Easy jet and ammunition

Rob Mac

Hi

I'm flying up to Inverness with Easy Jet at the end of the week for a couple of days on the hill. Previously when I've flown up with my rifle, I've been lucky enough to have friends who were also driving up, so they took the ammunition, but this time I'll also be taking the ammunition on the flight.

I spoke to one of the guys at the 'Easy Jet Customer Experience Centre' earlier today, but all he was only able to tell me was what is on the Easy Jet website about the carrying of ammunition.

It states that ammunition must be taken in wooden or metal boxes. I don't have one of those, but have a very strong plastic box, which is as sturdy as a wooden box. Does anyone know if this will be OK?

And as the ammunition has to travel up separately, does the 'approved' ammunition box then go back into my checked on luggage?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Mac said:
It states that ammunition must be taken in wooden or metal boxes. I don't have one of those, but have a very strong plastic box, which is as sturdy as a wooden box. Does anyone know if this will be OK?

Really depends how picky the person is on the check-in...Often you have enough hassle when you've followed the letter of the rules, so I wouldn't take the risk..Can't you get a cheap metal cash box from a stationer ???

Rob Mac said:
And as the ammunition has to travel up separately, does the 'approved' ammunition box then go back into my checked on luggage?

Thats whats what happened when I've flown in the past..

Easy Jet

I’ve flown with Easy Jet from Bristol, and they are very good, and on the ball, it states use Metal or Wood, do it, As Pete said a small metal cash box is ok, when you go to check in they will fill out the paper work at the checking in desk when this is complete you will then be taken to an area where the Police can check the details on your Firearms certificate they may wish to see the ammo but not always, need to pack the ammunition in your luggage that is put in the hold, they will label that up separately, your bags and gun will be taken from you at this point by the Airline porters, And just hope they put it on the flight with you.

Hi Rob,
for the cost of a metal petty cash box (£15-£20 from Office world and the like), I'd get one. Polish airlines are handled by BMI, they didn't know what day it was let alone what they should do with ammo! Weren't sure whether ammo went in the suitcase or not, the whole thing was a farce.
I'd also carry some electrical tape, so you can seal any container yourself prior to parting with it.
Good luck mate, it's always an experience :evil:
Mark

I have flown with easyjet quite a number of times with firearms.

Go and buy the little tin cash box for £15. It will take 2 boxes of ammo, you rifle bolt and knife.

Do not risk the grief of being stopped while failing to follow the specified procedures.

Failing that mate, Pop in to Grahams at Inverness (down the road from Mcdonalds)and buy it there, the shop is only 10-15min from airport,

Its worth giving them a phone first to make sure they stock your ammo and reserve a few boxes,

Swede

Ammunition & Easy Jet

Flown through Bristol & Inverness a couple of times, and had no problems. Rifle in one Pele box and ammunition in another pele box, both secured with padlocks. Pele very tough plastic, the US and UK Armed forces use them!

Airline regulations are that the ammo must be packed seperatly from the firearm in your main luggage. If it is over 5kilo it must be in a locked metal box.

I have flown abroad with firearms many times. I have never taken 5kilo of ammo :eek: and have always packed the ammo in my main luggage in plastic RCBS boxes, never had a problem.

When you think about it locked in a metal box, if it did explode you would have lots of nice shrapnel flying about all over the plane wouldnt you :rolleyes:

Hi all, I've had ammunition taken from me at Gatwich and Heathrow for not having an 'approved' lockable container for my ammunition, despite having it in boxes I've used successfully before - this year my far better half actually bought me a separate purpose-built, lockable ammunition box and I've not had a problem since.

Better to be safe than sorry IMHO!

Direct from the Easy Jet web site, this morning

Firearms

Firearms and explosives are not permitted in cabin or hold baggage.

As an exception, sporting/competition firearms, and a maximum of five kilos of ammunition (UN0012 or UN0014), may be carried in hold luggage, subject to production valid documentation of proof of ownership and legal authority for the possession of the firearm(s) at check-in.

Firearms must be properly packed in a suitable gun bag.

Ammunition must be packed securely in a hard wooden or metal box. The allowance for more than one passenger must not be combined into one or more package. Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles are prohibited.

Passengers are required to advise easyJet in advance if they will be travelling with permitted firearms /ammunition by calling the easyJet contact centre on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobiles and other networks may cost more). An additional manual handling fee is charged for the carriage of firearms. In addition, in order to ensure that all necessary procedures are completed, passengers must check-in at least ninety minutes before the scheduled departure of the flight. Otherwise they will not be accepted for travel and will forfeit their seat, and no refund will be offered.

Read it as it is, Follow their instructions and you can't go far wrong

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

I now have a metal box that should meet their requirements!

Cheers,

Rob

Ammo & Flying

Hi Rob

I am going up to Inverness next month with Flybe from Exeter. Can you let me know how you get on up there? I have flown Exeter- Glasgow with Flybe no problems, they didn't even want to know about the ammo when I mentioned it.

Cheers

Eric

Hi Eric

I didn't have any real problems with EasyJet. I put the ammo in an old coffee tin, but in the end no-one even bothered to look at it on the way up or the way back. The baggage handlers did manage to put a big dent along one edge of my rifle case!

It's worth checking in early, because the check in staff at Bristol (they were from Latvia) didn't know the proceedure for firearms. But that doesn't matter as long as they've got time to find their supervisor and sort it out.

Have fun up there.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Mac said:
It's worth checking in early, because the check in staff at Bristol (they were from Latvia) didn't know the proceedure for firearms. But that doesn't matter as long as they've got time to find their supervisor and sort it out.

I hope they have improved the procedures at Bristol. Do they still call the airport police over?

I flew up to Edinburgh from Bristol with a couple of shotguns about 3 years ago and after declaring the firearms in the special baggage area (watching the handler's eyes open like saucepans with fear!) they called a police officer over who insisted on both guns being taken out of the case, serial numbers checked against licence etc. He then issued me with a formal 'stop and search' form (the same they would give a hoody in the street) as a formality and left me to check the guns in.

At Edinburgh they just handed the case over the desk without even checking my id!

Then back at Bristol we found the same police officer waiting with the case in baggage collection where he made us go through the whole charade again, taking the guns out, checking the serial numbers and issuing a stop and search! The worst part was that this time we had to take the guns out of the case in front of all the other wide eyed passengers!

Back