Effects of new drink drive limit

Blackpowder

A village pub where as a guest at a small shoot I have enjoyed the post shoot bite to eat and craic closed its doors last week. Is this the result of the lower drink drive limit introduced in December? Do any forum members know of any rural pubs who have given up the struggle lately?

Blackpowder

Highly unlikely to be the result of any recent change in legislation more like just another casualty to the general trend of pub closures for various reasons e.g. unsustainable rents or trend changes in drinking habits.

There are probably more closed pubs within 10 miles of where I live than there are pubs that are still operating.

The break up of the brewery monopolies and selling off of the pubs to the likes of Admiral and Punch Taverns had a huge long term negative impact on the licenced trade in this country.

Certainly had a dramatic effect up here, WILL cause closures.
Have a word with the publicans see if they can organise transport among them, its in their interest
i had a pub years ago and if any of my customers came with their car and wanted a drink i would drive them home, made a big difference to trade
Cheers
Ray

Have a word with the publicans see if they can organise transport among them, its in their interest
i had a pub years ago and if any of my customers came with their car and wanted a drink i would drive them home, made a big difference to trade
Cheers
Ray
To late I think Ray, the two girls who were running it took over from a relative. Although its only a few miles from Berwick on Tweed, people who would have a meal and a glass of wine or beer with their meal seem no longer willing to take a chance on loosing their license. Of course for shooters it is a double whammy as shotgun and rifle certs and licenses could also be at risk.

Blackpowder

It will be the final nail in coffin for a lot of rural pubs, not good. Even ur few pints watching the fitba on a school nite could have u in trouble the next morning

I got a breathaliser for christmas, now i'm not convinced how accurate it is so would never trust it or even have 1 drink if i was driving that night, nveer have. I'm actually amazed for me how much i can allegedly drink and still be under the limit. (I will add this is just out of couriosity and i had no intention of driving) 1 nite had 2 cans of cider with tea and only registered 0.3, the lowest it registers (after the 20 min wait)
Another time, morning after the shoot meal a couple of lads crashed at mine, we had a fair scoop after the meal in rounds till kicking out time so really should all have drank similarish ammounts, next morning i blew 0.3 again another lad 0.6 and another was 1.6. None of us was driving but just shows how everyones metabolism will be different, both the other 2 were of a similar size and age

And to think it was just a Kenny McCaskill "look at me" exercise.

If it was about saving lives they would have raised the driving age to 21.

Don`t agree with this new limit at all.

Yip, 7 pubs a week closing in Scotland and blamed on the smoking ban and now publicans are saying licenced premises are emptying much earlier due to morning after fears.
It's also due to the ease of fireside drinking, cheaper and no junkies to deal with? Too much football booming out in my local even though the clientel aren't watching it. You can buy four cans now for the price of a pint so pubs have got to be toiling with rates and Councils never off their case with licencing stipulations and constant visits usually for "training" purposes.

And was the same kenny makaskil not lifted at wembly 1 year for drunken behaviour? The mans an idiot.

The new drink drive limit will not save a life.

I do not believe in increasing limit to 21 either, could mean a lot of young people could not work, if they could not drive there (rural areas or strange shift patterns.)
I think in NZ u can drive at 16 but under P plates but only aaloowed to drive at nite on ur own (so ok for to/from work) if ur passengers are under 21. Makes sense as that's when accidents happen when showing off to ur mates at nite

I think some people may be right when they say it will not save lives, idiots will still drink and drive, personally I don,t care if people get caught, it's a far greater crime than poaching, not that I support either

My father in law is the committee chairman of the clubhouse at his local golf course, he can see the clubhouse closing very shortly if they can't come up with a solution.

He was saying that many of the golfers used to "tee off" around 9-10am, finish at lunchtime and drop in to the clubhouse for a half n half then order some grub, because of the lower limit the golfers aren't risking a drink after a round so aren't there to grab some food either, takings in the clubhouse have taken a massive hit, chef standing idle most of the day.

They looked at buying a minibus to taxi them home but they come from all over Glasgow for a round of golf and they reckon it just wouldn't be viable.

its always the honest people that get hit, the ****heads will still drive about smashed out their brains.

If it stops one person being killed by a drunk driver , it's been worth it. You can't drink after a shoot , big deal. I prefer to go home , settle my dogs and have a nice meal.

Nelson no mates... shooting is a social event and that invves social skills which do not need alcohol but do need you to mingle.

If you want a drink , get a driver or a taxi , if not you deserve everything that comes your way

If you want a drink , get a driver or a taxi , if not you deserve everything that comes your way
Totaly agree with you never even have 1 if im driving, glad i sold my pub when i did ,,,before the smoking ban, never mind the new limits

half the planet cant drive when sober! so yes bring it on,anyone caught behind the wheel with drink/drugs total life ban,

I love a drink as much as next person but I've seen the devestation that can be the end result not a good place to see

Yes, because if you are driving and over 21 you are more responsible and less of a danger to some inconsiderate idiot who decides to drink and drive...:doh:

I have been there mate, had my life changed for ever and lost three friends to one of these idiots. He was over twice the drink driving limit and on his third disqualification for drink driving. After killing my three friends and leaving me to (what everyone thought it was going to be) a lifetime in a vegetative state he was sent to prison for five years. Came out in two, drunk, drove, killed two more and himself. Oh, he was over 21 years old too...

Yes, 3 times over the limit. An idiot regardless of this change.

The amount of people who were under the old limit and caused accidents was so small it was unknown.

Under 21 yr old driver kill themselves and other on a daily frequency. So theres the easy answer to save lives. I wouldn`t advocate it, but saving lives was the object here, so why not save even more than the small number they have aimed for with this change.

I am in no way condoning drink driving , no one knows me or knows how drunk drivers have affected my life, but I still do not think this was a good idea, or in fact a worth while exercise

The margins on soft drinks and food are significantly higher than on alcohol.
if you can't make a pub work within the law then it was never going to work because a small proportion of people had one pint for the road.

Adapt!
smoking areas, set up taxi car share, pool car, free soft drinks/food for designated drivers, pub quiz, sports events, beer tastings etc etc

I find it odd that businesses that go under can even think of blaming a law that is 2 months old, that business has been dying for months if not years.

The pubs that thrive round my home area all have something different to attract punters on unusual nights.
sunday nights used to be massive in one pub, not everyone was getting hammered so not all are concerned bout morning after

Back