Electric headphones/ ear plugs

henryjackson

Wanting people's reviews on electric hearing protection for shooting, predominantly shotguns but also rifles.
The most common seems to be the Peltor SportTac which are over ear ones. However, I have seen that you can have in ear ones .... Unfortunately I can't justify the £600 odd for the Cens.

Are there in ear plugs that are up to about £150 that do similar to the SportTac (block out gunshots but amplify conversation)?

Ive seen that you can get Peltor EEP-100 in ear ones but can't really find much on them, and if they do that job...Screenshot_20201214-105659.pngScreenshot_20201214-105649.png

i use a set called grizzly ears.

american company but rachel carrie is the UK disti for them.
i have a set and they are great. can be used for shooting, gym etc.
has a setting for the sound amplification when shooting, but the rest of the time they are just bluetooth headphones.
great sound quality and great battery life.
check them out :)

Had the sport tacs for years, really good and batteries last. Turned right up you can hear the keeper cursing the beaters when on peg 🤣. Buy quality once...

Sordin Supreme Pro X. Superb product & very comfortable particularly with the gel seals fitted. Fully waterproof & 5 years warranty versus 2 for the Peltors.

Yes the 3M Peltor EEPs and LEPs are excellent. You will notice they have a much higher SNR rating than most others...more than double the attenuation than any of the fitted CENS ones and better than most of the over ear type.

Do a search on here there have been a number of threads discussing them.

Alan

Have been a consistently good source for LEPs EEPs and the tips that I found suited my ears.

Reactions: Oh6
Yes the 3M Peltor EEPs and LEPs are excellent. You will notice they have a much higher SNR rating than most others...more than double the attenuation than any of the fitted CENS ones and better than most of the over ear type.

Do a search on here there have been a number of threads discussing them.

Alan

Have been a consistently good source for LEPs EEPs and the tips that I found suited my ears.
Thanks, I do some loading/ pushing buttons on a clay ground so want something that I can hear everything the shooter says while at the same time when I'm shooting not having the ringing in my ears! What's the difference between Leaps and EEPs other than quite a bit of money?!

Thanks, I do some loading/ pushing buttons on a clay ground so want something that I can hear everything the shooter says while at the same time when I'm shooting not having the ringing in my ears! What's the difference between Leaps and EEPs other than quite a bit of money?!

They should be perfect for your use.

I sometimes augment them with a pair of unbranded over ear electronic muffs (similar 24dB SNR spec to Howard Leight) if someone is shooting an un-moderated cannon at the tunnel range.

On their own at 34dB SNR the LEPs give twice the perceived volume protection but three times the sound pressure protection that the Howard Leight's do.

The only difference between the LEPs and the EEPs appears to be the carry case and the inclusion of the neck band in the LEPs.

The carry case on my LEPs has a compartment for 3 AA batteries so that you can recharge them on the go...handy facility, but I have never used it. They run for 16 hours and I have never run out of charge. I just plug it into a USB charger at home or in the car. If they ever did run out of power they revert to passive other than active protection so you just will not be able to hear every thing around you so well.

They hold well in my ears using the 3M Peltor CCC-GRM-25 ear tips so I have not used the neck band either.

The EEP specify the same attenuation range (ear tip dependant).

They have the same three volume levels (low, ambient and enhanced) as the LEPs so when mine eventually fail I will just buy the EEPs.

I bought mine 3. December 2017 and they are still working perfectly with weekly use.

Alan

Last edited:
Have a shop about you can pick some peltor sportac ones up for about 99 quid, by far the best ones for the money. Also very comfy can hear everything about you and the battery's last a very long time!

It was Alan who brought my attention to the 3M LEPs (The EEP version wasn't available at that point) as I was looking for something of that nature and couldn't really find anything to suit me. I would much prefer foam type in ear plugs as the moulded ones have some problems which sort of ruled them out for me - they can't approach the attenuation of the foam ones because they are basically hard plastic and need "space" around them to allow them in and out.

I must say that I've been very pleased with them and they seem ideally suited to my purposes, mostly I use them with the shotgun but also sometimes if I'm at the target with the rifle. I think that the audio quality is good for my purposes and they offer good attenuation leaving me with no concerns about shooting. There were some complaints about wind noise with them and it is true that when the wind blows then they do produce wind noise, as does almost any microphone unless bulky protection is provided. My view is that they control the wind noise as well as can be expected in such a small package and I've not found it overly annoying, in the end you can't have a small enclosure, good bandwidth, and no wind noise. Being able to just pop them into your ears is so handy especially with the shotgun and to be honest I've shot with them and forgotten to take them out afterwards. However, and I repeat this every time this comes up, you will need to do some testing to get a foam ear tip that is comfortable and works for you as it isn't a case of one size fits all. This is the key to getting comfort and good attenuation from them. This isn't a big job but many people seem to think that they should just be able to open the packet and that is it but there is a reason why various types of tip are provided and why various types and sizes are available. If you aren't willing to do some testing and find something comfortable then these aren't the protection for you but it probably took you longer to type your question than it will to try out various ear tips.

I bought some eep type a few weeks ago and have been in discussion with 3m as I might be considering them for adoption at work and they said they are about to release a sporting version of the tactical ones. So the equivalent of the elp I think. much the same as the yellow green type but orange for hunters. I have the ‘sell sheet’ from them if anyone is interested.

i used mine at the range yesterday and they were great. Good sound attenuation but I was able to chat with others in the tunnel with no issues. In fact, I forgot I was even wearing them. I recommend them, especially when compared to £500 plus alternatives.
not used the, outside though, it was a tunnel range. And I haven’t stalked in the, so not sure how they will be in wind and whether they are affected by wind noise.

I bought some eep type a few weeks ago and have been in discussion with 3m as I might be considering them for adoption at work and they said they are about to release a sporting version of the tactical ones. So the equivalent of the elp I think. much the same as the yellow green type but orange for hunters. I have the ‘sell sheet’ from them if anyone is interested.

i used mine at the range yesterday and they were great. Good sound attenuation but I was able to chat with others in the tunnel with no issues. In fact, I forgot I was even wearing them. I recommend them, especially when compared to £500 plus alternatives.
not used the, outside though, it was a tunnel range. And I haven’t stalked in the, so not sure how they will be in wind and whether they are affected by wind noise.
Thanks, probs wouldn't end up stalking in them but good to know that they'd be up to it! What's the difference between the sporting and tactical ones?

Back