East Midlands today…illegal coursing

BSAvale

Piece just on, plenty of farmers explaining the level of the problem in Leicestershire….BBC conveniently avoided pointing out that the perpetrators tarmac drives, steal diesel / dogs / farm machinery and happen to lead an “alternative“ lifestyle as do as you likies. The issue really does need tackling head on with vehicles seized and crushed, dogs rehomed and criminals jailed. Can’t see anything being done though sadly…

Nothing will be done to them. They are untouchable. Got told last week a convoy of Subaru foresters were pinged by ANPR from Lancashire all the way down to Woburn abbey, across to thetford then back via Leicestershire. Wonder what they were upto!

dogs need destroying, they dont give a toss about the cars. absolute scum. no excuse for their behaviour, mate farm got done the other night cwd killed and left

Sorry to be picky, but they aren't coursing they are poaching. Their competitions are run purely on who kills the hare, coursing was the test of one dog against another judged usually by a mounted judge who awarded marks for the run up (from the dogs being slipped to the first turn of the hare) and subsequent turning of the hare (1 point for more than 90 degree or a 0.5 point for a wrench which is a turn less than 90 degrees). Latterly there were no points for a kill and even back in history a kill was only worth 1 point if of particular merit. Hares would be given due law, a head start of around 100 - 150 yards for greyhounds and 50 - 80 yards for breeds such as whippets. It was the slipper's duty to make sure any hare coursed was fit and healthy, not balled up with mud and to do everything possible to stop hares being killed. Coursing events were well publicised and took place with land owner permission and were either driven or walk up. Only greyhound coursing was subject to betting.

We didn't trash crops, smash gates, run deer, operate at night or threaten people. You could be stood next to a Lord, Lady, postman, plumber in short anyone from any walk of life and I treasure the memories I have of watching my dogs run. I took lots of people to watch over the years, particularly those who had voiced opinion against the sport, not one was against it at the end of the day. I'll get off my soap box now, but I'll never forgive Blair for what he did to our sport.

Both are now illegal - whoever undertakes them is a criminal so there is really no difference - I used to hunt and thats now illegal unless its a 'drag'. As a community we need laws which allow reasonable pursuits to be enjoyed in the countryside and I very much regret the criminalisation of people who are merely carrying on a tradition. 'Grandfather' rules should apply as they do for spraying etc..

how ever you describe it, i call them skum, no way are they all gypsies. the sport was legal but now isnt, what ever we thought of it when legal its too late, needs stamping out.

Back