me.

landkeeper

I dont see any difference , if there was an issue before they(ebay,) could just retrieve funds from your paypal account , you could try to be clever and not have funds in it but as soon as you added funds to it it would be used to 'sort the previous issue'
Folk getting in a froth about ebay having your bank details yet happily pay for stuff on line or over the phone with debit,/crefit cards i dont get it
Sell on ebay work out your costs and price accordingly

enfieldspares

Yes. Me too. Frankly I sell stuff on eBay as I want it gone and gone quickly with the money paid to me straight after so I can wrap it, pack it post it. If I wanted to wait two working days to get paid then check with my bank (I don't bank online) then finally get it sent off I'm not doing it. So now no more eBay selling for me. Stuff them.