Early Autumn?

stalkerboydy

Out tonight for some rabbits to feed the dog, the stubbles were covered in Pinkfeeted geese and Canada's, they are really early this year don't usually see them for another couple of months in the numbers seen tonight, not long till the 1st of September so hoping they hang around , good practice for the pup .
Pinkfooted Geese I'd love to be proven wrong but 45 odd years chasing numerous species of Geese through out the British Isles and Scottish Islands I'd bet they are Grey Lag Geese

bogtrotter

Why? The pinks arrive here well before the greys! Though usually mid September before they arrive, mixed in with
Canadas is more like!y to be greys though not necessarily so.
Its early for pinks but just possible I suppose extremely ear!y for greys at least here if greys then I suspect they are residents rather than migratory
we have between a 150 and 200 greys that are staying over and nesting here now they are regularly seen in the company of the resident Canada's.

opticron1

House Martins and Swallows were beginning to gather at the farm on the stretch of river I was on ready to head south, still warm around here.... keeping my fingers crossed for a "proper" rut this year in the Highlands and not a non event like last year:stag:. Lots of berries on the rowan in places and a lot more Hazelnuts this year for some reason.

stalkerboydy

Why? The pinks arrive here well before the greys! Though usually mid September before they arrive, mixed in with
Canadas is more like!y to be greys though not necessarily so.
Its early for pinks but just possible I suppose extremely ear!y for greys at least here if greys then I suspect they are residents rather than migratory
we have between a 150 and 200 greys that are staying over and nesting here now they are regularly seen in the company of the resident Canada's.
I was referring to them being Feral Grey Lag not Migrating Icelandic Grey Lag as I stated I'd love to be proven wrong .
Any Pink's I've ever known to be shot on 1st. September have been collection escaped or injured bird from the previous season. Personally the earliest Pink's I've seen was 7th September but normally between 11th 15th depending on the Moon phase. So not long before the Earn Valley will be ringing with Wink winking

camodog

Out tonight for some rabbits to feed the dog, the stubbles were covered in Pinkfeeted geese and Canada's, they are really early this year don't usually see them for another couple of months in the numbers seen tonight, not long till the 1st of September so hoping they hang around , good practice for the pup .
Just curious, whereabouts are you based ? We only see our first 'Pinks on the Ribble estuary in early September.

sauer

Can’t beat standing with a coffee in morning after letting dogs out kennel... breath seen on air and few thousand wink winking away as come off the basin out to fields for day ....
Got my permit and plan to actually use it this year...

Paul

stalkerboydy

Can’t beat standing with a coffee in morning after letting dogs out kennel... breath seen on air and few thousand wink winking away as come off the basin out to fields for day ....
Got my permit and plan to actually use it this year...

Paul
Good luck for the coming season Paul you definitely get some high number's at the Basin

sauer

Yeah certainly do .... lucky enough to have a permission adjacent to it too ....

Must admit I got totally disillusioned with fowling for while ... you’d go out and there be a couple lads over out on mud couple hundred yards or so away from you .... see a skein coming over up in inosphere ..... and then as your having a cheeky cup from the flask watching them the other group all let fly at stuff they shouldn’t be raising a gun to

But hankering for crispy duck again and I’ve missed it so the left handed M2 is coming out again

Paul

Brittany boy

I'm based in Ayrshire, the geese are defo pinks, we have a small number of resident pinks that nest on a coastal island but there are too many this year even accounting for a good year of breeding the numbers are up in the hundreds. there were also about 20 Canada's in with them, again we did have a small feral population but the stalkers shot them out due to the disturbance they were causing while out for the deer. I suppose they could be ferals but the numbers suggest otherwise. They are all over the stubbles so with a week to go should give the pup a bit of practice and put some meat in the freezer. I'll try get a picture next time I'm out .

stalkerboydy

I'm based in Ayrshire, the geese are defo pinks, we have a small number of resident pinks that nest on a coastal island but there are too many this year even accounting for a good year of breeding the numbers are up in the hundreds. there were also about 20 Canada's in with them, again we did have a small feral population but the stalkers shot them out due to the disturbance they were causing while out for the deer. I suppose they could be ferals but the numbers suggest otherwise. They are all over the stubbles so with a week to go should give the pup a bit of practice and put some meat in the freezer. I'll try get a picture next time I'm out .
Apart from captive breed Pinkfooted won’t and don’t breed in the British Isles. Pinkfooted geese are a migratory species . Sir Peter Scott found as have many others including myself having kept wing tipped slightly injured Pink’s ( 1 ) they wouldn’t breed ( 2 ) even after several years of being captive if released or they escaped they will use their migration skills to find there mates eg a good friend had 15 wild Pink’s at his farm in Surrey where they are hundreds of miles from any wintering Pinkfooted goose flocks when released there wild migration brain kicked in gone forever.
Have a read about when Peter Scott left his goose collection at the Lighthouse on the Wash a injured Pink left but returned each winter for 3 - 4 years stayed a day or 2 the returned to its mates.

Brittany boy

I stand corrected stalkerboydy , I've just googled images of both species and you are correct the geese are grey lag with a few Canada's . I've never wildfowled seriously and the geese I have shot have always been tuff old birds over stubbles that has put me off shooting them as I like to shoot for the table. Other shooters have always called the birds pink footed geese and I have just excepted that was what they were. If the geese hang around over the winter and you fancy a day out give me a shout and I'll have you down for a day and you can educate me further.

stalkerboydy

I stand corrected stalkerboydy , I've just googled images of both species and you are correct the geese are grey lag with a few Canada's . I've never wildfowled seriously and the geese I have shot have always been tuff old birds over stubbles that has put me off shooting them as I like to shoot for the table. Other shooters have always called the birds pink footed geese and I have just excepted that was what they were. If the geese hang around over the winter and you fancy a day out give me a shout and I'll have you down for a day and you can educate me further.
No problem at all Brittany Boy please except my apologies if I've came across as a know all . Imho takes a proper man to admit to a mistake so thank you for posting your honesty.
Unfortunately due to age etc i know longer travel from Cambridgeshire to Scotland for Geese or Deer but have many fond memories of pursuing Geese and Deer in Scotland along with some of the Islands.
Thanks again for your very kind offer i wish you all the success no matter what Quarry you chase in the future.

Brittany boy

No need to apologise the offer is open ended there is not much walking involved vehicle access can be sorted, I am in the south west of Scotland so if you can make it to Glasgow and sort out your accommodation I'll sort the rest .

finnbear270

Had to come home early, nice six pointer would have spoiled, aircon full blast all way home, two motorways all fecked up, stop start all the way!

finnbear270

Autumn confirmed to me early hours Saturday, millions of steel like strands of web silk, all over the motor, could actually hear them snapping when getting the stalking gear out of the car in the dark.