Element Helix 6-24x50 SFP - Issues

Fox Red

Read all the great reviews so deceided to buy one for my 204 today. First impressions good.

Nice clear ret and turrets to match. Glass seemed OK for what I need. More importantly for me, clicks feel crisp enough, seems to track well, I like the zero stop and it's easy to reset the turrets without an Allen key.

Zeroed the scope no problems and focused on some long range rabbits. Bit of a disaster when I zoomed in to 200 yards and beyond on 24x. Blurry. I mean REALLY blurry. Unusable at 300 yards. Played with the eye focus ring etc etc. No difference.

Parallax markers run out at 300 yards and it goes onto the infinity symbol. Becomes very difficult on 24x at 200 yards and then virtually impossible at 300 yards and beyond I'd say. Like trying to look through water. No ethical/precise shots possible.

Didn't read any reviews like this, so I've either missed something or I have a faulty one. I'll be popping back to the shop with it tomorrow. Shame really, it looked great on the face of it. IMG_20210603_174624.jpg

Last edited:

Fox Red

Just by way of update:

I went back to the shop this morning and looked through the FFP version. Night and day difference. Parallax works well, feels smoother and even the clicks are more positive, so I came back home with it.

So, either that's how the SFP versions are or I got a Friday special. Suspect it's the latter.

si.b

That crazy joe bloke who dose reviews slated it on YouTube and the south African kid who fronts/ partners that company got him to pull the video

swagger700

My pal got one and paralax wouldn't work ,spoke directly to helix and they said rings had to be torque to correct setting to work properly

Fox Red

My pal got one and paralax wouldn't work ,spoke directly to helix and they said rings had to be torque to correct setting to work properly
That was the reply I got from Element Optics when I messaged them through Facebook. That was after I'd arrived home with the replacement.

Always finger tightened my mounts using the smaller end of the allen key (if that makes sense) to minimise over tightening. Never had a problem before and mounted the FFP the same way with no problems.

@swagger700 did your mate re-torque and find it solved the problem?

swagger700

First scope was replaced straight away then when second scope was same he contacted element directly. When it was torque to correct settings worked fine, they said tolerance was that tight the torque is critical

Fox Red

First scope was replaced straight away then when second scope was same he contacted element directly. When it was torque to correct settings worked fine, they said tolerance was that tight the torque is critical
That's interesting. Thanks. Good for others to know, too.

Cottis

Am I understanding this correctly? The scope must be clamped in the rings to a very particular torque setting in order for the scope's parallax/focus function to work correctly?

That means I will never buy an Element scope. Sounds ridiculous and appalling quality.

phillips321

Am I understanding this correctly? The scope must be clamped in the rings to a very particular torque setting in order for the scope's parallax/focus function to work correctly?

That means I will never buy an Element scope. Sounds ridiculous and appalling quality.
That's what im also confused about.... why would torque settings of the rings have any affect on the parallax working unless im completely missing something about the mechanical design of these???

Cottis

That's what im also confused about.... why would torque settings of the rings have any affect on the parallax working unless im completely missing something about the mechanical design of these???
There must be some confusion in one of the previous contributions. I just cannot imagine that could be the case. Bizarre if it is though.

swagger700

That's what element told my pal. And when it was torque down to there recommend setting paralax worked with no issues

Ttocs

I had a Hawke Sidewinder that, even at the correct torque, didn’t like being clamped in rings; the parallax adjustment for SFP scopes must be just where the front mount clamps over the tube. Buy a Zeiss Conquest or a Meopta, same sort of money - problem sorted!
N